View Full Version : Best condiment for French Fries

Lord Jubjub
2010-Dec-15, 01:49 AM
I'd say Mayonnaise.

What say the crowd?

PetersCreek
2010-Dec-15, 01:52 AM
Brown gravy.

I like ketchup and mayo on fries well enough...but c'mon...brown gravy.

Ronald Brak
2010-Dec-15, 02:11 AM
Gold.

What? I've had gold on food before. However, I should qualify my statement by saying that gold is only the best condiment if you aren't paying for it and there is enough to make it worth your while to surrepticiously scrape it off and sell it.

KaiYeves
2010-Dec-15, 02:21 AM
Usually, I have them plain, but ketchup is good, too.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Dec-15, 02:42 AM
Gravy and cheese.

LaurelHS
2010-Dec-15, 02:44 AM
I don't really like anything on my fries except salt. I like the seasoning salt A&W puts on their fries, but I don't eat there very often. Maybe I'll get some A&W fries while I'm Christmas shopping at the mall in the next few days.

kleindoofy
2010-Dec-15, 02:49 AM
The first time I saw the Brits putting malt vinegar on fries, I thought they were as daft as their questionable reputation for fine food suggests.

Never having been one to say "that's gross" and refuse something without trying it first, I happily indulged, and to my surprise it tasted great.

Could millions of Brits be wrong? Well, as history has shown many times over, yes. But not in this case.

Swift
2010-Dec-15, 02:59 AM
Ketchup is generally my first choice, but mustard is good too (but it needs to be a serious mustard). Chili on fries is good too.

Solfe
2010-Dec-15, 03:19 AM
Blue Cheese and Frank's Hot Sauce mixed together. It also works for carrots and celery.

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-15, 04:43 AM
Tartar sauce for my wife. Apparently that's some sort of northwest thing. I'm sort of a plain vanilla person, so it's just good 'ol ketchup.

Trakar
2010-Dec-15, 04:49 AM
I'd say Mayonnaise.

What say the crowd?

Sour cream, occassionally ranch dressing

Spoons
2010-Dec-15, 05:00 AM
kleindoofy scooped it. Vinegar is the best stuff on chips. It depends on the mood and what you're drinking at the time, variety is the variety of life, but if I've got to choose one it'd be vinegar.

Gravy is really nice too, but it's got to be good thick gravy.

ABR.
2010-Dec-15, 05:04 AM
For me, ranch dressing if available, ketchup if not. However, a couple memorable field trips to Idaho left me with a taste for fry sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry_sauce).

Jens
2010-Dec-15, 05:13 AM
I don't really like anything on my fries except salt.

Same here. Ketchup is acceptable, but I kind of like them without it.

Solfe
2010-Dec-15, 05:29 AM
I just had a funny thought. I love vinegar on curly fries. They have to be curly fries though.

Spoons
2010-Dec-15, 05:36 AM
Yeah, different chips/fries are better suited to different toppings.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2010-Dec-15, 06:19 AM
Yeah, my preferences are also tied to the type of fries.

Malt vinegar works best on very thick fries/chips (sometimes called "homestyle" fries in the USA). These are always soggy on the inside anyway, so soaking them in vinegar won't hurt the texture.

Both mayonnaise and brown gravy (always with cheese!) require homemade fries, and must be eaten while the fries are hot. I prefer mayo for very thin fries, and use an intermediate cut with gravy.

Ketchup is the condiment of choice for terrible fast-food fries.

NickW
2010-Dec-15, 06:20 AM
Ranch is number one for me. After that chili and cheese, then ketchup.

ETA, add honey mustard to the mix anywhere, depending on the mood.

Spoons
2010-Dec-15, 06:22 AM
Ketchup is the condiment of choice for terrible fast-food fries.

Exactly! Ketchup is what you put on something that either tastes average or doesn't carry any of it's own flavour. It's a shame to waste a tasty chip with ketchup.

ggremlin
2010-Dec-15, 06:42 AM
French fries can be used anywhere bread can be used, clean that plate.

