PDA

View Full Version : Do you know of any "But honestly Monica!" stories (in Space/Astronomy/Physics)?

Nereid
2010-Nov-19, 03:07 PM
The title says it all; if you don't know about "But honestly Monica!" just google it! :)

slang
2010-Nov-19, 10:27 PM
It makes me think of the telescope pointing data in the search for Eris, that was unintentionally accessible. But I'm not sure which aspect of that cookery story you're looking for..

Nereid
2010-Nov-19, 11:10 PM
It makes me think of the telescope pointing data in the search for Eris, that was unintentionally accessible. But I'm not sure which aspect of that cookery story you're looking for..
Unattributed use of material created by others, especially when done with the full knowledge that creator(s) of the 'reused' material had clearly indicted terms of use/requested any re-use be given appropriate credit, etc.

Perhaps the most blatant examples might be putting a copyright notice on material you put together, knowing full well that it includes stuff that is already copyrighted by the creators of that stuff (or otherwise comes with clear requests regarding attribution).

Here's a made up example: an APOD which does not give credit to its source, where the source clearly requests such credit for re-use, and where the APOD editors know full-well of such a request (AFAIK, APOD has never done anything like this, certainly not knowingly).

otakenji
2010-Nov-20, 12:18 AM
More on it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooks_Source_infringement_controversy

Donnie B.
2010-Nov-22, 11:42 PM
There was an example in my job. A particular electronic circuit was designed by a colleague of mine. We shared the design with a "sister company" -- that is, a different brand under the same overall corporate umbrella.

Engineers from the other brand later claimed that design as their own and received corporate "attaboy" points for it.

It's still a sore spot after many years. At least they didn't "Honestly, Monica" us by claiming it was a lousy design to begin with and only worked after they got their hands on it -- we still use the same design today -- but I don't see how they could have done that without admitting they didn't do the original design.

mfumbesi
2010-Nov-23, 06:14 AM
I wasn't aware of this story, it was indeed a LOL fest.

korjik
2010-Nov-25, 08:34 PM
Are we really going to use a meme which is about an internet lynching?

MAPNUT
2010-Nov-30, 04:15 PM
You mean you object to the Internet's objections to Ms. Griggs' objections to Monica's objections?