PDA

View Full Version : Can't get hired because of... unemployment

Donnie B.
2010-Nov-24, 02:42 AM
This post does not refer to me. I've been lucky enough to remain employed through the current economic downturn.

A local public radio station recently did a story on the "long term unemployed" -- people out of work for six months or longer. In the course of their research, they were told (off the record) by hiring managers that they would not consider hiring someone who was unemployed.

Apparently their perception is that companies retain their best employees when doing layoffs, so the people that did get cut are the "chaff". That might be true during a normal economy or even a mild downturn, but the current situation has been so dire that many companies had to cut deep or even close their doors altogether.

The radio story mentioned that this is being investigated as a possible discrimination issue by government agencies and advocacy groups. One reason is that minorities have been harder hit during this recession so are disproportionately affected by any bias against the unemployed.

I'd be interested in any BAUTers' experiences and reactions to this issue. Please keep the rules in mind regarding politics.

Fazor
2010-Nov-24, 02:58 AM
I've actually heard that it's much harder to get a job if you're currently unemployed in an article written years ago, so it's not a new issue, though I'm sure it's more prevelant of a problem given the increased number of unemployed.

I don't have anything to really say about it other than it really sucks.

jfribrg
2010-Nov-24, 05:26 AM
It is definitely harder to get a job if you don't currently have one. It always has been. It's the classic alpha risk vs. beta risk. Alpha risk is the risk of hiring the wrong person. Beta risk is the risk of not hiring the perfect candidate. If you hire the wrong person, the entire company will know that you made a terrible decision. If you don't hire the right person, nobody will know it (not even you will). It is very hard to tell the loafer from the highly qualified person who is out of work through no fault of their own, but the alpha risk is much higher when you hire an unemployed person. With such a large pool of applicants, hiring managers can afford to be very selective.

Maha Vailo
2010-Nov-24, 08:12 PM
So, how can an unemployed person increase their chances of getting a job? My parents both need one desperately.

- Maha Vailo

tashirosgt
2010-Nov-26, 04:38 PM
There is an old saying: "Pull beats push". It raises the question of how the employment situation should be viewed. You can imagine it as people who are not personally known to a company filling out applications, going to interviews etc. But what fraction of the real job market fits this? Many jobs are attained because the person seeking employment has a friend who has a friend that needs to hire someone.

TJMac
2010-Nov-27, 08:42 AM
I have found, over the years, that job-hunting is more difficult if you are currently out of work. Which I find odd, since any job I have ever lost, due to downsizing, was based solely on the merits of seniority and nothing else. So I find the "chaff being separated" argument a bit off the track.

Still seems easier to find a new job if you still have your old one though.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Nov-27, 02:08 PM
Networking is the best way to find employment. I think I only got one job in my career from answering an ad.

Very long term unemployment is hard to mask, however, and can make finding a job through job boards nigh impossible. Your parents might try creating profiles on LinkedIn, one of the better boards, and then spending time hooking up with everyone on the board they know, plus getting recommendations for each job position listed. Meanwhile, if there are companies with no open positions in your parent's area but that nonetheless provide a match with their profiles, paying a courtesy visit to HR with the idea that a known face will stand out in a future recruitment effort is a possibility. I know of some folks who have devised surveys of HR managers who then call HR directors and schedule appointments, build rapport in the interview, and hope the HR person gets curious about them. This is a simple version of a well-known direct sales technique.

In my case, I took time off my career at age 50 to manage my son's life threatening illness. I was then silly enough to let my network know of events in my personal life. Not a good idea (I scared everyone into thinking I was a health care cost demon), so your folks might also take care to never mention anything dire when networking. Gotta maintain a game face. The end of my story is that I sold my home and invested in a small business (restaurant) where family members, including my disabled son, can work. The entrepreneurial route to employment should not be overlooked, but not jumped into lightly (I expected the learning curve, but did not expect to have to muscle up to toss miscreants).

novaderrik
2010-Nov-27, 04:16 PM
right now, it's a "buyer's market" for employers- just as it would be in any time of high unemployment. there are so many people out of work right now, that they are able to pick and choose more carefully and only hire the best of the best.
it's not a discrimination issue- they just have more people to pick from right now, and if they can pick up currently employed people that are looking for something better, then they will choose them over someone that hasn't had a job for a while. it's also a bad time to be older and unemployed- most places are going to go for the younger and more inexperienced person that can be trained and paid less than the person that has been working for a while and thinks that they are worth more.
those that think that it's not fair need to realize that life isn't fair and if they want to make themselves more desirable to potential employers, then they need to step up their game and make themselves stand out from the crowd.