By themselves, I like A1 steak sauce, ketchup or cheese in that order.

NickW
2010-Dec-15, 07:23 AM
Ketchup is what you put on something that either tastes average or doesn't carry any of it's own flavour.
Burgers don't taste average but ketchup still makes them taste good. I think you are a sick, sick man for shunning ketchup they way you are. Blashpemy I tell ya!

slang
2010-Dec-15, 07:23 AM
Mayo. Most sold here is something called "fries-sauce" (literal translation), which is like mayonaise, but has less fat. Second choice would be "speciaal" (special), as it's known in the fast food cafeteria: mayo, curry ketchup, and chopped onions. Curry ketchup is ketchup with added spices. Third choice: sateh sauce, an Indonesian peanut based sauce. Sometimes it's combined with mayo, and then it's called (loose translation) "fries war-style".

Spoons
2010-Dec-15, 07:41 AM
Burgers don't taste average but ketchup still makes them taste good. I think you are a sick, sick man for shunning ketchup they way you are. Blashpemy I tell ya!

I just realised 10 minutes ago how wrong I was, while chomping down a beef curry pie with sauce on top. I still think it applies to fries, chips and dips.

Ara Pacis
2010-Dec-15, 08:30 AM
Catsup, but I just as often leave them naked. I'll try anything. I don't care for mayo on fries because it's too bland. Horseradish sauce is good on curly fries.

jokergirl
2010-Dec-15, 09:59 AM
I prefer Ajvar to ketchup.

;)

Moose
2010-Dec-15, 10:10 AM
BBQ (not steak) stauce
Sweet&Sour sauce
Gravy
Plain
Vinegar
Ketchup

In roughly that order.

swampyankee
2010-Dec-15, 10:24 AM
Fries? Salt. Way too much salt, but salt.

Kadava
2010-Dec-15, 11:45 AM
For me, sometimes soy sauce - best on bigger more absorbent chips.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-15, 12:05 PM
Cold Hunt's ketchup. :)

darkhunter
2010-Dec-15, 12:44 PM
HP Brown Sauce

megrfl
2010-Dec-15, 02:06 PM
Salt and when available warm gravy.

Swift
2010-Dec-15, 02:07 PM
"My, but this are very tasty fries"

Oh, you said condiment, not compliment. :doh:

;)

Tartar sauce for my wife. Apparently that's some sort of northwest thing. I'm sort of a plain vanilla person, so it's just good 'ol ketchup.
I've done that too, but only when I'm eating them with fish.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-15, 02:55 PM
I like a homemade chicken gravy (made from pan drippings, flour and milk) on fries.

Also, a restaurant in town serves a mildly spicy green chile con queso with their chicken tenders; I can't eat the chicken, but do love their fries with that homemade chile con queso. Mmmm!

But otherwise it's Hunt's ketchup (as mentioned before).

Fazor
2010-Dec-15, 03:28 PM
Ketchup is my go-to, but to be honest, most of the time when I'm in the mood for fries, it's really because I'm craving that ketchup taste.

But, in no particular order, I also like BBQ sauce, ranch, cheese dip, vinegar, and mayo (usually mixed or flavored with something else as well). Many other good sauces would do too; like with the ketchup, fries are usually just the delivery method for the sauce.

Ivan Viehoff
2010-Dec-15, 04:23 PM
The first time I saw the Brits putting malt vinegar on fries, I thought they were as daft as their questionable reputation for fine food suggests.
Could millions of Brits be wrong?
Yes. And I can say that because I'm British. The smell of fish and chip shops is offensive at great distance.

Though I sometimes wonder if the problem is the malt and spirit vinegars commonly used for the purpose, which are one of the two reasons the smell is offensive at such great distance, the other being the hot fat. Perhaps I'll try dipping a chip in wine or cider vinegar one day. But I still suspect it will make them unpleasantly soggy.

