PDA

View Full Version : Honeysuckle is color of the year for 2011.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-09, 05:47 PM
And they can have it :sick: (http://shine.yahoo.com/event/the-thread/honeysuckle-the-color-for-2011-2422496/)

Ugh.

Meanwhile I'll stick to white, yellow, medium blue, black, and ivory colored clothing primarily. Thank you!

rommel543
2010-Dec-09, 06:04 PM
I agree, ugg. Yo know I always wonder who decides this type of thing. More than likely some manufacture got a crap load of the wrong color in and decided they wanted to get rid of it so they pushed it onto the designers. Either that a cosmetic company did a bad batch of make-up and made a deal with fashion designers to make something that matches.

I like earth tones myself.

Fazor
2010-Dec-09, 06:08 PM
And here I thought honeysuckle was a golden hue. I guess my artist-license is revoked.

As far as this stuff is concerned; I have my own sense of fashion (or lack thereof, depending on one's opinion.) The advantage is, I don't care which it really is. I wear what I'm comfortable in.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-09, 06:29 PM
And here I thought honeysuckle was a golden hue.
Same here. I also grew up wondering why my cornflower Crayola was blue.

But then, I also have trouble with things like taupe, mauve and puce.

Although; being that the story is coming from Dior, maybe they mean honeysucker.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-09, 06:41 PM
And here I thought honeysuckle was a golden hue. I guess my artist-license is revoked.

That's what I thought too. :confused:

As far as this stuff is concerned; I have my own sense of fashion (or lack thereof, depending on one's opinion.) The advantage is, I don't care which it really is. I wear what I'm comfortable in.

Yeah. I seldom check out what "the fashionistas" think or are into (mostly because their "taste" stinks imo, and it's all about ka-CHING! anyway). But the title got me curious.

Fazor
2010-Dec-09, 07:12 PM
. . . that got me wondering, so I did a 'Google Image Search' for 'Honeysuckle color'. While the majority of the results are the pink color from the article, there's also some results that are the golden color I had imagined; including some commercial products including paint. And the flowers themselves come in a variety of color.

Swift
2010-Dec-09, 07:34 PM
"Honeysuckle is the color of the year for 2011"

According to who? Is that a mandate from the UN or the god Thor? Does that mean I must only wear honeysuckle colored clothing for the entire year? Should I have my teeth painted honeysuckle. And what exactly are the penalties for violating this mandate? Are appeals allowed?

I know, for 2011, all moderation will be in honeysuckle!!!

:p

Buttercup
2010-Dec-09, 07:36 PM
"Honeysuckle is the color of the year for 2011"

According to who? Is that a mandate from the UN or the god Thor?

From the goddess Venus! :mad: Oh wait...it's a mandate from the UN. :shifty:

I know, for 2011, all moderation will be in honeysuckle!!!

:p

:eek: No no Swift! Please be merciful! :hand: You can't be that cruel. :cry:

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-09, 07:47 PM
... And what exactly are the penalties for violating this mandate?
An induced rash to make your skin honeysuckle.

At least that's better than being beaten to make it ebony and cornflower.

ABR.
2010-Dec-09, 08:18 PM
Sigh. Another year and bug-gut green gets looked over yet again. Well, there's always next year!

Buttercup
2010-Dec-09, 08:42 PM
Sigh. Another year and bug-gut green gets looked over yet again. Well, there's always next year!

Yeah.

I here was hoping Road Construction Orange would be the fashion color of 2011. :(

Bummer.

Fazor
2010-Dec-09, 08:45 PM
You know, another thing I was apparently wrong about; I didn't think you could announce something like this as "The new color of the year." I thought it was a law to word it, "[X] is the new black!"

Swift
2010-Dec-09, 08:50 PM
Yeah.

I here was hoping Road Construction Orange would be the fashion color of 2011. :(

Bummer.
In Northeast Ohio, Road Construction Orange is the color every year, at least from about March 1st to November 1st.

LaurelHS
2010-Dec-09, 09:17 PM
Actually, I can see why the colour is called honeysuckle (http://www.druidry.org/obod/trees/images/honeysuckle_files/image003.jpg).

