PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear on History Channel?

Solfe
2010-Nov-19, 11:56 PM
Its a remake of Top Gear, with Americans. (Disclosure - I am an American, too.)

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear

What makes the original Top Gear so great is the personalities. What did producers tell the guys for this new show: "Act like Hammond, Clarkson and May"? or "pretend you never saw the show."?

This knock off is DOOOOOOOM'ed! Sorry, I forgot the tags for reverb. ;)

novaderrik
2010-Nov-20, 12:44 AM
i'll watch it- Top Gear is currently my favorite show on all of television. it's just a magical combination of everything that makes for a good hour of television- i even liked the Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz interview and i absolutely loathe Tom Cruise..
this version is being produced by the BBC- so that gives me hope.. of course, all the other Top Gears around the world have also been BBC production, and they are all said to be terribly bad..
the scuttlebutt in the car forums i hang out on is that it really won't be that bad- some people that were at the studio tapings a few weeks ago said that the pre filmed segments were well done and entertaining and had the same awesome production values that makes the Brit version so much fun to watch. the clips i've seen so far have backed that up.
one thing that will be different is that they are filming the show farther in advance than the original- Clarkson, Hammond, and May get to talk and make jokes about things that are currently in the news and fresh on the minds of the people in the viewing audience. this version won't really have that luxury, but that might actually be a good thing- i really don't care what Ruttledge Wood, Tanner Foust, and Adam Ferrara think about current events.
it would have been awesome if Adam Carolla would have stayed on, and if they had gotten someone like Tim Allen instead of Ruttledge Wood...

hawaii50girl
2010-Nov-21, 01:22 AM
Sorry I am not going to watch this version of Top Gear. I rather stick to the original one plus with Clarkson, Hammond, and May they make it so funny when watching it.

novaderrik
2010-Nov-21, 05:29 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5694780/first-drive-top-gear-usa

here is a review of it. jalopnik seems to like it, and i'm sure that has nothing to do with all the History Channel logos plastered all over the site for those of us that don't run Firefox or an adblocker of some sort.

kleindoofy
2010-Nov-21, 09:11 PM
Considering that most Americans have automatic transmissions in their cars and have probably forgotten or have never learned what a gear is, shouldn't the show in the US be called something like "Top D-position"? ;)

Btw, I actually watched 25 seconds of an episode once. Not much better than a test pattern.

JohnD
2010-Nov-21, 10:58 PM
Did THIS one get shown in the US?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9sNDtAH5UU&feature=related

Watch it all from episode one, but the 'boys' are most offensive to their hosts in ep.5.

John

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Nov-22, 01:46 AM
My favorite is when they turn a a car into a shuttle, well they tried.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20

novaderrik
2010-Nov-22, 02:46 AM
Buzz Aldrin will be the first interview guest..

novaderrik
2010-Nov-22, 02:47 AM
Considering that most Americans have automatic transmissions in their cars and have probably forgotten or have never learned what a gear is, shouldn't the show in the US be called something like "Top D-position"? ;)

Btw, I actually watched 25 seconds of an episode once. Not much better than a test pattern.

you are more than welcome to not watch it.

Solfe
2010-Nov-22, 05:20 AM

I normally don't feel safe in an automatic, with all the surprising bump and jump that the automatic transmission does. When I shift, the vehicle does bump and jump, but at least we changed gears together at the correct time and speed.

I have to admit my van is an automatic, but it is monstrously big and very busy to drive. It's a slightly larger than normal F350 Econoline conversion van. Unless I hit a H2 or bigger, its just going to get stuck in the wheel well, so I don't worry about much.