Maha Vailo
2010-Nov-28, 10:57 PM
Networking is the best way to find employment. I think I only got one job in my career from answering an ad.

Very long term unemployment is hard to mask, however, and can make finding a job through job boards nigh impossible. Your parents might try creating profiles on LinkedIn, one of the better boards, and then spending time hooking up with everyone on the board they know, plus getting recommendations for each job position listed. Meanwhile, if there are companies with no open positions in your parent's area but that nonetheless provide a match with their profiles, paying a courtesy visit to HR with the idea that a known face will stand out in a future recruitment effort is a possibility. I know of some folks who have devised surveys of HR managers who then call HR directors and schedule appointments, build rapport in the interview, and hope the HR person gets curious about them. This is a simple version of a well-known direct sales technique.

Thanks, but how do we start with networking? Not too many of my family's friends are either alive or live within the state, unfortunately.

The entrepreneurial route to employment should not be overlooked, but not jumped into lightly (I expected the learning curve, but did not expect to have to muscle up to toss miscreants).

Thanks, but I wouldn't even know where to start re: entrepreneurship or even how to do it with almost no money. Any tips on that?

- Maha Vailo

otakenji
2010-Nov-29, 06:47 AM
As of January 2011 I will have been unemployed for over six months. I refuse to take a McJob. I did not go to college to waste my talents.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-29, 09:17 AM
So, how can an unemployed person increase their chances of getting a job? My parents both need one desperately.

- Maha Vailo
Take any job you can get, including a McJob.
Being employed as anything will increase your chance of even being considered for the real job you want.

As of January 2011 I will have been unemployed for over six months. I refuse to take a McJob. I did not go to college to waste my talents.
Remember that every month you're unemployed because you're too proud to get a job that is "beneath you" makes you less qualified for your chosen profession as well, since your knowledge get obsolete.
You are basically letting pride stand in the way of getting where you want to end up, by volunteering for the bottom of the pile of applicants.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Nov-29, 02:27 PM
After about a year and a half of looking I can't even get a McJob but those are rare were I live. It is mostly factory work in either fish processing, candy making or particle board and they won't even hire me. The main problem is that I have mostly an academic background and work in a call center so they probably think I can't do that kind of work.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-29, 05:39 PM

Not trying to be funny, but I take pride in my ability to swallow my pride when it comes to jobs when I'm out of work. I've done jobs that I would have put far below my talents - until I found out what they actually entail.

If you're out of work, the only smart thing to do is take a job if you can get one. If you can't get one, do some voluntary work. It gets you out of bed, gives you a sense of worth, and looks better on an application form than, "Stayed at home because my college education means I'm too good to get my hands dirty."

novaderrik
2010-Nov-29, 06:36 PM

i'm sure your parents will continue to be more than happy to have you so conveniently located in the basement in case they need the lawn mowed or something.. unless that's a
waste" of your talents..

Hlafordlaes
2010-Nov-29, 07:43 PM
Thanks, but how do we start with networking? Not too many of my family's friends are either alive or live within the state, unfortunately.

Start by joining relevant interest groups on a job board. Then make posts in discussions that build up your perceived mastery in the field or area. Eventually one can strike up a personal conversation with someone employed in that field and explore openings or find new contacts they know.

Thanks, but I wouldn't even know where to start re: entrepreneurship or even how to do it with almost no money. Any tips on that?