MAPNUT
2010-Dec-09, 09:21 PM
Dumb question of the day but somebody had to ask: Isn't that sort of like pink? Why aren't they just calling it pink?

Extravoice
2010-Dec-09, 09:31 PM
Actually, I can see why the colour is called honeysuckle (http://www.druidry.org/obod/trees/images/honeysuckle_files/image003.jpg).

We have lots of Honeysuckle around these parts, but it only comes in yellow (http://biology.missouristate.edu/Herbarium/Plants%20of%20the%20Interior%20Highlands/Flowers/Lonicera%20flava.JPG) and white (http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/white-honeysuckle-blossoms-peggy-king.jpg).

rommel543
2010-Dec-09, 09:49 PM
Dumb question of the day but somebody had to ask: Isn't that sort of like pink? Why aren't they just calling it pink?

Because pink is too common of a term... just like that is honeysuckle, this (http://www.sequimwadailyphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/fuschia1.JPG) is fuchsia. Technically both are 'pink'.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-09, 10:04 PM
In Northeast Ohio, Road Construction Orange is the color every year, at least from about March 1st to November 1st.

I'm moving to NE Ohio! :D

And 2012's official color will be Bug Gut Green, as per ABR's request (apparently he's waited a while!).

Buttercup
2010-Dec-09, 10:06 PM

Because pink is "old school" and already sells as well as it likely ever will? :)

Give it a neon tint, a bit of darkening, call it "Honeysuckle" and watch the "Honeysuckle" sweaters, blouses, shoes, belts, mittens fly off the shelves. ;-p Be the first person on your block/in your office to own/wear/carry...!

I won't be buying any of it. {{shudders}}

Donnie B.
2010-Dec-12, 02:32 PM
The color of the year is near infrared, with just a touch of VHF radio.

Swift
2010-Dec-12, 04:07 PM
:lol:

Thank goodness. Soft x-rays were just so last year.

rommel543
2010-Dec-13, 02:39 PM

Does that mean I have to get rid of my UV pants and gamma suit?

megrfl
2010-Dec-13, 02:55 PM
And they can have it :sick: (http://shine.yahoo.com/event/the-thread/honeysuckle-the-color-for-2011-2422496/)

Ugh.

I agree. I am surprised to see that honeysuckle is considered a semi-mauve dark pink. I was expecting a pale yellow. :confused:

Donnie B.
2010-Dec-13, 07:24 PM

Just throw 'em in a closet. They'll be back in style eventually.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-13, 11:22 PM

Don't know.

But I'd definitely keep my nuclear boots and drip-dry gloves, if I were you. :)

rommel543
2010-Dec-14, 03:06 PM
Don't know.

But I'd definitely keep my nuclear boots and drip-dry gloves, if I were you. :)

Hey, colours may come and colours may go but some things never go out of style....

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-15, 08:35 PM
Bwah. The briefest look at my shopping list would tell you that the colours of 2011 are blue and black.

Conveniently, those were also the colours of 2010, of 2009, of 2008, etc, back to the mid-'90s or so.

(I do make an exception for summer, when light-coloured shirts may be worn for thermoregulatory purposes.)

Tinaa
2010-Dec-16, 02:02 AM
I think the color is fabulous. It is a happy color that would look good on most any complexion. I wear lots of vibrant colors. And I already have some of that color in my current wardrobe. I also have cool turquoise, deep purple and brilliant red. My stiletto heel hot red pumps are simply to die for. I'd love to find a pair of three inch pumps in honeysuckle.

I don't think the name is very descriptive though. I think perhaps trumpet vine or Bougainvillea would have been a better name.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-16, 01:48 PM
Bwah.
It seems like the color of the year is always a color that men just wouldn't want to wear. I think it's a conspiracy.

MAPNUT
2010-Dec-16, 02:08 PM
I think the color is fabulous. I don't think the name is very descriptive though. I think perhaps trumpet vine or Bougainvillea would have been a better name.

Pink! It's pink! Aaaaaugh!

Nicolas
2010-Dec-16, 09:13 PM
Hey, on this board we should think of honeysuckle as the ultimate colour! It's the colour of Apollo! The Apollo moon project... Come on people...Honeysuckle Creek...*sigh* the famous tracking station in Australia...

