PDA

View Full Version : Open University module S194: Introducing Astronomy

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-27, 10:46 AM
I'm looking for advice from anyone familiar with Open University courses related to Astronomy.

I've got some Tesco vouchers left over which I can use to enrol on the above course as long as I apply by the beginning of next month.

I've completed three 30-point Open University courses so far - a Mathematics course at level 1, another at level 2, and a Java programming course at level 2. Prior to that I did two demanding non-OU courses - a PGCE in Adult Education, and a semi-intensive course in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. This has kept be very busy for the last three years, and I was going to have a year off.

But my impression is that the Introducing Astronomy course is a) interesting and enjoyable, b) not too hard if you're already interested in the subject, and c) an easy 10 points towards the 300-point science degree. So it shouldn't be too onerous.

On the other hand, I am tempted by another short course, S196: Planets: an introduction. This one interests me more, but I am slightly put off by the fact that the course is being run for the final time in February, and some of the feedback suggests it's a little dated.

So can anybody make any suggestions to help me decide? I'd especially like to hear from people who have done the courses. Thanks in advance!