PDA

View Full Version : Neil Armstrong Book

jrkeller
2004-Apr-23, 07:58 PM
A new book about Neil Armstrong was released about a month ago. It's called One Giant Leap (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312873433/qid=1082750043/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-5064778-1702469?v=glance&s=books). While it contains many errors, I found one extremely humorous section of bad astronomy. The book states something like, NASA was worried that the solar flares would incinerate the astronauts, but they crews were willing to take that risk. While I now that the solar flares do produce a lot of light and particles which affect the Van Allen belts, I found this especially humorous. If solar flares could incinerate astronauts on the moon, I think the effects on the Earth would be pretty bad too.

Avoid this book

skrap1r0n
2004-Apr-23, 08:27 PM
Possibly, although it does make for an interesting paradox.

In Ben Bova's Mars series one of the main players was the psychologist. I distinctly remember her asking one of the crew if this was a psychologically sound descision, and the response was something like:

"the very fact that we are a group of people willing to risk death to hurl ourselves millions of miles into the unknown for no other reason than to do it would automatically cause us to fail any psychological profiles required for such an endeavor"