Chuck
2010-Dec-15, 04:24 PM
Ketchup is best, but many other things are non-horrible.

tlbs101
2010-Dec-15, 04:32 PM
For me, ranch dressing if available, ketchup if not. However, a couple memorable field trips to Idaho left me with a taste for fry sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry_sauce).

I grew up in Spokane where there were several Arctic Circle restaurants, so I grew up with fry sauce. It is still at the top of my list of french fry condiments.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-15, 04:56 PM
A former acquaintance liked Arby's Horsey (horseradish) Sauce on their seasoned curly fries. Actually tastes rather good! And that's as weird as I get with any sort of fries and their potential condiments. :p

Mister Earl
2010-Dec-15, 05:04 PM
Yikes! I've never heard of putting mayonnaise or gravy on fries. O_o

Around here, you either put vinegar on them, or ketchup. At restaurants they'll put cheese or cheese and bacon bits on them, maybe chili in some of the odder places, but that's pretty much it.

But me? Hickory smoke flavored barbeque sauce. That's what does it for me. And the folks around here think I'm odd for it.

PetersCreek
2010-Dec-15, 05:58 PM
Yikes! I've never heard of putting mayonnaise or gravy on fries.

I had never heard of eating mayonnaise on fries until I was stationed in Germany. One reason I don't think it will become popular here is, most widely available brands of US mayo just aren't the same as European varieties. A couple are are close but not close enough IMO. When I really get a hankering for mayo on fries, I'll sometimes make a batch of my own. I made the last one with champagne vinegar and it was quite tasty.

mike alexander
2010-Dec-15, 06:07 PM
Salt and sometimes a bit of pepper.

If I'm feeling frisky a shake or two of Old Bay.

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-15, 06:53 PM
I grew up in Spokane where there were several Arctic Circle restaurants, so I grew up with fry sauce. It is still at the top of my list of french fry condiments.

There was an AC in Bozeman, MT, when I went to college there, 40 years ago. It was within walking distance of the campus and cheap so we went there quite a bit. I never did care for the sauce, and was dismayed when I asked for ketchup on a burger and they charged me an extra five cents! That AC was also where I had my very first taco.

closetgeek
2010-Dec-15, 06:59 PM
Mayo, ketchup, ranch, or sour cream and chives. If I am eating Wendy's fries, though, nothing tastes better than dipping them in the chocolate frosty.

danscope
2010-Dec-15, 07:26 PM
Kliendoofy definitely has it right. And the malt vinegar is the one to use. It aids the digestion of the fries as well.
These fries should be 1/2 " sections as long as your finger. They can keep those matchstick grease soakers. No thanks.
But some good french fries ....in season , are delicious. In moderation .

Dan

captain swoop
2010-Dec-15, 09:21 PM
Vinager on chips? dirty people.

Vinager on Fish and Chips.
Tomato sauce or HP Sauce on just chips.

We only get 'fries' from Mcdonalds over here, mean thin looking things.

What we have are Chips, fine big fat golden Chips.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-15, 09:30 PM
Vinager on Fish and Chips.

I like malt vinegar on fish from Long John Silver's. Nice tang to it. :)

We only get 'fries' from Mcdonalds over here, mean thin looking things.

What we have are Chips, fine big fat golden Chips.

If you think McD's fries are mean and thin, you should see those which Steak 'n Shake serve up in the Peoria, Illinois area: They are match-stick thin. :( No thanks. :hand: But that's been their standard for decades now and I guess their regular customers like them. :confused:

swampyankee
2010-Dec-15, 09:52 PM

A long time ago, one of my classmates was a Greek immigrant. He was the first person I ever saw putting mayonnaise on his French fries. I almost gagged.

slang
2010-Dec-15, 11:35 PM
A long time ago, one of my classmates was a Greek immigrant. He was the first person I ever saw putting mayonnaise on his French fries. I almost gagged.

