PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 outer space scenes in a film and why...

buzzlightyear
2002-Apr-24, 05:55 PM
And the nominees are… It’s fun to hear what scenes in a film stand out, science fiction or otherwise. Now lets hear what space scenes kept you buying a ticket (or rewinding your VCR) time and again.

Wiley
2002-Apr-24, 06:04 PM
Welcome to the BABB, Buzz. But, er, doesn't this belong in the "No doughnut" section?

Anyway two scenes come immediately to mind:
1.) The "spaceship waltz" in 2001
2.) The opening sequence of Contact

Silas
2002-Apr-24, 06:11 PM
The old tv series UFO, while hokey in a lot of ways, had some very strong moments... There was one episode where our hero and an alien were on the moon without any transport, and were trying to get to the nearest survival shed.

Yes, yes, I know, it's been done a hundred times: a cowboy and an indian, a French Foreign Legionnaire and a Tuareg, etc... But it's still a pretty motif, and they did it very well...

The opening scene of Star Wars...

The IMAX film "The Dream is Alive" -- I always remember the scene where the shuttle is passing over southern Italy and Greece. Icarus is in flight...

Silas

amstrad
2002-Apr-24, 08:09 PM
On 2002-04-24 14:04, Wiley wrote:
2.) The opening sequence of Contact

I loved the concept and the point it was trying to make, I just wish the radio signals corresponded to the point in space that the signal have travelled to. I understand it would not make it as visually interesting, but they could have passed by local stars within the ~60 ly radius as the signal fades.

One space movies that I enjoyed and is overlooked is Silent Running.

Wiley
2002-Apr-24, 09:32 PM
On 2002-04-24 14:11, Silas wrote:
The opening scene of Star Wars...

Oh, yeah! Good one. I remember the first time I saw Star Wars. The Princess's ship goes by and then the Star Destroyer goes by. Everyone in the audience is thinking, "Oh, crap, these guys are in some serious trouble."

Russ
2002-Apr-25, 12:54 AM
1) My first is from a little known, seldom used movie from about 62', called "Robinson Cruso on Mars". The alien slave space ships working on the mining project, scene. They zip on & off the screen so quickly you hardly see them move, starting and stoping abruptly. I would expect that of such an advanced technology.

Curious little side bar. If you look close, they are the same spaceship models use in the 50's movie "War of The Worlds" only without the little periscope thing on top. :lol:

2) The scene from Star Wars: The Empire Striks Back: Lea has just kissed Luke to prove Han wrong about her. Chewie laughs about it. Han says "Laugh it up fuzzball!" to Chewie. I witnessed a similar scene involving all humans once. The SW:TESB scene holds great personal irony.

3) The launch sequince from "Apollo 13". Need I say more?

(edit to add to more)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 2002-04-24 21:03 ]</font>

Silas
2002-Apr-25, 01:45 AM
One space movies that I enjoyed and is overlooked is Silent Running.

I'm humiliated to say that, while I am a fan of Bruce Dern and Peter Schickele, I have never actually seen this movie... I'm gonna make a quick call to Amazon.com and buy it, by golly. (I have the sound-track!)

Silas

Donnie B.
2002-Apr-25, 02:14 AM
It's a good film with outstanding SFX (for its day)... Doug Trumbull was the director, I believe.

Its tree-hugging message is laid on a bit thick, though. But I can forgive it; its heart is in the right place.

It's so weird to see Bruce Dern as the hero, though. He's played so many nasty, sleazy villains (e.g. "The Cowboys") that he's a bit tough to swallow in the good-guy role.

amstrad
2002-Apr-25, 05:11 AM
On 2002-04-24 22:14, Donnie B. wrote:
Doug Trumbull was the director, I believe.

Yes. He is a master of visual effects contributing to films like 2001, Close Encounters, Towering Inferno and Blade Runner. Quite a resumé.

Silas
2002-Apr-25, 04:54 PM
On 2002-04-24 22:14, Donnie B. wrote:
It's so weird to see Bruce Dern as the hero, though. He's played so many nasty, sleazy villains (e.g. "The Cowboys") that he's a bit tough to swallow in the good-guy role.

Yep! After "The Cowboys," he actually received death threats ("You killed John Wayne!") He also has just about the funniest scene in "Judge Roy Bean," when he plays a drunk shooting up the place. You can see him on old tv shows over and over and over; I really love the guy!