Come on, I'm feeling nerdy here. On THIS board...:)

Tinaa
2010-Dec-17, 12:42 AM
It seems like the color of the year is always a color that men just wouldn't want to wear. I think it's a conspiracy.

I've seen men wear bright colors and look great! A bright shirt under a dark jacket is really eye-catching.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-17, 12:52 PM
And without the black jacket?

I'm not saying that we don't look good, or that the colors aren't good even in small doses, just that the colors aren't generally accepted by men.

Jeff Root
2010-Dec-17, 01:47 PM
Dumb question of the day but somebody had to ask: Isn't that
sort of like pink? Why aren't they just calling it pink?
It appears that the thing is sponsored by Pantone. Pantone's
business is precise color matching. Whether printing inks,
paints, or dyes, their job is to prevent you from having to say,
"No, you moron! That isn't the color I asked for! I asked for
heliotrope, not fuchsia!" Out of all the many thousands of
possible colors, a few hundred have names so that they can
be easily referenced and remembered.

...Honeysuckle Creek...*sigh* the famous tracking station in Australia...

Come on, I'm feeling nerdy here. On THIS board...:)
It's the reason I clicked on the thread.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Tinaa
2010-Dec-18, 04:04 PM
And without the black jacket?

I'm not saying that we don't look good, or that the colors aren't good even in small doses, just that the colors aren't generally accepted by men.

True. Have men been conditioned to not like bright colors? Or, perhaps, does society look down on it? I think men ought to wear the vibrant colors with or without a jacket.

A few years ago I made myself quit buying so many black clothes. I think I feel better in the brighter colors. Saturated colors in blues/reds/greens are my favorites. No so much the yellow/oranges.

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-18, 04:26 PM
Have men been conditioned to not like bright colors? Or, perhaps, does society look down on it?
What difference do you perceive between those two?

My own enthusiasm for black clothes was somewhat dented a couple years ago when I was told dressing in all black made me look artistic, but generally I feel most at home in dark colours. Whether that's due to nature or nurture strikes me as of purely academic interest.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-18, 04:36 PM
While holiday clothes shopping for my husband, I was again struck by all the dark, neutral and muted Earth tones as the predominant options. :(

Then I walk into a women's boutique (blouses, nail polish, hair items) and I'm nearly blown away by all the vibrant colors -- particularly by comparison! Know which shop I'd rather be in. ;)

Tinaa
2010-Dec-18, 09:23 PM

My own enthusiasm for black clothes was somewhat dented a couple years ago when I was told dressing in all black made me look artistic, but generally I feel most at home in dark colours. Whether that's due to nature or nurture strikes me as of purely academic interest.

Conditioned more as in that was what your parents bought you for clothes until you could buy your own. You continue to buy those colors because it is safe.

Society as in when you are an adult and afraid that others will judge you so you resist buying clothes that may appeal to your sense of style.

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-18, 09:39 PM
Conditioned more as in that was what your parents bought you for clothes until you could buy your own. You continue to buy those colors because it is safe.
That, at least, does not apply to me - my parents bought clothes for me in more varied and brighter colours than I now buy for myself. (Apparently I was quite fond of red clothes when I was small.)

Thanks for the clarification. :)

LaurelHS
2010-Dec-18, 11:14 PM
I'm still fond of red clothes. I'm wearing a red chenille sweater today. Festive!

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-20, 03:42 PM
Let's add a third one (if I can explain what I'm thinking properly).

Let's think historically.
Men were more in the public view when they were at work, while women (mostly housewives) were not. Also; the men weren't as generally close to a change of clothes as the women.

The darker, more drab clothing helped hide the dinge that resulted from the work, and was accepted as public. Women had the chance to present themselves as "fresh".

swampyankee
2010-Dec-21, 05:25 PM
Do remember that the fashion names of colors (and of paint) are conceived by marketing people who want people to think they did too much drugs.

My daughter picked a color for her room (it's sort of a beigy-pink). The name? "Melted Ice Cream." She thinks it's hilarious.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-21, 06:21 PM
Just be careful on how you apply it and keep the area clean. If you don't, it might be renamed to "Melted Rocky Road".