Your mayo must be terrible! ;) When this topic first came up in a conversation I had with American friends, they had the same reaction. I was stumped, I really couldn't understand what was so disgusting about putting mayo on fries.. since it's pretty much the standard here. I still don't understand why even thinking about it gives such a response, but then again some foreign eating traditions make me feel rather quaint too.

kleindoofy
2010-Dec-15, 11:49 PM
... some foreign eating traditions make me feel rather quaint too.
There are countries where people take the sap out of trees and make rubber tires out of it.

But, just imagine, there are countries where people take the sap out of trees and eat it!!!

Ughh, that's totally disgusting, barf gross!

But I have to admit, calling it maple syrup does make it appealing. ;)

kleindoofy
2010-Dec-15, 11:51 PM
A long time ago, one of my classmates was a Greek immigrant. ...
And what is he now?

http://www.forumla.de/images/smilies/musik/rimshot.gif

PetersCreek
2010-Dec-16, 12:06 AM
Your mayo must be terrible! ;)

It's worse than that. Sometimes, our mayo isn't even mayo. Instead, it might be a vaguely mayonnaise-like anolog referred to as a spread or dressing. Miracle Whip is one. Feh!

I think the problem we have over here is that mayo is marketed almost strictly as a sandwich spread that is also used as an ingredient in other dishes. So, it's difficult (or even discomforting) to associate it with another way of eating it. For instance, I can eat a spoonful of hollandaise, no problem. Love the stuff. But a spoonful of mayo or ketchup? Not so appealing to me.

If you want to hear weird, my granddaughter use to eat French onion chip dip by the spoonful, right out of the container. No chips required.

CJSF
2010-Dec-16, 12:09 AM
I never thought of tartar sauce as a northwest thing. I'm from New England, originally, and I would use it whenever we were out at a seafood restaurant that had it. That being said, my favorite is honey mustard with fries. Ranch, BBQ sauce would be close seconds. Ketchup is ok too.

CJSF

swampyankee
2010-Dec-16, 01:29 AM
Your mayo must be terrible! ;) When this topic first came up in a conversation I had with American friends, they had the same reaction. I was stumped, I really couldn't understand what was so disgusting about putting mayo on fries.. since it's pretty much the standard here. I still don't understand why even thinking about it gives such a response, but then again some foreign eating traditions make me feel rather quaint too.

I will say that I can't stand mayonnaise. I suspect it may be an Italian-American thing: neither my Italian-American mother nor my Italian-American wife like mayonnaise. I don't remember anything about my Italian immigrant grandparents and mayonnaise, but my Italian immigrant parents-in-law never had mayonnaise in their house.

danscope
2010-Dec-16, 05:31 AM
Well, the Real mayonnaise is the only thing worthwhile . There are a few good recipes for it.
Just don't use canola or any of the crud oils.
And what would a good coleslaw be....
... a good tuna fish sandwich .....
.... a good egg salad .....
... a good crab salad ...
and a few more interesting delicacies I could name without really good mayonnaise ?
I like mayo. I just don't like crud mayo .

Best regards,
Dan

Strange
2010-Dec-16, 10:28 AM

It still makes me scream silently "Noooo! What are you doing!!!"

Strange
2010-Dec-16, 10:37 AM
Just don't use canola or any of the crud oils.

I dispute your characterization of canola - obviously it depends on how it is produced - extra virgin canola (rapeseed) oil is one of the new trendy food items over here. It is high in monounstaturates and so one of the healthier oils.

geonuc
2010-Dec-16, 11:53 AM
Malt vinegar with ketchup on the side would be my preference, although I'm often good with nothing but salt.

Strange
2010-Dec-16, 11:55 AM
Salt and/or chilli sauce for me.