Biggest tip is that any start-up outside one's area of expertise is likely to fail, bigtime. In the US, acquiring a franchise (one well researched!) helps overcome the noobie pitfalls. Make sure you understand what working capital is, which is what most people forget about to their demise. Financing can only come mostly from personal assets, although some franchises have some small support available (eg, installments in lieu of upfront fees), but using a home as collateral or selling it outright is often the only option.

Githyanki
2010-Nov-29, 11:20 PM
That's what I liked about Buenos Aires; for $20,000USD I could buy my own business.

It's true; inexperienced and short-sighted managers would prefer not to hire people on unemployment on the assumption that they are some how, "Unqualified" or less desirable that's why they got let go. Experienced managers on the other hand know the political games that goes on in business and evaluates each potential new employee on a person by person basis and ignores inferences. In other words, if you're on unemployment and some manager tells you off the record that they don't hire people on Unemployment, then you tell them, "Off the record", they're a #$%@ing idiot and walk out of there. That's what I'd do. I don't want to work for a place that's THAT incompetent. Remember, interviews work both ways.

After being out of the country and unemployed for four months, I had no problems getting another job. It doesn't pay as good as the one I had for five years (senority), but it's enough money for me to live off of and I get to practice my Spanish. Yes, I did have a four-month gap on my employment history but guess what, I have money. I can leave the US and fly to exotic locations while they had to work. If they don't like gaps, too bad.

It's easier to find a job when you have a job because you're already active and in a routine; plus you have more confidence because you are employed.

Ronald Brak
2010-Nov-30, 12:33 AM
In Australia we have a custom called lying that is often used to obtain employment.

novaderrik
2010-Nov-30, 12:48 AM
In Australia we have a custom called lying that is often used to obtain employment.

we don't do that in the USA- we just embellish our accomplishments and/or leave out the bad stuff..

Ronald Brak
2010-Nov-30, 12:52 AM
we don't do that in the USA- we just embellish our accomplishments and/or leave out the bad stuff..

Don't feel bad, that counts.

Githyanki
2010-Nov-30, 06:41 AM

I believe that custom is universal.

rommel543
2010-Nov-30, 05:33 PM
Unemployed = taking time off to spend time with the family.

A family friend was laid off from his construction job a couple of years ago. During that time there was a huge slump in the market for skilled workers. If you weren't related to the owner you had the possibility of being laid off. What he did was volunteer with Habitat for Humanity during that time. 1/2 time was spent looking for work, the other time was spent assisting build houses. On his resume he then put that he took time off to volunteer with Habitat. Obviously not everyone can do this, but there are other organizations that would be more than willing to accept volunteers in ANYONE's line of work. Being a software developer I could volunteer to any organization to work on their computers, network infrastructure, website, making excel spread sheets, etc. It also looks doubly good on a resume because you continue "working" and you are doing volunteer work.

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-30, 06:04 PM
I've been voluntarily unemployed (retired) for about six months now. One of the factors in my decision to quit was to leave a spot for a younger person who needed the job more than me. Not the biggest factor, but a factor. I need to find some volunteer stuff to do, once I get done with a few deferred maintenance items around here.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-30, 06:13 PM
Excellent example, rommel543.

When I was laid off from my job in software engineering in 2002, I volunteered in a local junior school. It was seriously scary at first, as some of the kids came from "difficult" backgrounds. I was totally outside my comfort zone. But I look back on it as one of the best things I ever did. Later, after I'd left to do a McJob, the school found enough money to employ a classroom assistant for a term so I was invited back. The pay was actually slightly worse, but I went for it anyway.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Dec-02, 05:23 PM
After being out of the country and unemployed for four months, I had no problems getting another job. It doesn't pay as good as the one I had for five years (senority), but it's enough money for me to live off of and I get to practice my Spanish. Yes, I did have a four-month gap on my employment history but guess what, I have money. I can leave the US and fly to exotic locations while they had to work. If they don't like gaps, too bad.

