PDA

View Full Version : SMBHs more powerful than previously thought

noncryptic
2010-Nov-25, 11:58 PM
'Russian Doll' Galaxy Reveals Black Holes' True Power
ScienceDaily (Nov. 24, 2010)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101124114711.htm

"Using their combined optical, X-ray and radio data, the scientists were able to determine how much of the jet's energy went into heating the gas around it, and how much went into making the jet glow at radio wavelengths.

They concluded that only about a thousandth of the energy went into creating the radio glow.

"This suggests that in bigger galaxies too the jets are about a thousand times more powerful than we'd estimate from their radio glow alone," said Dr Tasso Tzioumis of CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science."

noncryptic
2010-Nov-26, 12:16 AM
In hindsight the topic title is a bit over the top, but i don't seem to be able to edit it.

Cougar
2010-Nov-26, 10:36 PM
With this unusual object, a bonsai radio quasar in our own backyard, we have a unique opportunity to study the energetics of the jets.

A "bonsai radio quasar." Ha! Yeah, it's only stellar size, but with some pretty energetic jets. That'll wreak some havoc on the overarching galaxy this little "bonsai" inhabits.

antoniseb
2010-Nov-27, 12:45 AM
In hindsight the topic title is a bit over the top, but i don't seem to be able to edit it.

What would you like the title to say?

noncryptic
2010-Nov-27, 01:17 PM
What would you like the title to say?

I think "SMBHs more powerful than previously thought" would be appropriate.