(I know this is way off topic... This isn't the kind of "star" we should be talking about!)

Silas

Timm
2002-Apr-25, 05:35 PM
2001, the moment when Bowman blows himself out of the repair pod and enters the emergency air lock of the Discovery.

Staship Troopers: The terran fleet in orbit over Clendatu(sp?) and the landing of the dropships. Not really realistic SciFi, but very cool.
The ring around the Moon was a nice view, too.

All the "classic" Star Wars space battles, they just impressed me so much.

Although the astronaut surfing through space from "Dark Star" was hilarious... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Timm on 2002-04-25 13:36 ]</font>

cosmonaut
2002-Apr-25, 06:40 PM
Do new films count? I got to see a sneak preview of the most amazing space movie EVER! Space Station 3-D. I saw it in an IMAX theater. If you’ve ever been to an IMAX movie, you know that the screen is something like eight stories high and it completely fills your field of vision. Between that and the 3-D imaging, it really makes you feel like you’re an astronaut hundreds of miles above the earth. The sound thumps at you and pulls you in with everything else. It’s an incredible experience. Pretty much the whole movie is an outer space scene, so I'll use up my three and go with that one. I think everyone should see this, but particularly any fan of space films: http://www.imax.com/imaxspacestation

O.K., I have to mention one more, even though the scene takes place inside a ship rather than an being an ‘outer space’ shot. One of my all time favorite sci-fi moments is the dinner scene in Alien when the creature pops out of John Hurt’s chest. I couldn’t stop drawing pictures of it when I was a kid. That scene was so masterfully done. I wish Ridley Scott would do another space film.

ToSeek
2002-Apr-25, 07:43 PM
How about the liftoff in Apollo 13, particularly the shots from above?

Another I don't know if it counts or not, but the UFO in Close Encounters of the Third Kind that tails the car, looking as if it has some kind of fancy headlights, then takes off upward.

Peter B
2002-Apr-25, 11:45 PM
Well, I can't really think of good scenes, but three good movies:

1. The Princess Bride;
2. Life of Brian;
3. Apollo 13; (and like others, I'm impressed by the liftoff scenes, particularly those from above)

Other favourites:

Total Recall, Aliens, Gladiator. (I'll probably have to edit this as I remember more.

Phobos
2002-Apr-26, 12:06 AM
I would like to nominate the origional planet of the apes film, Enemy Mine (not well known, but brilliantly acted version of Robinson Crueso set on Mars), and for their sheer entertainment value the Star Trek films (I once saw 7 of them on the trot in an 11 hour special at the cinema for charity).

Phobos

Ring
2002-Apr-26, 03:02 AM
For its time, Forbidden Planet's monster from the ID was something to behold.

A quesion: Was the creature from the black lagoon the first sci fi monster?

David Hall
2002-Apr-26, 05:42 AM
Phobos, I agree that Enemy Mine is an underrated film. I keep hearing bad things about it, but I thought it was pretty good. I believe it wasn't Mars though. The setting was an unexplored planet somewhere far away.

Ring, I think Forbidden Planet holds up well even today. That 1956 movie still blows away some of the lesser budgeted movies of today and has a better story than even the blockbusters (Armageddon, anyone?)

I would say that Frankenstein's monster was the first true Sci-Fi monster, if you count all media and not just movies. First true movie monster, I couldn't say. Maybe the android in Metropolis?

Wally
2002-Apr-26, 11:23 AM
Gotta admit, the scene where the CM finally appears with chutes deployed in Apollo 13 makes me teary eyed every time I see it!

Cosmonaut, aren't you the lucky one! I've been waiting for Space Station 3-D for months now. It's scheduled for this June, I think, although my wife and I can usually snag a special review showing earlier.

Wally

Thumper
2002-Apr-26, 11:38 AM
[quote]
On 2002-04-26 07:23, Wally wrote:
Gotta admit, the scene where the CM finally appears with chutes deployed in Apollo 13 makes me teary eyed every time I see it!

The scene was history. You knew they were going to make it; you knew they lived. But Ron Howard created so much suspense, you could cut through the air in Mission Control with a knife. Anything that can make (flight director) Gene Kranz tear up, makes me tear up.

