PDA

View Full Version : Where do you want to live?

JohnOwens
2004-Apr-24, 12:54 AM
Where would you prefer to live? Assuming radiation & lack of metals aren't issues, and you're just colonizing some world for the view, which do you think would give the most spectacular skies at night?

(Feel free to nominate specific galaxies, but I'm not adding all of them to the poll options! :o )

sol_g2v
2004-Apr-24, 01:13 AM
R136 (http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2001/21/)

Ut
2004-Apr-24, 01:36 AM
I'm happy where I am. The skies are dark enough to be mysterious, but open enough to allow us to see the beauty the universe holds on most scales.

skrap1r0n
2004-Apr-24, 02:00 AM
hehe I don't really care as long as there are seas and enough weather so I can live on a 50' sailboat and sail the planet.

Majestic_Eagle
2004-Apr-24, 04:12 AM
Is it only our galaxy that has a blackhole in the center of it? Or do all galaxies have blackholes in their cores? If so wouldn't the option of "In/near the core of a galaxy" be obsolete?

hehe I don't really care as long as there are seas and enough weather so I can live on a 50' sailboat and sail the planet.
Awesome! :D

tracer
2004-Apr-24, 04:42 AM
which do you think would give the most spectacular skies at night?
For the view, nothing beats the galactic halo. You get to see the whole disk of the Milky Way rise in the sky, just like in that "galaxy rise" scene at the end of that episode of Cosmos.

(Though assuming, as you said, that lack of metals wasn't an issue. Globular clusters ain't exactly bursting at the seams with carbon and silicon, y'know.)

aporetic_r
2004-Apr-24, 05:05 AM

Now that's my kind of planet.

Aporetic

Eroica
2004-Apr-24, 09:00 AM
Here (http://store3.yimg.com/I/skyimage_1785_5490386)

Padawan
2004-Apr-24, 09:52 AM
For the view, nothing beats the galactic halo. You get to see the whole disk of the Milky Way rise in the sky, just like in that "galaxy rise" scene at the end of that episode of Cosmos.

Ahhh, now that would be an awesome scene! :D

Kaptain K
2004-Apr-24, 09:59 AM
I'm happy where I am. The skies are dark enough to be mysterious, but open enough to allow us to see the beauty the universe holds on most scales.
=D> Ditto! 8)

SarahMc
2004-Apr-24, 12:34 PM

(Though assuming, as you said, that lack of metals wasn't an issue. Globular clusters ain't exactly bursting at the seams with carbon and silicon, y'know.)

I agree. Inside a globular cluster above or below the galactic plane would be quite an interesting place to observe from, although I'd miss the closer views of nebulae from within/between the arms. It's a pretty tough decision to make.

eburacum45
2004-Apr-24, 03:32 PM
In actual fact, you might find some nebulae disappointing close up; they are often only visible by using high magnification and or long exposures;

a nice bright cluster on the other hand, especially a globular cluster would be a good place to live near to
as the stars in such a cluster would be brighter than any insubstantial nebula.

Brady Yoon
2004-Apr-24, 07:25 PM
I'd like to live inside the Pleaides, or maybe even in a planet orbiting Rigel/

Normandy6644
2004-Apr-24, 09:40 PM
I'd like to live here a couple million years in the future when the Andromeda galaxy is closing in on us. Now there's a sight!

Dgennero
2004-Apr-24, 10:10 PM
Like tracer, I'd prefer the Halo.
Best above our galaxy's core, on the fringe of a globular cluster facing the galaxy, so you have the cluster's star fields visible in one part of the sky and the unobstructed view of the Milky Way in the opposite hemisphere.

Andromeda321
2004-Apr-25, 02:16 AM
I vote halo. I'm getting kinda used to where we are now, the center would be a bit crowded, and the middle of intergalactic space would be a bit lonely. I mean you would have really dark skies in the middle of nowhere but you would have nothing to see short of some really deep sky stuff!
Actually, now that I think about it, one of the Magellenic clouds would be pretty cool if you were on the edge... you'd get to see the cloud AND the Milky Way (how big would it be in the sky? hmmmm) AND still have a few intergalactic vistas to keep you happy.

tuffel999
2004-Apr-25, 03:17 AM
Integalactic man I am!

SollyLama
2004-Apr-28, 10:38 PM
Woodland Park

AGN Fuel
2004-Apr-28, 11:42 PM
I would like to live on the near edge of the Large Magellanic Cloud, so that every evening I could see the Milky Way in all it's glory.

(I would also like to have a holiday cottage on a planet toward the middle of a Globular Cluster, and friends who like having frequent visitors and lived a safe but close distance from the central SMBH in the Milky Way.)

orangeSCT
2004-Apr-29, 03:20 AM
I would like to LIVE right where I am. But man, I sure would love to VISIT all of everybodies suggestions.

Brady Yoon
2004-Apr-29, 03:23 AM
I'd like to live around a 100 solar mass star that is about to go gamma-ray burst on you. :D

milli360
2004-Apr-29, 04:28 PM
I would like to live on the near edge of the Large Magellanic Cloud, so that every evening I could see the Milky Way in all it's glory.
But I can see the Milky Way in all its glory almost every night?

Dgennero
2004-Apr-29, 05:41 PM
Meaning?
You see the Milky Way from within (with much of it obstructed by dark dust clouds), but the sight from outside, close enough that the Spiral Structure and the soft glow of the central bulge is discernible, must be more glorious. (*)
The LMC is about 1/3 the size of our galaxy, so from there, the whole galaxy woould look three times as big as the LMC from here. I've never seen the LMC, but it might cover about 10 degrees in the sky.