It's easier to find a job when you have a job because you're already active and in a routine; plus you have more confidence because you are employed.
The trick here is that your gap was spent doing something other than staying at home doing nothing, which counts as being active.
"Active", and it doesn't really matter that much with what, is what sells in a job seeking situation, since that shows that you're likely to be motivated to actually work if you get the job.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Dec-06, 12:49 AM
Talking about looking for any job. Last week I applied and interviewed for a cashier job at a convenience store. The interview went well I guessed, we even had a brief talk about astronomy. Did not get the job and in the email she said thanks for the conversation about astrology.

Last year to earn a little money I tried tipping. Tipping around here is going down in the woods and gather the tips of fir tree branches to make Christmas wreaths out of. I only did a few hours a day for a couples days and earned 24 dollars. Didn't do this year because I can't afford to keep my cell phone active and did not want to miss someone calling me about a job.

rommel543
2010-Dec-06, 03:53 PM
Well, worst comes to worst there are sites out there that people hire other people to do small jobs. Starting off it's low pay, and pretty menial stuff like "Transcribe this text", translation services, need 5 different pictures of different types of trains. You log in, check the postings, accept a job, do the work and submit the finished copy (what ever it is). The poster then pays you through a PayPal account system. You then supposed to get a 'rating' from the hiring person as to how well you did the job. As your rating goes up you have access to better jobs. You also give a rating to the hiring person. If their rating goes up they have access to more people and of course, better rated people. I don't remember the name of the site, I was at a developer meeting with one of the people who work on the Amazon website giving a seminar. The back-end system that they use for Amazon is also used in this work trade site, which is how I heard about it. The guy said there are people who are in school and make a living on doing jobs off the site.

As well if you are fluent in any other languages, translations work has money in it, and you can do it at home.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Dec-16, 08:59 PM
I tried one of those sites but it has been a week and heard nothing from them. But I have some temp work cleaning up after a local flood, it is only for week but at least I will have money to get a couple of Christmas presents.

BigDon
2010-Dec-17, 04:31 AM
I believe that custom is universal.

Except that some CIO's are famous for summarily firing people who have embelished their resumes, often in the middle of a conversation. Seems some actually read all the resumes so they know basically what talent they have on hand. So if said issue comes up and he comes up to talk to you about it and in truth the skill was something you had been meaning to learn he fired you on the spot.

The fact that that happens is never emphasized enough. And it's usually from a sweet job. (From my perspective, any job over 130k in USD plus bennies, is a sweet job.)

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Dec-17, 04:43 PM
But I have some temp work cleaning up after a local flood, it is only for week but at least I will have money to get a couple of Christmas presents.

They had to many people there when I showed up, bit of a long story. But there is another place looking for work so I will go there later today.

BigDon
2010-Dec-17, 04:55 PM
Moving companies aren't hiring? If you can't hump sofas all day try to hire on as a packer. How about the decorating companies that put up the large Christmas displays? Large displays always require muscle. (I used to work for the people who did the displays in the lobby of the TransAmerica Pyramid and the Bank Of America building. One corner of the lobby had nine trees with a twentythree footer centered and the other trees descending down to either side. No skinny little decorator is going to be hauling 23 foot trees out of no truck.)

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Dec-17, 08:07 PM
Here the moving companies are centered on Saint John and Fredericton.

Went in town and applied at the store, filled out the same form I filled out already online a couple of months ago but my mother is on you apply in person to get the job bit lately.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Dec-17, 09:13 PM
The problem but she expects people to hire on the spot which never happens she does not realize that they person hiring has to checkout the info on the application or resume.

novaderrik
2010-Dec-17, 11:10 PM
Here the moving companies are centered on Saint John and Fredericton.

Went in town and applied at the store, filled out the same form I filled out already online a couple of months ago but my mother is on you apply in person to get the job bit lately.

that's the best way to get a job. if you were looking to hire someone and you had two identical applications- one an online application and one that was submitted in person- which one would you go with?
personally, i'd go with the person that took the time and made the effort to actually come in over the person that did nothing more than click on "send".

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Dec-17, 11:47 PM
I've done both and also tried to get a temp job with a store were the manger use to work at the same call center I use to, still no luck.