I remember seeing a prevue for the original STAR WARS. I was so blown away, I have no idea what movie I was actually there to see. I thought, "Wow! Somebody made a movie just for me!"

ToSeek
2002-Apr-26, 01:52 PM
On 2002-04-26 01:42, David Hall wrote:
Phobos, I agree that Enemy Mine is an underrated film. I keep hearing bad things about it, but I thought it was pretty good.

Enemy Mine isn't a patch on the story it was based on. It may be okay on its own, but I can't separate it from the story since that's what I encountered first.

Bob S.
2002-Apr-26, 06:10 PM
A few of my favorites...

Dark Star: trying to talk the bomb into not exploding.

2001: Landing at the moon base.

2010: Spacewalk to the spinning Discovery.

Babylon 5: Sherridan (sp?) freefloating in the space station after just escaping the exploding tram.

Alien: After the newly hatched critter escapes into the bowels of the ship, the first guy who encounters a now full grown BEM alien. Very suspenseful.

Star Wars: The dogfight over the Death Star.

Angry Red Planet: The spider-bat thingy.

When Worlds Collide: Prepping the rocket for launch.

Abbot and Costello on Mars: The Venus honeys. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Azpod
2002-Apr-26, 06:54 PM
1) I'm surprised no one mentioned The Right Stuff: the opening scene, and John Glenn's re-entry. Both really gave a good prespective on how hazardous it is to be the one pushing the envelope.

2) HAL's death scene from 2001, which is one of the scenes that gave me the love for AI that I currently have. I still hope to see real-life HALs within my lifetime, tho with their homicidal tendacies toned down a bit...! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

3) The manual tajectory correction burn in Apollo 13. It was very tense... and atonishing that such a thing could work.

--Azpod... Formerly known as James Justin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Azpod on 2002-04-26 14:59 ]</font>

ToSeek
2002-Apr-26, 07:02 PM
On 2002-04-26 14:54, Azpod wrote:
3) The manual trajectory correction burn in Apollo 13. It was very tense... and astonishing that such a thing could work.

Actually, I thought that scene was way overdramatized - there's no way the reality could have been nearly that hair-raising.

Donnie B.
2002-Apr-27, 01:16 AM
It wasn't. There was a healthy dose of Hollywoodization in that scene. But it was a maneuver that had never been done quite that way before (except possibly in a simulator).

JimB
2002-Apr-27, 02:55 AM
Star Wars, A New Hope opening scene. Saw the first ship go over and thought, "Wow, this is going to be good!" Then the second ship went over and I just sat there with my mouth open, totaly stunned... Driving home after the moive my friends had to keep telling me "That's not a Death Star... Don't dog-fight with the family station wagon... Stop making zap noises at the police cars, ..." I was wound so tight it was amazing.

Buckaroo Banzai for just great fun, great lines to repeat, and a really bent kind of science.

Apollo 13 because it put us right there with the astronauts, mission control, and all the support people. You know how it ends and you still have a lump in your throat.

From Earth to the Moon because each episode is told a bit differently and tells more than just the typical history, i.e. lift off this date, land this time, return this location... Each episode shows so many people involved in so many ways, so much detail, so much science and engineering, how could it possibly be a hoax?

- - - -
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

SpacedOut
2002-Apr-27, 02:31 PM
My most memorable Space SF visual moment is the opening scene of “Star Wars - A New Hope”. It probably isn’t on most people’s top 10 list anymore but when I was dragged to see the movie I expected more of the same lousy space special effects that had become the Hollywood standard in the years after 2001. Like JimB, that scene blew me away, so much so it’s the only movie I remember seeing that summer (I went 7 more times dragging any friend or family member my girlfriend or I could find!)

Another great scene is the flight in the asteroid field in “Star Wars – The Empire Strikes Back” – it looses a lot of its impact on the TV screen but was very intense on the 70mm wide screen.

Beyond that I tend to agree with most of the other selections mentioned here although its hard to come up with just three.

odysseus0101
2002-Apr-27, 05:09 PM
I might only add the proto-fascist Federal Service ads at the beginning and end of Starship Troopers.