(*) But we shouldn't expect too much - it will still not look like a photograph of M31 or the like - much more dim and hazy, I suppose.

milli360
2004-Apr-29, 07:21 PM
But we shouldn't expect too much - it will still not look like a photograph of M31 or the like - much more dim and hazy, I suppose.
The LMC is thirty degrees off the galactic plane, and ninety degrees from the center, and from reports looks pretty much like the rest of the Milky Way. I suppose the view of the Milky Way would be of similar brightness--and you'd only be able to see it at certain times of night. :)

skrap1r0n
2004-Apr-29, 10:59 PM
I'd like to live inside the Pleaides, or maybe even in a planet orbiting Rigel/

eerm I'm not sure I would want to view Orion from that Angle :lol:

xbck1
2004-Apr-29, 11:26 PM
Some place that's above the galactic plane so that a huge swath of the night sky is filled with the Milky Way. Or maybe a planet with several moons that were very visible and would occasionally eclipse each other. Wouldn't that be cool?

Mars
2004-Apr-30, 02:26 AM
Anywhere but Detroit!

iFire
2004-Apr-30, 02:47 AM
I would live just far out enough from a galexy so I would be able to see the whole thing, it would be kinda at an angle because streight on would be boring, and so would seeing it completely side-on. But yea, it would be a spiral galexy. Since its out of the galexy, I would say it would be intergalactic... I spelled so many things wrong, I just know it.

milli360
2004-Apr-30, 02:53 AM
Some place that's above the galactic plane so that a huge swath of the night sky is filled with the Milky Way.
We're looking at it right now edge-on, more or less, and a huge swath of the night sky is filled with the Milky Way. Above the galactic plane, the density would be less--we'd be looking through it, although some of the effect of the dust would be gone.

xbck1
2004-Apr-30, 03:33 AM
D'oh! Should've rephrased that.

milli360
2004-Apr-30, 06:40 AM
:)

I've been thinking about this for a long time--there's an old discussion on the board somewhere about what a nebula or galaxy would look like close up. An old article in Sky and Telescope pointed out that as objects get nearer they get brighter, but they spread out too. If they are three times as close, they'll be nine times brighter--but they'll appear nine times as large too, so their brightness, per square degree, doesn't necessarily increase.

Argos
2004-Apr-30, 01:04 PM
Living in a Magellanic cloud would make possible to see a big galaxy rising every night. That would be cool.

milli360
2004-Apr-30, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't it look a lot like the view of it that we have now, except smaller?

Dgennero
2004-Apr-30, 06:58 PM
I offer this simulation of an "outside" view of the galaxy: http://users.erols.com/arendt/Galaxy/mw.html#Glitz
But still too bright and prominent - I'll keep on looking on the Internet for a simulated view of our galaxy as it might appear from the halo.

Argos
2004-May-01, 01:00 PM

I meant the whole ellipse of the Milky Way galaxy (ellipse, because of the skewing due to the angle of sight). The Milky Way, as seen from an MC, would span many degrees. It would be a glorious sky. But, of course, depending on the region your were in the MC, the MW would show more or less defined.

edited

Dgennero
2004-May-01, 01:36 PM
BTW, here's a 3D model of our local group: http://www.astro.utu.fi/~rareko/EGal/elg/ELG3D.html

milli360
2004-May-01, 03:35 PM
I offer this simulation of an "outside" view of the galaxy: http://users.erols.com/arendt/Galaxy/mw.html#Glitz
But still too bright and prominent - I'll keep on looking on the Internet for a simulated view of our galaxy as it might appear from the halo.
Yes, check out their COBE image (http://universe.gsfc.nasa.gov/library/images/milkyway.html), that they say starts the movie. If your view of the Milky Way looks like that, I'm moving there tomorrow! :)

I'd say it's distorted by a couple orders of magnitude, from what we see naked-eye.

I meant the whole ellipse of the Milky Way galaxy (ellipse, because of the skewing due to the angle of sight). The Milky Way, as seen from an MC, would span many degrees.
But my point was, it does now.

It would be a glorious sky.
And I think it is, now.

Chip
2004-May-01, 08:35 PM
I like it here. But another interesting place would be in the Tadpole's Tail:

http://www.astroimages.net/Media/Galax/GA13.html

AZgazer
2004-May-01, 11:10 PM
All of the places mentioned are spectacular, I will sign up for any as long as there is a good galaxanet (the ultimate WAN :P ) connection, excellent frozen custard and of course no mosquitoes!

Weird Dave
2004-May-02, 11:10 AM
I'd like to live on a habitable moon orbiting a Jupiter-like gas giant. It would cut down the dark time for using telescopes (but you could launch them into space into the planet's lagrange points), but you'd be able to watch the clouds swirl in great detail. And all those other moons would be observable with small telescopes.

It would also be nice to have a planetary nebula (like the ring nebula) nearby. Not so close that it is too diffuse, but maybe half the diameter of the moon and naked-eye visible.

milli360
2004-May-02, 04:30 PM
It would also be nice to have a planetary nebula (like the ring nebula) nearby. Not so close that it is too diffuse, but maybe half the diameter of the moon and naked-eye visible.
There are tradeoffs, like that. The Ring Nebula is about 1 minute across, and the moon is 30--so the Ring Nebula would have to be 15 times closer than it is, or about 150 ly. It's mag. 9 visually, so its magnitude would increase to not-quite 3. That's about the same as the Andromeda Galaxy.