PDA

View Full Version : It's been something of a disastrous year

parallaxicality
2010-Nov-30, 10:16 AM
It's funny (Well, not funny in a haha sort of way, funny in a "Well I'll be gobsmacked by a gherkin with goitre" sort of way) I'm making a list of notable events that occurred this year for Wikipedia and the one thing that struck me reviewing the year is that Earth seems pretty pissed off at us right now.

January: 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Haiti. 230,000 dead.

February: 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Chile. Resultant tsunami kills 497.

April: 6.9 magnitude earthquake in Qinghai, China. 2000 dead.

Also April: Eruption of Eyjafjallajökull volcano in Iceland shuts down air traffic across Europe.

July: Flooding in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan. 1600 dead.

October: Landslide in Oxaca, Mexico. at least 107 dead.

Also October: Earthquake and tsunami occur off Sumatra. 400 dead.

Also October: Mount Merapi in Java erupts. 240 dead.

and that's not counting the three plane crashes, the two military coups, the European financial crisis, the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and the possible start of World War III by North Korea.

It's a funny old world.

Strange
2010-Nov-30, 10:26 AM
Another annus horribilis.

Still, things can only get better.

Can't they?

Oops.

megrfl
2010-Nov-30, 01:59 PM
Oops.

:D

In response to the op, we can't lump earth's activities with man's activities. The two have nothing to do with the other except where man's activities are harming earth. :-)

In addition, earth doesn't care, it's just doing its thing, but with man there is no excuse.

I would say that the list you provided is nothing unusual, but I did "enjoy" reading it in list form and visualizing the geographical locations -- they sure were spread around the globe.

KaiYeves
2010-Dec-01, 01:15 AM
Another annus horribilis.

Personally, I don't agree with that. Not mirabilis, but not horribilis, either.

LaurelHS
2010-Dec-01, 01:21 AM
Can't we mention some good things that happened this year? Like the Chilean mine rescue or Canada winning a record number of gold medals at the Winter Olympics?

SkepticJ
2010-Dec-01, 01:22 AM
It's funny (Well, not funny in a haha sort of way, funny in a "Well I'll be gobsmacked by a gherkin with goitre" sort of way) I'm making a list of notable events that occurred this year for Wikipedia and the one thing that struck me reviewing the year is that Earth seems pretty pissed off at us right now.

These are all trifles.

Heck, that many people die in automobile accidents each year.

How many people die of starvation, disease, and the like each year? Malaria kills over a million just by itself.

Gillianren
2010-Dec-01, 01:26 AM
My boyfriend's place of employment had a three-alarm fire Sunday.

Oh, no one was hurt, and they were in the process of moving across town anyway, but it's on the front page of our paper today as possibly threatening the local job market some more.

kleindoofy
2010-Dec-01, 01:26 AM
... Earth seems pretty pissed off at us right now ...
And yet, compared to the Earth's attitude towards and treatment of the dinosaurs, we're having a hot love affair with it.

Yup, the Earth is so emotional. It really should see a rage control therapist. It has to get a grip.

KaiYeves
2010-Dec-01, 01:30 AM
Can't we mention some good things that happened this year? Like the Chilean mine rescue or Canada winning a record number of gold medals at the Winter Olympics?

Same here. That's always my response when people say "This year was so bad!" and similar things near year's end.

danscope
2010-Dec-04, 05:03 PM
Earth tries to teach us lessons....Like.... " Hello, Don't live near volcanoes ! " . And "Hey, we just blew the stack of Iceland, fly around it ."
"Hello, don't live in a 50 year flood plain . "
BUT..... some people just won't listen . They are so much smarter, like to live on the edge, you know?

Gillianren
2010-Dec-04, 05:51 PM
Or there are lots of other sound reasons they live where they live. Fertile soil. Good trade routes. I can't explain Los Angeles.

parallaxicality
2010-Dec-04, 06:34 PM

Well, 29 miners died in New Zealand this year, but no one seemed to care about that. And one country winning all the medals means lots of other countries don't.

Optimism may be a useful outlook, but it requires a small amount of willful psychosis.

Strange
2010-Dec-04, 06:57 PM
Or there are lots of other sound reasons they live where they live. Fertile soil. Good trade routes.

And it is no coincidence they correspond with geologically active areas.

I can't explain Los Angeles.

Who can.

Gillianren
2010-Dec-04, 08:18 PM
And it is no coincidence they correspond with geologically active areas.

And flood plains.

Who can.

I lived there for eighteen years. I still have no explanation as to why anyone would build a city there. The port isn't that great, the land isn't that great, and it gets so little rain it's just basically a desert. Who lives in places like that, much less builds major cities there?

LaurelHS
2010-Dec-04, 09:43 PM
I never said I didn't care about the miners being killed in New Zealand. I was merely trying to point out that good and bad things happen every year. I do have some mental health issues, but they don't involve psychosis, thankfully.

parallaxicality
2010-Dec-04, 10:23 PM
Oh, please don't take what I said personally. I'm one of life's eternal grouches. What I said wasn't directed at you, but at optimism in general, which I often find to be a fascistically enforced doctrine imposed by people who have never experienced clinical depression. Perhaps I'm wrong for always looking on the bad side of things. But it just seems to me that if you tot up all the events that occur in a single year and weigh "good" against "bad", again and again, for the majority of people on the planet, bad wins out.

LaurelHS
2010-Dec-04, 11:56 PM
Believe me, I don't want to fascistically impose optimism on anyone. I can easily slip into a very pessimistic mindset and I just need to cling to some positive thoughts sometimes.

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-05, 03:41 PM
And flood plains.

Not to mention lahar plains. Orting, WA, is still growing, despite the fact that the reason for the nice flat valley there is several thousand years of steaming mudflows from Mt. Rainier. It's not a question of IF the whole place will once again be covered with feet of steaming mud, just when. One of my late parents' caregivers, a lady who has become like family to us, just moved there.

There's a pretty elaborate warning system in place but when they had an inadvertent activation of the sirens a few years ago the results were not impressive. The schools evacuated per drill but many of the kids would have been orphans, as few of the adults in town responded.

Gillianren
2010-Dec-05, 08:26 PM
After Nisqually, I asked the person in charge of housing at Evergreen if we had an earthquake plan. Functionally speaking, the answer was no.