Roy Batty
2002-Apr-27, 05:19 PM
I like that bit when you're desperately rotating the Cobra MkII to match the docking port of the dodecahedron space station whilst avoiding police Vipers, navy Asps & pirate Fer De Lances trying to grab your full cargo bay of alien Thargoid artifacts...
What do you mean, its a game not a movie?!
Uh oh.. I need to get out more /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

WardKendall
2002-Apr-28, 01:14 AM
I agree with Russ. The rapid-motion of the alien ships in "Robin Crusoe On Mars" had an eerie realism about them, and one effect I've not seen since.

I also think that the approach of the "starcruiser" to Altair IV in "Forbidden Planet was exceptional (for its time).

And, finally, the asteroid bombardment of the planet Metaluna in "This Island Earth" was sophisticated for its time, and helped pave the way for even better special effects in later sci-fi movies.

Ward Kendall
author of the new sci-fi novel "Hold Back This Day"

moonbuggy
2002-Apr-28, 01:57 AM
On 2002-04-26 14:54, Azpod wrote:
1) I'm surprised no one mentioned The Right Stuff: the opening scene, and John Glenn's re-entry. Both really gave a good prespective on how hazardous it is to be the one pushing the envelope.

I remember seeing The Right Stuff, during my first visit to New York City, in a theatre that had great sound - first time I had seen large, multiple speakers and they actually turned the volume up to a decent level.
So, years later, I picked it up on Laserdisc and, thinking about it now, will have to set aside some time and watch it again soon, with the volume turned way up (to 11 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif).

Peter

informant
2002-May-02, 08:16 PM
Good choices, everyone!

Timm

Staship Troopers: The terran fleet in orbit over Clendatu(sp?) and the landing of the dropships. Not really realistic SciFi, but very cool.

I think it’s “Klendathu”.

Ring

I once read that the monster that started the trend of sci-fi monsters was none other than The Thing From Another World itself…
At least, it seems to have started the trend of monster films in the fifties.

Bob S.
2001: Landing at the moon base.

Alien: After the newly hatched critter escapes into the bowels of the ship, the first guy who encounters a now full grown BEM alien. Very suspenseful.

I love these too.
“2001” is a joy to the eye (and the ear), and that is one of its greatest scenes.
Although I also like “Aliens”, I think it was a shame that James Cameron usually didn’t take as much care to build up the suspense as Ridley Scott. That scene is awesome, perfect.

2010: Spacewalk to the spinning Discovery.

And don’t forget that “2010” has some great pieces of dialogue, too. For instance, Floyd’s conversation with Moisevitch, at the beginning of the film.

odysseus0101

I might only add the proto-fascist Federal Service ads at the beginning and end of Starship Troopers.

Lol. “Do you want to know more?”… /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
(“Robocop 2” also had some nice bits of satire.)

If I had to pick 3 scenes, it would be too hard, so instead I’ll just mention a few films: “2001” has some outstanding scenes. So do the “Star Wars” trilogy films; great opening scenes. “Alien” has excellent moments of suspense.

But here’s the one everyone seems to have forgotten about: “Blade Runner”!

“I have seen things you people wouldn’t believe…”

SeanF
2002-May-02, 09:22 PM
On 2002-05-02 16:16, informant wrote:
Good choices, everyone!

Ring

I once read that the monster that started the trend of sci-fi monsters was none other than The Thing From Another World itself…

Nah, the first sci-fi monster movie would have to be 1910's "Frankenstein," co-directed by the one and only Thomas Alva Edison . . .

Roy Batty
2002-May-03, 12:02 AM
But here?s the one everyone seems to have forgotten about: ?Blade Runner?!
?I have seen things you people wouldn?t believe??

"..battleships on fire off the shoulder of Orion".
Nah, I was just being quiet for a change /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Wiley
2002-May-03, 12:20 AM
I once read that the monster that started the trend of sci-fi monsters was none other than The Thing From Another World itself?

I really love that movie. That movie and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" started 50's sci-fi/monster movie craze. Of course the subsequent movies forgot that what made "The Thing..." and "The Day ..." great were good dialogue, good acting, interesting characters, and moral themes.

Thargoid
2002-May-03, 08:29 PM
(clicks mandibles)

Tell me about it!

beskeptical
2002-May-05, 07:09 AM
The movie "Battlefield Earth" was bad and totally missed the real story, but the book was fantastic. Actually, I listened to it on books on tape. It's about 30 cassettes long, don't get an abridged version. Forget the movie failure, the book was nothing like it. The only part I didn't like was the last few paragraphs. I don't think L Ron Hubbard had an ending and he probably had a publication deadline or something. I actually wanted to drive just to hear more of the story.

