PDA

View Full Version : Got my Binoc's this weekend!

skrap1r0n
2004-Apr-26, 02:24 PM
Yup, its true, I got myself some 16 x 50 bushnells with a tripod mount. I have played around with them in the daytime and they seem to be pretty decent, for the price. I picked them up new at Academy for under $60 bucks.

Wouldn't you know it would be all overcast this weekend. well hopefully around 10pm CST, things should clear up a bit. I notice I will need a heavier and teller tripod, the rinky-dink thing I am using now is pretty unstable, and short. It's made for a point and shoot type camera. I have another one at my parents house that was made for the Old School Video cameras. (you know the 20 lb camera with the seperate recorder?) Thats ought to be sturdy enough, and taller.

Hopefully I will be able to do a better job of learning my way around the sky now. I want to start scoring some Messier Objects as soon as possible.

Glom
2004-Apr-26, 02:34 PM
Ahh, binoculars. Easy to use and profoundly excellent. We have two eyes for a reason.

skrap1r0n
2004-Apr-26, 02:57 PM
well there IS than and the fact that it will take approximately a year to save for the 10" Orion Dob, I want.

orangeSCT
2004-Apr-26, 06:06 PM
Congrats on your new binocs. Just in time for the comets. As far as a mount, I have been thinking about building a parallelogram mount like this www.astro-tom.com/projects/binocular_mount.htm
I haven't gotten around to it yet :oops: but plan on doing so soon. Depending on your level of mechanical ability (it has got to be better than mine) it doesn't look like it should be too hard. And from what I have read, this kind of mount is Ideal for binocular astronomy.

edited to get link to work

bearcub
2004-Apr-26, 07:27 PM
Congradulations skrap1r0n. I picked up a pair of Celestron 15x70 a little while back (cost me more than $60 though #-o ). Like you, I picked up, what I thought, was a pretty stable tripod. Wrong! I've been able to get it to work with a little playing around, but not what I'd call ideal.

I checked out the link that orangeSCT referred to, and it's pretty cool. I've seen a similar style at my local Orion store, but don't remember the price. It's all metal and most likely WAY more than what you could build that one for.

I also found another do-it-yourself binocular mount at http://www.cloudynights.com/ATM/comet_couch.htm

Good luck and clear skies :D :D

Wolverine
2004-Apr-26, 09:14 PM
Yup, its true, I got myself some 16 x 50 bushnells with a tripod mount.

Wouldn't you know it would be all overcast this weekend. well hopefully around 10pm CST, things should clear up a bit.

I feel your pain, neighbor. A week ago Friday I picked up a pair of Orion 15x80 Megaviews and tripod from a great little local shop (http://www.austinastronomy.com/), and they've hardly been out of the case due to seemingly incessant cloud cover. So, it's all my fault, I jinxed the weather conditions. :wink:

This week is looking a whole lot better, though. :)

Dgennero
2004-Apr-27, 07:36 PM
That's exactly the one what I'd like to buy as a 2nd pair for Moon, venus phases etc. observation. The Tasco Sonoma 16x50 is also an option (they brag around with "reduced glare"...).
I had a Northwest Territory (Kmart) 16x32 for this before, but the optics are bad.
I hope the Bushnells focus clearly?
Also, I have had a bad experience with a Bushnell Falcon 10x50 a while ago - it got somewhat humid (NOT wet), and the glue dissolved so that one lens fell inside! They could at least have afforded two of these fastening metal rings...

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Apr-28, 02:59 AM
Check here -- cheapo intro prices, and built-in nebula filters... (www.apogeeinc.com) my 12x60's are coming soon...

Dgennero
2004-Apr-28, 02:32 PM
I got them too, now.
Excellent performance, but the neckstrap sucks big time. Rigid plastic, always about to come off - use something else ;)