PDA

View Full Version : Voyager 1 reaches the edges of the galaxy

infocat13
2010-Dec-14, 03:45 PM
By Melissa Bell, Washington post

some grammar errors and.................
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2010/12/voyager_1_reaches_the_edges_of.html

Hornblower
2010-Dec-14, 05:05 PM
The author said that the spacecraft is approaching the edge of the solar system, not the edge of the galaxy. There is a big difference.

Jeff Root
2010-Dec-14, 06:38 PM
The first comment after the story is a one-word sentence: "Galaxy?"

The third comment is a reply from the reporter, Melissa Bell, thanking
the first two commentators for the correction. The article indicates
that it was updated after the original posting time.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis, not especially near Washington, DC

KaiYeves
2010-Dec-15, 01:33 AM
Common mistake, but still good to see it fixed so swiftly.

DippyHippy
2010-Dec-18, 04:26 PM
LOL I still like the "Mars will be as big as the Moon in the sky" stories

luckyfrank
2010-Dec-25, 11:59 PM
What are the chances of someone or something finding this in the very distant future 100s of billions to 1 ?

Do we know if it heading to nearby star systems and does nasa have any control over it whatsoever

John Jaksich
2010-Dec-26, 12:03 AM
Seems to be much too much like a Star Trek story---but I suppose there is a small probability---

Elukka
2010-Dec-26, 03:44 PM
They don't have control over it; it'll go where it goes. I suspect it'd be very difficult to find, but an interstellar civilization could probably figure something out if they really put their minds to it. More likely to me seems that nobody will remember it exists and nobody will care because chances are there are god-knows-how-many similar probes plodding about all over the galaxy.

infocat13
2011-Jan-01, 04:43 AM
but you see, this is why we are here,to correct a well intentioned reporter who got here end of the solar system mixed up with the end of the galaxy.
its bad astronomy made good