Manchurian Taikonaut
2004-Mar-08, 04:08 PM
even better I'll give you my top 10

No 1

that scene where the space Odyessey crew have the best computer on earth, the HAL system, but then you look at that red eye Hal and go.."Oh darn!"...... and you know even though they have the best space computer system on earth something is going to mess up because it can!
http://eurekaweb.free.fr/image/Hal_2001.jpg

No 2

man meets alien, let me just say there are no hello! hand shakes or flowers
this is not pretty, this thing sticks onto your head
http://www.skeeter.demon.co.uk/a1hugger-remove.jpg

No3

Great Russian science fiction film
http://www.dubbel.pair.com/solaris/images/know.jpg

No4

The father of space films, george milies
http://theyshootpictures.com/levoyagedanslalune.jpg

No 5

Arnie ( our action hero ) is watching TV and there's an Advert..Have you always wanted to climb the mountains of mars...but now you're over the hill?
http://totalrecall2070.free.fr/sfmovie/recall3.jpg

No 6
one of the best films in the world ( german )
http://www.edinburghfilmguild.com/stills/metropolis.jpg

No 7
Giant robot.....a kingkong, godzilla type film
http://members.cox.net/automatron/images/giantrobot.jpg

No 8
Rocket ships X-M, they launch to the moon, get knocked off course and end up drifting to the planet mars ( Llyod bridges looks like bush? )
http://gotomars.free.fr/affiche/50-1G.jpg

No 9
This is a very good film, too many good moments in dune
http://www.duneworld.org/movie/images/rev_moth.jpg

No10
Sam Neil and Laurence Fishburne play two astronauts in the movie Event-horzion, they discuss Faster than light travel, but something bad might be waiting for them....
http://www.thefilmreview.co.uk/movie_img/event_horizon/main.jpg

No...
http://www.artistdirect.com/soundtracks/photos/apollo13.gif
oooOOps that's more than 10

I think this is a cool link.... a french site with poster about every film made about mars
http://gotomars.free.fr/affiche_t.html

eburacum45
2004-Mar-08, 04:56 PM
I have to say that Silent Running is full of bad science; bad spaceship design; bad ecology; bad robotics; bad psychology.

Bruce Dern is quite good, though.

sts60
2004-Mar-08, 06:24 PM
Don't forget the spaceship ride (http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/brian-13.htm) from The Life of Brian. A masterful non sequitir.

daver
2004-Mar-08, 09:43 PM
I have to say that Silent Running is full of bad science; bad spaceship design; bad ecology; bad robotics; bad psychology.

But good explosions.

The Watcher
2004-Mar-09, 01:34 AM
How can I pick just 3?
In no particular order...

The openning of 'Contact'. Granted not scienfically accurate but I think we can forgive that! Plus, from the moment of discovery of the message through to when Elle says 'Everybody' is full of stiring excitment and actually quite inspiring.

Star Trek 'First Contact'. This has many great scenes mostly centered around Picard. The openning battle and the Lily/Picard argument about blowing up the ship spring to mind. It has some exceptional lighting effects. (I have a technical theatre background so I notice these things.)

Twelve Monkeys: Just a great time travel, end of the world movie.

2001 ASO: All of it, but can I pick out Dave Bowman jogging round 360 degrees, upside down!

Red Dwarf: 'Back to Reality'. When the guys are discovering their real identities.

Donnie Darko: I love time travel based movies and I've seen it 4 times but I still can't figure it out. (Perhaps we're not supposed to!)

Yes, I kept it down to three.

AGN Fuel
2004-Mar-09, 02:38 AM
Red Dwarf: 'Back to Reality'. When the guys are discovering their real identities.

:lol: :lol: :lol: "That's traffic control!" :lol:

Wrong forum, but while it's here:

- The whole sequence in Apollo 13 from suiting up to launch to TD&amp;E. Seen it a hundred times, but could put it on with the volume at 11 &amp; watch in awe again right now.

- The scene in 'Contact' where Ellie sees the large spiral galaxy stretched out against the sky. Stunning.

