PDA

View Full Version : Quality of moderation - OUTSIDE ATM/CT

kamaz
2010-Nov-28, 10:43 AM
This poll is inspired by this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/109451-moderator-improvement/). Having read through the complaints and the previous poll (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/101079-Straw-poll-on-moderation.), I think that there should be separate polls for ATM and non-ATM sections of the forum. My rationale is that the complaints seem to be raised mostly by ATM supporters.

This poll is intended for expressing opinions about moderator action OUTSIDE the ATM/CT sections (i.e. the mainstream science board). The poll about alternative sections is here (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/109872-Quality-of-moderation-ATM-CT).

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-28, 11:20 AM
As with the twin poll to this, I have gone for About Right. There have been occasions when I think the mods have been too lenient, for instance, when three posters I can think of were abusive to me simply because I pointed out factual errors - but of the three, two have since been banned. So on balance, I think a little bit of tolerance is the way to go.

Gillianren
2010-Nov-29, 05:59 PM
Well, the person I thought got away with far more than he should and was a darling of the mods anyway has long since gotten banned anyway. So I guess that's evidence that even being a friend of a mod or two isn't a blanket protection for bad acts.

tommac
2010-Nov-30, 02:01 AM
what is the point of this ???? the people who didnt like the rules leave. And the people who like it stay ... this poll doesnt say much.

Swift
2010-Nov-30, 02:09 AM
what is the point of this ???? the people who didnt like the rules leave. And the people who like it stay ... this poll doesnt say much.
I don't think that's true, and the proof of it is the many threads in Feedback where people have told they don't like the rules. Yet many of those people are still here.

Strange
2010-Nov-30, 10:18 AM

It was to test, and perhaps provide support for, your claim that the majority of people here are unhappy with the moderation. The same claim has also been made by many others in the past (most of whom are still here as far as I know).

Those who leave or get banned for complaining about BAUT tend to be more upset by the general population of members rather than moderation per se (even if they see moderators complicit in the attitude of members).

* Just to be clear, no one (as far as I know) has been banned just for complaining but rather for the offensive way they do it. (Often followed by "I suppose you are going to ban me now...")

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-30, 06:44 PM

Perhaps you could point to the posts that say something along the lines of, "I am leaving because I don't like the rules, or the moderators' enforcement of them." Or you could tell us how many PMs you have received to that effect. Or you could point to some other sites where people said, "I used to be a member of BAUT but left because I didn't like the rules, or the moderators' enforcement of them."

Because as it stands, the data we do have does not support your assertion. At all.

Gillianren
2010-Nov-30, 08:12 PM
And the fact is, Tommac himself said that most people around here weren't happy with the moderation. He specifically included people who were still members. Ergo, if most of the members are happy with the moderation, Tommac is wrong. And, in the spirit of intellectual honesty, should acknowledge as much.

AndreasJ
2010-Nov-30, 08:57 PM
Perhaps you could point to the posts that say something along the lines of, "I am leaving because I don't like the rules, or the moderators' enforcement of them."
If I were to leave, I'd be unlikely to stick around to explain why. I suspect most people would behave likewise.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-30, 09:05 PM
If I were to leave, I'd be unlikely to stick around to explain why. I suspect most people would behave likewise.

I'm not sure that's true.

If you leave a place because it's boring to you, then sure, you'd probably simply stop posting. But if it's a place that you should be enjoying, but some aspect of it is spoiling it for you, then it's not unlikely that you'd want to vent your frustration.

Strange
2010-Nov-30, 09:08 PM
And why just leave when you could get BANNED!

AndreasJ
2010-Nov-30, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure that's true.

If you leave a place because it's boring to you, then sure, you'd probably simply stop posting. But if it's a place that you should be enjoying, but some aspect of it is spoiling it for you, then it's not unlikely that you'd want to vent your frustration.
Obviously, I can't be sure either, regarding what most people would do. But on the occasions I have left otherwise interesting fora due to unpleasant atmosphere or poor quality of moderation, I have not vented on those fora.

And why just leave when you could get BANNED!

Because if I took pride in being banned from anywhere, I'd be just like THEM. :p

djellison
2010-Dec-01, 12:37 AM

You said the majority of people HERE are unhappy with the moderation. That would reflect in these polls.

Moreover - your statement above is true of a perfectly well functioning forum. If people don't like the rules - then it's not the forum for them, and they SHOULD leave. Not every forum should adapt to suit the specific rule requests of every single person. There are forums less moderated than this, and forums more moderated than this. There is something out there for everyone...but not everywhere is for everyone, and long may that remain!