JohnD
2010-Dec-16, 12:08 PM
This is like discussing chalk and cheese.
Chips are in no way comparable to French Fries. They are supposed to be soft, not crispy, even if the fried coating is crisp. They should be fried in beef fat, not pig or vegetable oil, and with a scattering of vinegar, not dipped in it. Peasant!

But no one has mentioned the traditional accompaniment of chips that is not fried battered fish, mushy peas. Peas cooked so long that they fall apart, hence mushy.
Even Heston Blumenthal offers a recipe http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/heston_blumenthal/article631377.ece but horrors! He uses a blender!
Hi-tech peasant! And you can buy tins of mushy for lazy peasants!
Here's how to do it proper. http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations/mushy-peas Soak in bicarbonate overnight, then two hour simmer. Lovely!

John

MAPNUT
2010-Dec-16, 02:06 PM

Isn't putting mayonnaise on french fries kind of like sprinkling sugar on candy?

Buttercup
2010-Dec-16, 02:38 PM
Isn't putting mayonnaise on french fries kind of like sprinkling sugar on candy?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. :( Fries are already fattening enough! My arteries cringe just thinking of it. :shifty:

But to each their own of course.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-16, 03:00 PM
I know horseradish sauce has been mentioned, but I like a bit more.... Cocktail (aka shrimp) sauce.

It's probably because I usually had fries with fried seafood, and often that's what came with the dish (in restaurants, at least).

geonuc
2010-Dec-16, 07:34 PM
Perhaps wasabi mayo? I love it on sandwiches.

SeanF
2010-Dec-17, 02:21 AM
We had McDonald's for dinner tonight. The boy had their apple dippers with his meal, but then helped finish off our regular fries.

So I'm going to go ahead and throw out "caramel dip" as a fry condiment. I saw it with my own eyes.

Donnie B.
2010-Dec-20, 02:49 PM
Personally, I'm in the "salt only" camp. I never liked ketchup as a kid, and don't think much of it now (though I do use it occasionally in recipes or on burgers). The other things mentioned don't appeal to me at all. Mayo? I'm with Buttercup -- too hard on the arteries (see what I did there?)

But one thing that was mentioned has me intrigued. I never heard of using sateh (we spell it satay) sauce on fries until slang's post. I'll have to give that a try if I ever have the chance. (Satay sauce isn't commonly available in my local stores, but I'm sure I could find it if I looked around a bit.)

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-20, 04:00 PM
So where is Nicolas in all this discussion? Last I heard, fries are practically the national food of Belgium!

danscope
2010-Dec-20, 09:49 PM
They enjoy my favourite snack: Pickeled Herring ! Never get tired of them. Just delightfull . One of the street foods there.
I imaginet that really good fries go well with these .

Dan

slang
2010-Dec-20, 11:03 PM
But one thing that was mentioned has me intrigued. I never heard of using sateh (we spell it satay) sauce on fries until slang's post. I'll have to give that a try if I ever have the chance. (Satay sauce isn't commonly available in my local stores, but I'm sure I could find it if I looked around a bit.)

It's pretty easy to make (http://www.google.com/search?q=recipe+satay+sauce), using peanut butter, soy sauce, onion, garlic, sambal (chili pepper paste), and maybe a few other things. It may take a couple of tries to get it right, or to get the taste to your liking. Then again, the commercially available ones vary a lot in taste too.

IsaacKuo
2010-Dec-20, 11:18 PM
The best condiment for french fries is mashed potatoes. More of a dip, really.

Lord Jubjub
2010-Dec-20, 11:59 PM
So where is Nicolas in all this discussion? Last I heard, fries are practically the national food of Belgium!

