PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter to lose its spots?

ToSeek
2004-Apr-22, 04:42 PM
Not that big red one, though:

Researcher predicts global climate change on Jupiter as giant planet's spots disappear (http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/04/21_jupiter.shtml)

If a University of California, Berkeley, physicist's vision of Jupiter is correct, the giant planet will be in for a major global temperature shift over the next decade as most of its large vortices disappear.

But fans of the Great Red Spot can rest easy. The most famous of Jupiter's vortices - which are often compared to Earth's hurricanes - will stay put, largely because of its location near the planet's equator, says Philip Marcus, a professor at UC Berkeley's Department of Mechanical Engineering.

Glom
2004-Apr-22, 04:50 PM
I'm sure the wackos will blame this on Galileo.

Wally
2004-Apr-22, 05:19 PM
I'm sure at least a few whacko's out there will attempt to blame this on mans destruction of the rain forests in Brazil. . . And they'll mean it!

mike alexander
2004-Apr-22, 05:25 PM
You realize what this means, don't you? The Jovians are burning too much hydrogen in their cars, contributing to global warming.

They obviously must wean themselves away from hydrogen as a fuel source. A gradual changeover to petroleum should fix things.

:-?

Wiley
2004-Apr-22, 09:40 PM
And they say a planet can't change it's spots. 8)

Anyway, here's a link to the USA Today article (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-04-22-jupiter-spots-going_x.htm)

Wolverine
2004-Apr-22, 09:43 PM
I'm sure the wackos will blame this on Galileo.

Stole the very thought right outta my head.

George
2004-Apr-22, 10:48 PM
"I predict that due to the loss of these atmospheric whirlpools, the average temperature on Jupiter will change by as much as 10 degrees Celsius, getting warmer near the equator and cooler at the poles," says Marcus.

Hmmm...This sounds a little like a weather report. I predict, due to my emprical data on meterologist's prognostication, that we will see more spots. :) Ok, it will be cool if he gets it right. If he does, can we have him help us here in Texas? :)

Jpax2003
2004-Apr-23, 05:35 AM
Hey, even earth gets her spots. Usually big white ones during late summer in the subtropical areas of the secondary ocean of the northern hemisphere that move into the northern midlatitudes and sometimes last weeks.