PDA

View Full Version : curse you Jupiter!! (shakes fist)

hewhocaves
2004-Apr-19, 04:19 AM
*sigh* so between school, the ridiculous amounts of rain / snow the NE has been getting and the fact that I live about 15 mi from NYC, I haven't had what you would call an amazing amount of opportunities to play with my new 127mm schmidt-cas scope.

So I dragged it out late friday night, cause it was so nice (55F) and i needed something to take away from the icky taste of the yankees getting their butts handed to them. I remember it being real easy to find the great red spot on jupiter in the 1980s, but in the last couple of years it's been next to impossible. Ususally because I'm out at the wrong time. (also my eyes arent what they were when i was 10... too many comp games)

the sky was nice, like I said, and seeing was pretty sweet. I could see both of the thick bands on jupiter, and when i kicked up the mag to around 300x, all four came in pretty nice. But Iknew my eyes weren't goin to stay with me long at 11:30 at night, so I decided to just enjoy the view while I could.

Lo and behold, as I'm looking at it, the GRS snaps into focus for a brief second. I blink and look again. After a couple of moments, there it is, jsut like I'd remembered it. It popped into clear view a couple more times, and then.. well.. lets just say my SC needs a dew shield. But I was happy, I got to see it.

Or did I? Dopey me can't be happy with the aesthetic feeling. no, I gotta CHECK and see if it was turned towards us at that point... guesswhat.. it wasn't.

Well, that's just great. So what the blankety blank did I see then. It was along the base of the lower major equatorial belt (i.e. the correct one) and in the lower right quad. it was slightly thicker than the belt itself. I checked S&T and my copy of starry night and tehy both agree that the GRS was on the hidden side of jupiter.

*Scratches head*

oh well. I can't complain. I'm graduating in three weeks and have the summer off. I'm seriously thinking of dragging my scope to Arizona :-) for a camping trip.

john

Taibak
2004-Apr-19, 05:04 AM
Could be worse.

I once taught an entire three week astronomy course where we never got a chance to point our telescopes at the Moon, thanks to the local weather and an unfortunately timed new moon.

That and as a citizen of Red Sox Nation, I rather like it when the Yankees get their butts handed to them.

Tensor
2004-Apr-19, 12:24 PM
oh well. I can't complain. I'm graduating in three weeks and have the summer off. I'm seriously thinking of dragging my scope to Arizona :-) for a camping trip.

john

A 127 mm SC should be portable enough to take with you. And you should have great skies, as long as you are not too close to Greater metropolitian Phoenix.

hewhocaves
2004-Apr-19, 12:50 PM
Could be worse.

I once taught an entire three week astronomy course where we never got a chance to point our telescopes at the Moon, thanks to the local weather and an unfortunately timed new moon.

That and as a citizen of Red Sox Nation, I rather like it when the Yankees get their butts handed to them.

yes, i thoroughly enjoy getting my butt beaten in April (yeah, I play for the team.. i play left out). Gets all those losses out of the way for october :-)

i hear you about the skies. mother nature has been pretty unkind to us over the last few months.

I bought the 127mm specifically for travel (i also have an 8" dob). amusingly, the dob is lighter. (no counterwights) I drive a honda civic so volume is more important than weight. sometimes I really kick myself for not getting an SUV, and then i look at gas prices...

oh well. give and take.

when we finally do get some clear weather, I'm going to take a morning look at that comet. I caught it as a faint smudge in early march with the 127 when it was around mag 7.

glen chapman
2004-Apr-19, 01:14 PM
Seeing - not seeing red spot

I have been fooled a couple of times - thought it was the spot...no dice. Suspect it just a moment when the festoons sort of all point the right way. In the right kind of sky

Have an 8inch Dob...for the record

tracer
2004-Apr-19, 03:09 PM
"festoons"?

Kaptain K
2004-Apr-19, 08:06 PM
"festoons"?
Jovian observer's jargon for a cloud that hangs from its "home" belt or zone into an adjacent zone or belt. Every field (and sub-field and sub-sub-field) has its own set of terms that have precise meaning to those in that field.

Monoxide Child
2004-Apr-20, 06:06 AM
YAY, ARIZONA!

With all these forest fires here, it'll be interesting camping :-/. lol.

Lorcan Faol
2004-Apr-20, 04:46 PM
Tonight, my astronomy professor is setting up a telescope outside of the physics/astronomy hall and is going to be observing Jupiter (if these clouds clear up). I plan to go out and join him. The red spot is supposed to be visible tonight.
Sadly, the sky is completely covered with clouds right now... so it doesn't look like our chances are too good.