PDA

View Full Version : A cat named Goliath.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-07, 01:58 PM
Yesterday went into a pet shop. The adoption area is cats only. One greeted me with a lot of meows; an adult male named Goliath, who was "saved from death row" at the pound. He was so cute and friendly, and will be euthanized eventually if someone doesn't adopt him soon. I wanted to show husband (in an adjoining store), but didn't have the heart to walk away from Goliath a 2nd time. Suggested to husband we adopt Goliath (and rename him Charley), let him roam outdoors (our indoor cat of 5 years would likely be very hostile to him). But hubby isn't willing to do that. So I'm thinking of this cat and feeling sad.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-07, 02:19 PM
I offered my husband no Christmas gifts for me in exchange for adopting Goliath (as our outdoor cat; we have a nice neighborhood). He said no. :(

Have done what I could to save this cat's life. :(

Hopefully some nice person or family will adopt Goliath soon. We'll be going back to that plaza later today, but I won't return to the pet store. I'd be too tempted to adopt Goliath while husband's elsewhere, but that would cause a major argument. :(

rommel543
2010-Dec-07, 04:16 PM
Don't worry I feel for you. I'm very much a cat person and can spend hours playing with them. There has been many occasion where I would like nothing more than to bring one home. The problem for me though is my oldest son is allergic to cats and it's not getting better, it seems to get worse as he's getting older.

gzhpcu
2010-Dec-07, 05:26 PM
Sorry to hear that Buttercup. Don't you have any friends who might be interested?

Buttercup
2010-Dec-07, 05:42 PM
Sorry to hear that Buttercup. Don't you have any friends who might be interested?

A lady friend would like to get a cat (her dog recently died), but she has physical challenges and lives with her parents. Her mother does not want a cat.

Otherwise I know of no one. And they'd have to be willing to drive a 110 mile round-trip to adopt Goliath (the pet store is in a different city). We're having to return to that city today (a medical matter), but there's not been enough time to find a friend willing to adopt Goliath (we could pick him up and bring him to our city, for them). :(

I can only wonder how long the pet store has kept him, and how much longer they're willing to house Goliath before he's put to sleep. :( I'm going to make one more appeal to my husband, for us to adopt Goliath; I am willing to forego any Christmas gifts in exchange.

danscope
2010-Dec-07, 08:53 PM
I have an orphaned cat , a grey Siberian named ' Ferocious ' . I gave him a home after someone dumped him . He serves us well , and I have much fewer mice . I do hope you find someone for Goliath. There is good karma in helping cats .
" So as you have done for the least of my bretheren, you have done for me . "

Buttercup
2010-Dec-08, 12:56 AM
Thanks danscope! :)

I did visit Goliath again today. He was quiet and resting. My husband also went into the store with me to see this cat.

Here's hoping Goliath finds a good and loving home in time for Christmas. I'll likely never visit that plaza again, and he'll be gone eventually...one way or the other. :( Hopefully it's the HAPPY "other."

R.A.F.
2010-Dec-08, 01:03 AM
I offered my husband no Christmas gifts for me in exchange for adopting Goliath (as our outdoor cat; we have a nice neighborhood). He said no. :(

Perhaps you should have "offered" no x-mas "presents" for your husband unless you "adopted" Goliath.

I won't return to the pet store. I'd be too tempted to adopt Goliath while husband's elsewhere, but that would cause a major argument. :(

Sounds like you have a wonderful marriage...merry christmas...

Jim
2010-Dec-08, 01:53 AM
I hope Goliath finds a good home. I do volunteer work with a local shelter, trying to get dogs and cats adopted and collect donations to help with extras. The shelter only takes in strays, but it will keep an adoptable one as long as it has room.

We have four cats (now). All are rescues of one sort or another. The latest was left on our doorstep, probably by his mother as he was only ~4 weeks old. He had severe conjunctivitis and his mom must have known we are soft touches.

R.A.F.
2010-Dec-08, 01:59 AM
Sounds like you have a wonderful marriage...

This was really uncalled for...I apologize.