- All the images of the Parkes radio telescope in 'The Dish', especially the ones that show it at dusk with the lights on. PKS is a beautiful old girl.

The Watcher
2004-Mar-09, 03:16 AM
All the images of the Parkes radio telescope in 'The Dish', especially the ones that show it at dusk with the lights on. PKS is a beautiful old girl.

Of course! The Dish!
One of my favouite movies! Some great ozzie humour. One line that has become a bit of a catch phrase with myself is when the mayor goes into town and meets the cafe owner who says that the NASA fellow asked for pretsels (spelling?) this morning. The mayor replys 'Yep. It's a world event' Not so funny written down but in context it's great.
Suddenly I feel like watching it again.

I notice Apollo 13 has had several mentions, I'll have to rent it out and watch it again as I cannot remember it at all.

AGN Fuel
2004-Mar-09, 05:42 AM
All the images of the Parkes radio telescope in 'The Dish', especially the ones that show it at dusk with the lights on. PKS is a beautiful old girl.

Of course! The Dish!
One of my favouite movies! Some great ozzie humour. One line that has become a bit of a catch phrase with myself is when the mayor goes into town and meets the cafe owner who says that the NASA fellow asked for pretsels (spelling?) this morning. The mayor replys 'Yep. It's a world event' Not so funny written down but in context it's great.
Suddenly I feel like watching it again.

I spent part of my childhood in a country NSW town very similar to Parkes and I get very nostalgic when I watch 'The Dish'. I remember when I first saw it, the character played by Tom Long brought up a cup of tea in an orange ceramic mug - I had the exact same mug at the time (they must have been mass produced in the sixties) and that one simple thing brought many happy memories flooding back!

My favourite part of the movie is the attempt to play the US national anthem for the ambassador. I also like the news reporter holding a small model LM &amp; a large astronaut doll, solemnly noting "I must stress that these are not to scale".

I notice Apollo 13 has had several mentions, I'll have to rent it out and watch it again as I cannot remember it at all.

Do. Fantastic movie.

Anthrage
2004-Mar-09, 06:33 AM
I'm surprised given the forum how few people chose to respond to the question in a more precisely accurate fashion - that is, 'space scenes' - but it's all good. Here are my three:

1) Opening sequence of Contact (yes, inaccurate, but ironically, at the same time it serves to put things in perspective - for those who lacked it anyway, heh)

2) 2010 - The scenes around jupiter, especially the 'aerobraking' orbital insertion (which is ludicrous of course), I thought were wonderful.

3) The opening sequence of Pitch Black, that which takes place in space. I loved the way the string of cometary debris appears curved, due to the scale that is being suggested by the scene. One of the few moments I can remember of seeing something that I felt would truly require me to be in space in order to experience such a view. Once seeing a planet from orbit would have been such a view, but amazingly, that has become almost - though not quite - mundane. :)

I'd also have promoted the classic scenes from 2001 (I'm watching it on DVD right now!), but one choice that has been listed repeatedly is enough I think. :)

Weird Dave
2004-Mar-09, 11:52 AM
All the great film scenes seem to have been mentioned, so I'd like to mention some scenes from books that have a sort of film-sequence quality.

3: The whole of The Star by H. G. Wells. Sort of like Armageddon, but better, and Victorian.

2: The solar sailing in The Wind from the Sun by Arthur C. Clarke

1: The time jump sequence in Stephen Baxter's Time, where the whole future of the Universe is revealed. I'd also like to mention Space, where Baxter describes colliding moons in an extremely realistic AND dramatic way - if only Hollywood could do the same.

Contact the film is also great, but I vote for the bit where the vibrating chair is ripped out of the travel-pod thing, and it suddenly becomes silent...

Iain Lambert
2004-Mar-09, 02:41 PM
1) The moment in 2001 where you realise that HAL is reading their lips, and you get the shot of his 'eye'. Its filled with just a terrifying amount of malevolence for an inanimate object.

2) Alien. The cut from Kane's meeting with the facehugger to the exterior of the planetoid. Your mind filling all the gaps in, and wanting to crawl behind your back to hide.

3) The Fall Of The Line, Babylon 5, as the effects sounds drop away, and the score really goes to work, its amazingly powerful.

Sorry, was this my top Space moments or top Scary ones?