PDA

View Full Version : Cat Tales

megrfl
2010-Dec-13, 01:54 AM
I awoke this morning to find the contents of my purse strewn across the kitchen table. My immediate thought was that we were robbed, but after close inspection of my wallet I found nothing -- missing.

How and why then was my purse on its side with most everything spilled out and/or scattered about the table?

While I was returning things to their normal meticulously organized pockets within my purse, I noticed that my pack of gum (spearmint) was soaking wet with little chew/bite marks on every corner. I'm certain now that there was a small mammal with sharp teeth in our house last night trying to steal my gum. The only thing that I don't understand is why the cats didn't attack it and leave its lifeless body somewhere that I was sure to see!? :o)

It's a frightening mystery. :D

mike alexander
2010-Dec-13, 03:59 AM
Just about two weeks ago I was down in the garage to feed the cat when one of the big feral ones that hang around the neighborhood darted out from under the riding mower and close past my legs. I was so startled I lost my balance and went down, absolutely demolishing some component in my leg near the groin. I am just getting back to being able to walk without massive doses of aspirin and I figure the healing still has a few weeks to go.

To paraphrase The Brain, if I could catch it, I would hurt it.

Swift
2010-Dec-13, 02:00 PM
Ow. Get better soon Mike.

megrfl
2010-Dec-13, 02:07 PM
I was so startled I lost my balance and went down, absolutely demolishing some component in my leg near the groin. I am just getting back to being able to walk without massive doses of aspirin and I figure the healing still has a few weeks to go.

Sorry to read of your painful groin injury. It may behoove you to begin a stretching routine before you enter the garage -- just a suggestion. :D

To paraphrase The Brain, if I could catch it, I would hurt it.

You could probably use spearmint as bait.

Swift
2010-Dec-13, 02:14 PM
Since we are telling cat tails...

Our two kittens are now about 9 months old. They are both absolutely fascinated by water.

Now, I've had several cats that like to watch it, but the goddess forbid that it actually get on you. These two like to play in it. Many mornings we get up to find all the water in their bowl splashed out onto the floor. If you leave the toilet seat up, one of them (usually Maki) is in the toilet (and I mean standing in the water in the bowl). When I water the plants they come running to watch the water and then poke around in the wet soil or in the water in the saucer under the pot. The humiidiers or the water in the sink are equally fascinating.

A couple of times we've put a bowl of water on the floor to see what they do. They both stick their paws in, and splash the water around. Weird.

megrfl
2010-Dec-13, 02:37 PM
Our boy Moe loves water. He drowns his toy mice in his water bowl and then dredges them out, leaving a sopping wet mouse and slopped water everywhere. Our girl Marlie is barely able to drink, she seems to be blind to water.

Here is the most recent photo of our lovelies resting.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9711/1004521d.th.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/1004521d.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

rommel543
2010-Dec-13, 02:59 PM
Since we are telling cat tails...

Our two kittens are now about 9 months old. They are both absolutely fascinated by water.

Now, I've had several cats that like to watch it, but the goddess forbid that it actually get on you. These two like to play in it. Many mornings we get up to find all the water in their bowl splashed out onto the floor. If you leave the toilet seat up, one of them (usually Maki) is in the toilet (and I mean standing in the water in the bowl). When I water the plants they come running to watch the water and then poke around in the wet soil or in the water in the saucer under the pot. The humiidiers or the water in the sink are equally fascinating.

A couple of times we've put a bowl of water on the floor to see what they do. They both stick their paws in, and splash the water around. Weird.

You should put about 1/2 inch in the bathtub for them and let them have a bath.

Many years ago my ex-wife and I had a couple of cats. The smallest one, Maxi, would sit on the edge of the bath tub while we showered and like to watch the water drops running down the inside of the shower curtain. She would smack at the them every once in awhile but that about it. Once day, while my ex-wife was in the shower, Maxi had enough and decided that she was going to catch one and leaped at the water drop. This of course landed her directly into the shower and because the shower curtain had fallen back down into place she was stuck in the tub getting soaked. After some frantic scrambling, and my ex getting minor scratches up her legs, Maxi was able to force her way out of the shower completely soaked.

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-13, 10:39 PM
i've come to believe that the aversion of cats to water is pretty much a myth. We had one who liked nothing better than to play in the stream of water from the garden hose. He'd get soaked. The other one we had at that time would sit on the edge of the bathtub while my wife was taking a bath. She'd let her tail dangle in the water; didn't bother her a bit.

Kadava
2010-Dec-14, 01:19 PM
It depends on the cat and the circumstances. My two go into all out evac mode if hit by a single drop of liquid. (No long walks in the rain for them.) But then they have absolutely no hesitation in walking through knee high wet grass and coming inside absolutely sopping wet.

jokergirl
2010-Dec-15, 09:55 AM
While we're posting cute kitteh pics, here is a video of our new kitten playing on and around our bed:

http://joker.mirar.org/P?kitteh/MOV08303.MPG

(i'd embed it but html is off)

;)

Moose
2010-Dec-15, 11:23 AM
JG, that kitten is epically cute. The bravery, clumsiness, and cleverness reminds me a lot of Zoe at that age.

Slightly separate topic, just want to note that my pair were fascinated by water until about 6 months or so. Then they developed the normal feline phobias (plus a few not so normal ones.)

/ Just sayin', there's nothing quite so comforting to me than feeling the bulk of a cat pressing into my back while I'm sleeping. If only for a little while, all is right in my world.