Celestial Mechanic
2010-Dec-18, 05:24 AM
{Snip!} How about the decorating companies that put up the large Christmas displays? Large displays always require muscle. {Snip!}Most Christmas displays in America these days go up in late September. In Canada they still might be sensible enough to wait until the end of November.

novaderrik
2010-Dec-18, 09:05 AM
Hey I'm just wondering is it too late for someone like me since I'm only 21 years old to get another Job since I sort of got released from my other job last year? I live right beside Livingston College. I'm guessing I'm too old for that college since I am 21 and graduated from high school last year in June? There aren't many good places where I'm at even living on the East Coast of the US. I'm guessing no one would hire me because of me getting fired from my other one and being that I'm not a teenager anymore or not in college either.

regardless of what everyone seems to be saying these days, there are a lot of jobs out there. there is a job out there for everyone that wants a job- it might not be your dream job and it might not pay a lot, but it's a job that can sustain you until something better comes along.
just look on your local Craigslist and see what's available.
you are young, i don't think anyone would expect you to have a lot of working experience. yo ucan use that to your advantage- you aren't yet jaded and don't think you deserve the best jobs with the highest pay...
when interviewing for a job, the last thing the HR person wants to hear from you is a sob story about how you can't find a job. if you are whining about not being able to get a job, how much whining are you going to do once you have a job and the expectations get real?
if you want a job, go get it. if you don't get it, then pick a different one and go get that one.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Dec-19, 05:44 PM
regardless of what everyone seems to be saying these days, there are a lot of jobs out there. there is a job out there for everyone that wants a job- it might not be your dream job and it might not pay a lot, but it's a job that can sustain you until something better comes along... just look on your local Craigslist and see what's available

Think twice. The total number of advertised (and non-advertised) job openings does not exceed the number of unemployed people seeking work. That there are any openings at all is not necessarily an indication of the health of the job market, rather of the natural attrition and replacement rates for existing positions in the current economy.

Going to where the work is is also far more difficult currently, given that many cannot unload property in order to pick up stakes and move. This is even more true in the EU, given language, legal, and practical barriers to labor mobility.

I suspect the existence of classified ads is fueling a bit of confirmation bias with regards to the posited-yet-counterfactual "suspect" work ethic of the unwashed masses.

Githyanki
2010-Dec-19, 11:23 PM
As for the, "Apply On-line" thing, some prospective employers, wouldn't even talk to me. They just told me to apply online. Seriously, I went to a few places several times and I just wanted to talk to an HR rep. Nope. They insisted I apply online and they'd call me.

Except that some CIO's are famous for summarily firing people who have embelished their resumes, often in the middle of a conversation. Seems some actually read all the resumes so they know basically what talent they have on hand. So if said issue comes up and he comes up to talk to you about it and in truth the skill was something you had been meaning to learn he fired you on the spot.

Yes, my greatest fear is the president of the company showing up and personally firing me when they find out there's no such thing as ACME Corporation and I was never VP of marketing under under the CEO: Willie E. Coyote.

If you put something on your resume, you have to be able to back it up. I put, "Can communicate in Spanish". I didn't put, "Fluent". I've spent the last few months communicating with people that only speak Spanish. Though, their accents here are funny, I can still get the jist and communicate what I want; not have full on discussions in Spanish, but I can communicate.

Taeolas
2010-Dec-20, 01:27 PM
Most Christmas displays in America these days go up in late September. In Canada they still might be sensible enough to wait until the end of November.

Generally speaking, Remembrance Day (Nov 11) is the signal to go full out Christmas, though some start preparing after Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October).

But in this province, we're still small potatoes enough that most Store Christmas Displays are only set up by workers in the stores, even more so in the small towns like St. Stephen. Our smallness does hurt us in many ways, but it also means that going in person (and a polite check up visit later on if you don't hear back) will usually work better for most places than applying online; at least for retail.

That said, just speaking for Fredericton, we do seem to be doing decently. There are very few vacancies in our malls and minimalls at the moment, and a CostCo is set to be built next year. Plus many stores seem to have signs up looking for workers, including Manager positions.