I was stationed in Germany a couple of decades ago. On a vacation that took us through Brussels, we stopped to try the fries with mayonnaise. My sister stills drools when she thinks about it.

kleindoofy
2010-Dec-21, 12:34 AM
I live somewhat close to the Dutch border and everytime there's a street festival in the city there's always this guy from Holland selling "Frietjes speciaal" off his trailer. They're thick fries served with mayonnaise, ketchup and diced onions (like on the right in this picture (http://www.buurtaal.de/blog/wp-content/themes/thesis/custom/images/friet.jpg), or in this picture (http://www.frietopia.nl/img/uploads/1208-20080408-tocht0603.jpg), or in this picture (http://www.buurtaal.de/blog/wp-content/themes/thesis/custom/images/frietspeciaal.jpg), but served in a paper cone, like in this picture (http://lh5.ggpht.com/_GyrtmIwfkMQ/S-SCLVaXsGI/AAAAAAAABrs/XM34lZ4qOT0/DSC_0410.JPG).

Listen, if ya gotta go, that's the way: die happy.

Parrothead
2010-Dec-21, 07:10 PM
olive oil and salt
vinegar
sour cream and chives
brown gravy

rigel
2010-Dec-21, 07:53 PM
satay sauce is ok, but I prefer cheeses fries and hot sauce.

danscope
2010-Dec-22, 03:01 AM
Just for fun, on occasion I'll have some HP sauce or A1 steak sauce , and just a little, on the plate. Not bad with a roast beef sandwich .
But with seafood, it is certainly with the malt vinegar.

Dan

danscope
2011-Jan-01, 02:45 PM
Interesting developement: Some places are leaving the skin on the potatoes as they make french fries. More flavour , maybe a little more nutrition left inside. Good .

Dan

swampyankee
2011-Jan-01, 02:58 PM
Some places are also doing sweet potato fries. One of the better tasting orange foods ;)

Gawdzilla
2011-Jan-01, 03:37 PM
Gulden's mustard with jolokias added to perk it up.

mike alexander
2011-Jan-01, 06:11 PM
I'm sure this will provoke some controversy, but the best continent for french fries is North America.

With less than 8% of the world's population, North America consumes over 40% of the world's french fries.
"Peak Fries" is expected by 2020, after which substitutes will need to be found, such as zucchini fries.
I'm told that if you close your eyes and hold your nose, zucchini fries taste nothing like french fries.

Ara Pacis
2011-Jan-01, 07:56 PM
I'm sure this will provoke some controversy, but the best continent for french fries is North America.

With less than 8% of the world's population, North America consumes over 40% of the world's french fries.
"Peak Fries" is expected by 2020, after which substitutes will need to be found, such as zucchini fries.
I'm told that if you close your eyes and hold your nose, zucchini fries taste nothing like french fries.

that's because, unlike other continents, we don't convert potatoes into vodka before consumption.

kleindoofy
2011-Jan-01, 10:12 PM
Best condiment for French Fries

... best continent for french fries ...
Condiment vs. Continent

Interesting synonym pair.

danscope
2011-Jan-03, 06:46 PM
Any continent will do for french fries. Even an island, but of course.... they calls em chips there ! :)

slang
2011-Jan-03, 10:23 PM
The best condonement for fries is the fact that the Belgians love them, and they are great people.

nightmarepatrol
2011-Jan-03, 10:37 PM
Malt vinegar is usually my first choice. However, Sriracha chili sauce is awesome if you like spicy!
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/nightmarepatrol/np.jpg?t=1294093910

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jan-04, 04:52 AM
Condiment vs. Continent

Interesting synonym pair.
homophone pair

jokergirl
2011-Jan-04, 08:55 AM
Don't think there is more nutrition in the skin of the potatoes, as it's basically just a bark, not some special protective skin like on an apple.
(correct me if I'm wrong - too lazy to google)

The problem with fries in this country is that farmers have stopped making good quality potatoes. It's not like it's impossible - pretty much nothing else edible grows as well as potatoes here - but the big supermarket chains don't buy them, claiming people look for price, not quality. The Grade A potatoes literally go to the pigs. :(
I hope we'll be seeing a shift in attitudes soon though, with more and more people discovering that vegetables actually can taste nice if they're ripe and good quality.