Swift
2010-Dec-15, 02:12 PM
While we're posting cute kitteh pics, here is a video of our new kitten playing on and around our bed:

http://joker.mirar.org/P?kitteh/MOV08303.MPG

(i'd embed it but html is off)

;)
Very cute, and nice job on ladder climbing.

megrfl
2010-Dec-15, 02:33 PM
/ Just sayin', there's nothing quite so comforting to me than feeling the bulk of a cat pressing into my back while I'm sleeping. If only for a little while, all is right in my world.

We had been living pet free for at least 3 years and my son kept asking for a cat. My husband not being a cat person frowned on the idea, but as long as my son was responsible regarding litter box and etc., he didn't have a problem with it.

Long story short, Marla (Marlie) sleeps on or beside him (husband) every night and Moe our second is at his head, sometimes he is wedged between all three of us and he too thinks "everything is right in his world."

In addition he has built them a six foot high platformed rug covered contraption that graces our living room. The guy is 100% cat lover now.

Jokergirl, beautiful cat and what a great bed area for all.

rommel543
2010-Dec-15, 02:46 PM
It's been 13 years not since I had cats. Watching the video just makes me want to have a cat again. My son is allergic so we can't. :(

Swift
2010-Dec-15, 03:01 PM
My son is allergic so we can't. :(
Rommel,

You might want to check out Siberian cats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_(cat)). I have no personal experience, but I saw something on TV about them and they apparently have much less of the protein in their saliva that people are usually allergic to. The people on this show "test drove" one before adopting it, and the allergic husband has been fine with it.

rommel543
2010-Dec-15, 03:33 PM
I've contacted a local breeder to see how much they cost and to see if we can check if my son has a reaction to them.

rommel543
2010-Dec-20, 05:11 PM
Rommel,

You might want to check out Siberian cats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_(cat)). I have no personal experience, but I saw something on TV about them and they apparently have much less of the protein in their saliva that people are usually allergic to. The people on this show "test drove" one before adopting it, and the allergic husband has been fine with it.

I've contacted a local breeder to see how much they cost and to see if we can check if my son has a reaction to them.

SO I finally got a response from some of the local breaders of Siberian Cats. The average price is $900 for a kitten. I think I'll get them a hermit crab instead. They only cost about $15 at the local pet shop.

jokergirl
2011-Jan-03, 09:47 AM
i've come to believe that the aversion of cats to water is pretty much a myth. We had one who liked nothing better than to play in the stream of water from the garden hose. He'd get soaked. The other one we had at that time would sit on the edge of the bathtub while my wife was taking a bath. She'd let her tail dangle in the water; didn't bother her a bit.

Mine likes to try to drink from the spout in the sink, but he hasn't quite figured out the technique yet. He tries to get close with his mouth, standing behind the tap and craning his neck, licking the stream until his whiskers push it out of the way. That's when he starts to try to pull it closer with his paws, or, failing, sticks his whole head under the spout as he tries to get at it from another angle. The water goes right on top of his head and he doesn't get any in his mouth but he doesn't seem to mind, anyway.

He also likes to drink the water from the bathtub after someone takes a shower. I guess human-flavoured water is better than normal water, or something.

;)

ABR.
2011-Jan-03, 04:29 PM
He also likes to drink the water from the bathtub after someone takes a shower. I guess human-flavoured water is better than normal water, or something.

;)

Perhaps he is a homeopathic predator.

Swift
2011-Jan-03, 05:50 PM
perhaps he is a homeopathic predator.
:lol: Rofl

Kaptain K
2011-Jan-03, 06:46 PM
What Swift said!! :clap:

Moose
2011-Jan-03, 07:34 PM
Hehehe.

One Day More
2011-Jan-03, 10:15 PM
I know someone whose cat will never drink out of his water bowl. Instead, Otis (the aforementioned cat) will only drink from the kitchen sink tap, and only then if there are no humans in sight. First he will bat at the water with a paw, inspect it, and then finally lap up the running water.

It also seems that there's more than a few cats as well who like shower water, as the landlady's cat at my flat loves lapping up the shower water after someone's had a shower as well!

Jim
2011-Jan-04, 12:43 AM
You have to careful about that. Once a cat acquires a taste for human flesh, you're in for many sleepless nights.

Kaptain K
2011-Jan-04, 01:01 AM
Never own a Carnivorous pet big enough to eat you! :naughty: :eek: *

*Watch Animal Planet some time!

Trebuchet
2011-Jan-04, 02:11 AM
One of our late, lamented cats would never drink until she pawed around the bowl for a bit, sometimes spilling it. One of the current cats is doing the same thing. What's up with that?

Moose
2011-Jan-04, 12:26 PM
Cats are naturally wary of still water. It's evolutionary. Still water means stagnant water. They'll drink from 'puddles', but only reluctantly. Cats who have access to pet fountains (and aren't scared off by the pump noises) seem to prefer them greatly. Mine prefer the sink if they can wheedle me (and they can) into turning it on for them, but they definitely prefer their pet fountain to a water bowl.

ngc3314
2011-Jan-05, 08:21 PM
Our local feline masters like water, from a glass, preferably with ice. We hear complaints if we thoughtlessly allow the water level in our glasses to drop below their nose reach (including folding back the ears to let the nose get farther down). One of our cats must be particularly southern, being fond of my artificially-sweetened iced tea. He went through a long phase of sitting on the edge of the bathtub, being continually amazed that the water it contains is wet and having to swipe the paw one more time. Sort of like not really trusting gravity and having to bat one more fragile object off the dresser just to make sure it still works.

Trebuchet
2011-Jan-06, 03:54 AM
One of ours would sit on the edge of the tub and let her tail dangle in. Never even noticed it.