BigDon
2010-Dec-20, 05:54 PM
Yes, my greatest fear is the president of the company showing up and personally firing me when they find out there's no such thing as ACME Corporation and I was never VP of marketing under under the CEO: Willie E. Coyote.

Oh sorry! I was thinking of professionals closer to my age. Who don't have to wear name tags to work.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Dec-20, 06:26 PM
Just got hired delivering flyers, at least is some cash, they guy came right to my door.Also looking into being a security guard.

BigDon
2010-Dec-21, 06:26 PM
Gotta do what you gotta do, hommes.

Eoanthropus Dawsoni
2010-Dec-21, 08:04 PM
In this area (western North Dakota) anyone with a pulse can get a job. The discovery of several new oil fields has lead to an explosion in the economy and it is likely to keep booming for some time to come. The problem that many businesses face here is a lack of workers. Even the burger flippers are being offered signing bonuses!

The down side is, housing can not be built fast enough to meet demand. Living in in a pickup cab over the winter does not appeal to most people even if they are making several $k per week.

Githyanki
2010-Dec-21, 10:15 PM
Oh sorry! I was thinking of professionals closer to my age. Who don't have to wear name tags to work.

Oh, closer to your age, like when the dinosaurs ruled.

Also, don't you work as a mover? You probably shouldn't be degrading name tags when most people who do manual labor do so because WalMart won't hire them.

LeonardLambert
2010-Dec-21, 11:31 PM
My number one rule when I am out of a job: Make a job of finding a job. Put in a forty hour week looking! You can't sit around and wait.

Githyanki
2010-Dec-22, 05:08 AM
My number one rule when I am out of a job: Make a job of finding a job. Put in a forty hour week looking! You can't sit around and wait.

That's incorrect, you must put in at least forty-hours a week. You should spend twelve-hours a day from sun up to sun down.

Celestial Mechanic
2010-Dec-22, 05:33 AM
Generally speaking, Remembrance Day (Nov 11) is the signal to go full out Christmas, though some start preparing after Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October). {Snip!} D'oh!! :doh:

I forgot that Canadian Thanksgiving is about a month earlier than American Thanksgiving. Still, Remembrance Day is much more sensible than the end of September.

LeonardLambert
2010-Dec-22, 06:41 AM
That's incorrect, you must put in at least forty-hours a week. You should spend twelve-hours a day from sun up to sun down.

What? Only work half days?

novaderrik
2010-Dec-22, 09:57 AM
Oh, closer to your age, like when the dinosaurs ruled.

Also, don't you work as a mover? You probably shouldn't be degrading name tags when most people who do manual labor do so because WalMart won't hire them.

for most people that do manual labor, Wal Mart would be a step down in both pay and status.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-22, 01:41 PM
And pay yourself time and a half for the overtime. (0*8 + 1.5*(0*4)) :think:

Taeolas
2010-Dec-22, 02:56 PM

But sunup to sundown is only 8hours and 40 minutes where I am at the moment. Where's a person supposed to find the other 3 hours and 20 minutes worth of sunlight to get a 12 hour day?

SeanF
2010-Dec-22, 03:13 PM
But sunup to sundown is only 8hours and 40 minutes where I am at the moment. Where's a person supposed to find the other 3 hours and 20 minutes worth of sunlight to get a 12 hour day?
You would get them in the summer, when sunup to sundown is 15 hours and 20 minutes. :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Dec-23, 03:09 PM
Just got hired delivering flyers, at least is some cash, they guy came right to my door.Also looking into being a security guard.

Tried the delivery job this morning only lasted an hour before my motion sickness kicked in, never had a sympton for years. The sercurity job also fall thru. Also I might be posting for a while because something worng with my laptop, I think it is the gpu. Using mothers computer now.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Dec-23, 09:23 PM
Can't help with the job, but if there is anything I can do to help you debug the laptop, PM me.

Githyanki
2010-Dec-23, 09:44 PM

Where you say? Well, that's just a 16-hour plane flight away to C.F. Buenos Aires Argentina where it's summer and you have 15 hours of day-light and plenty of jobs and a chance to work on your Castilian-Spanish.

