PDA

View Full Version : New Mineral From the Moon Discovered

Maksutov
2004-Apr-27, 03:39 AM
Appears to be a new compound of iron and silicon, Fe2Si. It's been named hapkeite, after Bruce Hapke of University of Pittsburgh, who, 30 years ago, predicted the process that forms this mineral. =D>

Go here (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040426/ap_on_sc/moon_mineral_1) for the complete story.

I wonder what RCH will come up with regarding this... :roll:

tuffel999
2004-Apr-27, 03:41 AM
Uhhh....didn't you know RCH theorized it existed 40 years ago :o

Maksutov
2004-Apr-27, 03:48 AM
Uhhh....didn't you know RCH theorized it existed 40 years ago :o

...and will take credit for it tomorrow.

Then will blast Pitt, NASA, and the BA for not giving him credit or credence, followed by appeals for donations. #-o

I'm sure the first blast subject will be more than adequately debunked by Andromeda321! :)

Jigsaw
2004-Apr-27, 08:15 PM
Uhhh... 8-[ ... is there a lay person's explanation for what "hapkeite" is? It's a meteorite that came from "outer space" and then hit the moon and then weathered "funny"? Or it's a chunk of the moon that weathered funny and then, what, broke off the moon and flew to Earth? How did it do that?

Small meteorites that would burn up in an atmosphere like Earth's can crash into the moon because of its lack of an atmosphere. The mineral was found in a piece of the moon that had been large enough to make it through the Earth's atmosphere without being destroyed.
They're saying that a meteorite from outer space landed on the moon, weathered funny, and then bounced off and landed in Oman?

When that happens, Taylor explained, the impact creates heat that melts some of the rocks and forms a vapor that is deposited on nearby materials.

Or did it form the "hapkeite" once it landed in Oman?

Urk. The article could have been written more clearly.

I'm lost. :-? :-k

Archer17
2004-Apr-27, 08:19 PM
I read about this on the BBC yesterday and they do a better job of explaining it. Click here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3659551.stm) Jigsaw.

TriangleMan
2004-Apr-27, 08:26 PM
Thank you Archer. After reading the article I was wondering how they knew the meteorite was from the Moon in the first place? :-?