PDA

View Full Version : dark matter question

Infinitenight2093
2010-Dec-05, 07:33 PM
So we know that all normal matter was created as the universe cooled from the initial ball of energy after the BB. However, if dark matter is still a form of matter, then could it be said that dark matter cooled from some possibly unknown constituent of the singularity? If so, what could this ingredient be? is it possible that dark matter arose from some anti-gravity material that caused inflation?

forrest noble
2010-Dec-05, 08:06 PM
Infinitenight2093,

if dark matter is still a form of matter

This is certainly one of the possibilities concerning the nature of dark matter which is presently the mainstream model, hence dark "matter."

could it be said that dark matter cooled from some possibly unknown constituent of the singularity?

This could be a possibility. The mainstream has no model concerning the origin of dark matter or any other such particles like gravitons, Higgs particles, quantum foam, etc. since they are only theoretical/ hypothetical.

If so, what could this ingredient be?

such an ingredient would also be hypothetical.

is it possible that dark matter arose from some anti-gravity material that caused inflation?

Since you are starting with only a hypothetical particle then the hypothetical possibilities are numerous since you would be building hypothesis upon hypothesis. Such speculation may be great fun :) but the basis of science is observation. It is true that there still are a lot of unanswered questions concerning the idea/ possibility of dark matter.

korjik
2010-Dec-05, 10:06 PM
So we know that all normal matter was created as the universe cooled from the initial ball of energy after the BB. However, if dark matter is still a form of matter, then could it be said that dark matter cooled from some possibly unknown constituent of the singularity?

No, because calling it a singularity is misleading and generally incorrect. If you had said it was an unknown constituent of the Universe, you would be correct.

If so, what could this ingredient be?

Figuring that one out is nobel prize-type material. No one really has much of a clure right now

is it possible that dark matter arose from some anti-gravity material that caused inflation?

I dont think so, but I dont really know. I think that dark matter would have had to drop out before the inflation period.

On the other hand, we probably dont know enough to really say one way or the other.

Infinitenight2093
2010-Dec-06, 03:54 AM
No, because calling it a singularity is misleading and generally incorrect. If you had said it was an unknown constituent of the Universe, you would be correct.

Figuring that one out is nobel prize-type material. No one really has much of a clure right now

I dont think so, but I dont really know. I think that dark matter would have had to drop out before the inflation period.

On the other hand, we probably dont know enough to really say one way or the other.

what makes you say "before the inflation period"? the universe is much too hot at that point to form any kind of matter. Or am I reading your post wrong?

Okay, for the sake of science not being able to understand the BB singularity I will say, there must have been some material or energy present after the initial creation that would lead to the formation of dark matter.