BigDon
2010-Dec-24, 01:32 AM
Well, just to make everbody feel great, Boo just came in all excited because she just nailed a job interview for a position higher than the one she originally showed up to apply for. Branch manager for a perfumery. 70k a year, two weeks vacation and benefits.

She's nineteen. (She's been in college since 16).

I'm so pleased.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Jan-02, 08:20 AM
And you should be pleased.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Jan-02, 08:25 AM
Can't help with the job, but if there is anything I can do to help you debug the laptop, PM me.

For what I can find it is probably due to the company who made the laptop using some experimental solder. It gets brittle and the circuit is last.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jan-02, 02:39 PM
Well, just to make everbody feel great, Boo just came in all excited because she just nailed a job interview for a position higher than the one she originally showed up to apply for. Branch manager for a perfumery. 70k a year, two weeks vacation and benefits.

She's nineteen. (She's been in college since 16).

I'm so pleased.
Major congratulations are in order here.
But that's a rather large load to take on at 19, how is she at handling stress?

BigDon
2011-Jan-02, 04:45 PM
Stressfully.

The hiring manager's boss repremanded him for hiring her and her job was taken away.

After she left another full time job to take this one. She said the oportunity was just too good to pass up.

I think I'm angry at somebody.

Maha Vailo
2011-Jan-05, 12:15 PM
Start by joining relevant interest groups on a job board. Then make posts in discussions that build up your perceived mastery in the field or area. Eventually one can strike up a personal conversation with someone employed in that field and explore openings or find new contacts they know.

Thanks, but what would be some good examples of "job boards"? My parents don't want to use Craigslist because of its bad reputation.

- Maha Vailo

Maha Vailo
2011-Jan-05, 12:18 PM

So, what would be some good examples of "job boards"? My parents don't want to use Craigslist because of its bad reputation.

Biggest tip is that any start-up outside one's area of expertise is likely to fail, bigtime. In the US, acquiring a franchise (one well researched!) helps overcome the noobie pitfalls. Make sure you understand what working capital is, which is what most people forget about to their demise. Financing can only come mostly from personal assets, although some franchises have some small support available (eg, installments in lieu of upfront fees), but using a home as collateral or selling it outright is often the only option.

Trouble is, we don't even have that for collateral. What do we do then?

And what is "working capital", anyway?

- Maha Vailo

Big Bad Boo
2011-Jan-11, 05:31 AM
Found out they also fired him too. Turns out I was the last of a long list of mistakes, even though I technically wasn't there long enough to do anything.

Bobunf
2011-Jan-11, 09:00 AM
What is wrong with using Craigslist? Most jobs you go to are obvious legitimate businesses with a very public profile and most unlikely to be dangerous. If you don't use Craigslist you miss out on many significant opportunities - at least where I live. I don't know about New Brunswick.

In a large enough city the problem of having a break on your resume can be handled by making a job. For instance:

Computer consultant. Assuredly you have some friends who be coaxed into saying, "He's been my computer guru for six months and has done an excellent job. We had lots of problems with viruses and crashes, but that's all a thing of the past now." Only if you know what a virus is and have some ideas of what to do about it.

Or Home Remodeler. Have some friends help out, "He did an excellent job of remodeling my kitchen. The new appliances and cabinets are great." Know where you might buy appliances and cabinets and something about installing them.

Or Tutor: Your friends don't even have to have kids to say, "He really helped Joe with his geometry." Just be sure you know something about geometry.

Having what appears to be a penny-ante catering business is better than saying, "Unemployed." I think it does make you more employable.

Who knows? You might even do some of the "business."

Taeolas
2011-Jan-11, 12:35 PM
In New Brunswick, we don't have CraigsList. Closest we get is Kijiji. I've also had success using Career Beacon as well; that's how I got the job I'm at now (6 years and counting). Kijiji wasn't around when I was looking, or at least not as popular as it is up here now.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Jan-14, 02:46 PM
Soon they will be hiring for the census I already applied for the job.