PDA

View Full Version : Should I quit RPing for good

Gamefreak89
2010-Dec-03, 07:51 AM
I'm just wondering because it seems that I can't get nothing right some people quited on me during an RP session. I keep getting things mixed up between RPing and storytelling (As my mentor told me 5 years ago). For those that don't know what RPing is its Roleplaying I've already closed one of my ongoing RPs. Of course it made me sad to but I think its better that way. Anyways this happened on an RP website Roleplayerguild (Please mods don't bash me for this) I was about to respond to an RP when one of the people said right there "I can't stand this anymore" meaning he couldn't stand what I posted because I kept going out of context and not sticking with the character sheets.

The reason why I posted this here is because I know people on this website can be helpful like they did for me for the last 5 years. Jens, FrogMarch, Astromark, and Swift all helped me out so now I'm just wondering should I quit RPing for a while until I get better at it or just quite it all together and move on too something more constructive?

NickW
2010-Dec-03, 09:07 AM
I think you are limiting your choice on what you have available. You basically are saying, do I have to quit, or do I have to quit. Either way you are quitting. Why not try practicing?

Gamefreak89
2010-Dec-03, 09:14 AM
I've tried that so many times but it still just doesn't work out for me because when I'm about to post something in an RP it doesn't come out right like for example when starting a fresh new one things go stale right away. I try to turn them around but they just end up straying away from the character sheets.

NickW
2010-Dec-03, 09:28 AM
I don't know anything about character sheets. In the rare times that I do actually RP it is purely ad lib. It seems to work with the people I am playing with, and usually those are around a certain MMoRPG

Gamefreak89
2010-Dec-03, 09:48 AM
Kind of like WOW or Nine Dragons and with character sheets I mean the bio of your character their Name, age, gender, bio (Or other info).

KaiYeves
2010-Dec-03, 09:10 PM
Yes, when I do play-by-post RPs online, I always ad lib.

Gamefreak89
2010-Dec-03, 09:36 PM
Well its good to see others like RPing as I do.

geonuc
2010-Dec-04, 12:03 PM
I've never done online RP, but in my experience with live roleplaying, if you are using character sheets, you really need to stick to your defined character. Other people will become quite annoyed if you don't. Rightly so, in my opinion.

Is there a reason you keep going out of character?

Infinity Watcher
2010-Dec-04, 07:06 PM
As a GM (mostly of sci-fi games but occasionally of other genres) I agree with Geonuc, if you have a character sheet it needs to reflect in your roleplaying: if your character rolls minimum strength you will not be lifting a space shuttle and if you keep trying to act in a way inconsistent with your character I'll probably drag you aside and check what you're doing (playing a delusional character who really thinks he's strong is one possibility), one of the risks in online RP that is perhaps less dangerous in good old-fashioned table top RP is god-RP: don't say: "floors X with a single punch" say "swings a heavy punch at X" and let the player respond. That said, if you don't practice, you'll never get better, if you have conversation logs of your RP I'd be happy to take a look and work with you to improve things.

Gamefreak89
2010-Dec-05, 07:42 PM
As a GM (mostly of sci-fi games but occasionally of other genres) I agree with Geonuc, if you have a character sheet it needs to reflect in your roleplaying: if your character rolls minimum strength you will not be lifting a space shuttle and if you keep trying to act in a way inconsistent with your character I'll probably drag you aside and check what you're doing (playing a delusional character who really thinks he's strong is one possibility), one of the risks in online RP that is perhaps less dangerous in good old-fashioned table top RP is god-RP: don't say: "floors X with a single punch" say "swings a heavy punch at X" and let the player respond. That said, if you don't practice, you'll never get better, if you have conversation logs of your RP I'd be happy to take a look and work with you to improve things.

Actually I was talking about Non DnD style roleplaying as in "Non Dice Rolls" Kind of way but sure I'll scrounge up some conversation logs as a matter a fact look up Roleplayer guild on google if you have the time and click on the link and search for threads called "EdelRitter" and "A World and Country in Need of a King" which of course I take pride in my roleplaying and usually I have some spare time RPing on the threads.

rommel543
2010-Dec-07, 04:24 PM
To me it sounds like you would be more suited to be a GM rather than a participant, but then again you have to stay wary of other player's game play to make sure they are staying in the bounds of the RP.

Gamefreak89
2010-Dec-08, 06:48 AM
Kind like God modding which isn't exceptable in RPing because it goes out of the rules and boundaries.

rommel543
2010-Dec-09, 04:51 PM
I was thinking more the story teller type of GM, not God modding. The story teller gives the background to the place the players are in (weather, environment, how NPC's react, etc). To me God modding starts telling the players HOW their characters do things (player - "My rogue orc attacks the cave slime doing.. <rolls dice> 8 damage". God Mod - "You swing too hard and break your arm, you can no longer battle.") . Or worse when a God Modder has a character in the game that inevitably acquires a great deal of gold and excessively powerful items.

Githyanki
2010-Dec-10, 02:55 AM
ST & RPing are pretty much the same thing.

It sounds more like you have a social issue; you perhaps, need to find new players or you need to come to terms with your player's expectations and your own and see if you all can come up with a compromise that works for everyone.

If your players want to Roll-play and you want to tell epic stories worthy of being recited in Vahalla, then you and your players need to compromise.

Gamefreak89
2010-Dec-10, 03:07 AM
We don't roll dices or nothing like that but like I said before if anyone checked out that link I posted then they would understand what I'm talking about the type of RPing that I do. But following along with RPing with others right now I'm taking a little break at the moment to enjoy a good slice of life when I get an inspiration to do a new RP then that is when I'll go and type it all out.

geonuc
2010-Dec-10, 09:18 AM
... but like I said before if anyone checked out that link I posted ...

What link? You mentioned a website, but I didn't get the impression you wanted us to check it out before responding.

Gamefreak89
2010-Dec-10, 11:17 PM
Oh my bad I mean check out Roleplayerguild.com and enter the in the search box EdelRitter and A World and Country in need of a King.