;)

kleindoofy
2011-Jan-04, 09:34 PM
homophone pair
Well, I meant *supposed* synonym pair.

Btw, who'ya callin a homphone, huh? :naughty:

mike alexander
2011-Jan-04, 10:46 PM
Don't think there is more nutrition in the skin of the potatoes, as it's basically just a bark, not some special protective skin like on an apple.
(correct me if I'm wrong - too lazy to google)

The problem with fries in this country is that farmers have stopped making good quality potatoes. It's not like it's impossible - pretty much nothing else edible grows as well as potatoes here - but the big supermarket chains don't buy them, claiming people look for price, not quality. The Grade A potatoes literally go to the pigs. :(
I hope we'll be seeing a shift in attitudes soon though, with more and more people discovering that vegetables actually can taste nice if they're ripe and good quality.

;)

Yes. I grow Pontiac Reds and Russet Burbanks every year, and always end up stealing a third of the crop before they get to full size.

When you cut open a fresh potato it cracks like an apple; the sound makes my mouth water.

I make fries from both the reds and the whites. The textures are different but they both taste great.

Spoons
2011-Jan-05, 08:39 AM
jokergirl - according to this site (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-nutritional-value-of-the-potato-skins.htm), there is nutrition in the skins, and fibre, and also it helps preserve the stuff inside the potato while cooking.

Potato skins store many nutrients and also contain a lot of fiber, which is essential for a healthy diet. Leaving the potato skins on also helps preserve the nutrients in the flesh of the potato, which have a tendency to escape during cooking.

However, once you're making chips I'm not sure how much good nutrients are left, or how well it does protect the rest of the potato.

Tazelaar
2011-Jan-05, 02:41 PM
I was stationed in Germany a couple of decades ago. On a vacation that took us through Brussels, we stopped to try the fries with mayonnaise. My sister stills drools when she thinks about it.

What a way to make a first post on such a grand forum, but I have to say I'm proud of our Belgian fries, eventhough they are probably sending me to an early grave. :)

And the only true condiment for fries is Mayonnaise! Though I love a good "Friet Special" too. ;)

erisi236
2011-Jan-05, 09:01 PM
I always use Mustard on my fries, I'm a bit of an iconoclast. :3

Nicolas
2011-Jan-06, 01:09 PM
Specialist entering the building...

First of all, forget about "French" fries. They are Belgian, and that's what they are. They don't even make them good in France.

Second, there are no "different types" of fries. There is only one distinction to be made: good fries and bad fries.

Third, Good fries go with mayo and nothing but mayo, period. Bad fries go with the dustbin.

Fourth, salt is not a condiment to fries. It's an obligatory part of the preparation of fries.

Fifth, ketchup should only be combined with fries in the form of curry sausages finished off with onions, mayo and curry ketchup. Served with fries, mayo with the fries.

And so it will be done.

Nicolas
2011-Jan-06, 01:11 PM
Specialist entering the building...

First of all, forget about "French" fries. They are Belgian, and that's what they are. They don't even make them good in France.

Second, there are no "different types" of fries. There is only one distinction to be made: good fries and bad fries.

Third, Good fries go with mayo and nothing but mayo, period. Bad fries go with the dustbin.

Fourth, salt is not a condiment to fries. It's an obligatory part of the preparation of fries.

Fifth, ketchup should only be combined with fries in the form of curry sausages finished off with onions, mayo and curry ketchup. Served with fries, mayo with the fries.

And so it will be done. Tazelaar knows the drill.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Jan-10, 06:05 PM
only tried it a few times....would have to say mayonnaise

Torsten
2011-Jan-10, 08:48 PM
Ketchup. Sometimes vinegar.

kleindoofy
2011-Jan-10, 09:11 PM
... First of all, forget about "French" fries. They are Belgian ...
So is Hercule Poirot, but as he knows best, it's pointless to try to tell people so. ;)