PDA

View Full Version : Quadrantid Meteor Shower - 2011 JAN 03/04

Centaur
2010-Dec-29, 07:18 PM
The Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to peak during the night of 2011 JAN 03/04. The Dark Moon will present no hindrance. The radiant is actually in Bo÷tes, while the shower’s name refers to an obsolete constellation. It’s a fairly conspicuous shower, but the peak period is essentially for that one night, which is of shorter duration than most showers.

I’ve created a timetable for the major meteor showers to be seen during 2011-2020. In general any particular meteor shower is best seen in your area during the hours between local midnight* and morning twilight nearest to the time of the global peak. That’s when you’re on the side of the Earth plowing into the meteor stream. It’s also helpful to observe when the radiant constellation is as high as possible. A nearly full or waning gibbous Moon causes the most hindrance. My timetable which includes Moon data can be seen at: http://www.curtrenz.com/astronomical

* Local midnight is the time midway between sunset and sunrise.

Dekzper
2011-Jan-01, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the reminder, additional info, and link. After seeing the amazing meteor over England, from the last Geminid shower, I'll def be all over this one. Any idea about what the expected peak frequency of meteors might be?

Centaur
2011-Jan-04, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the reminder, additional info, and link. After seeing the amazing meteor over England, from the last Geminid shower, I'll def be all over this one. Any idea about what the expected peak frequency of meteors might be?

Glad your appreciative, Dekzper, and welcome to the discussion group.

The Quadrantids can produce from 10 to 60 meteors per hour for a northern hemisphere observer, however that expectation lasts for only about eight hours, thus disappointing many observers for whom the peak does not occur between their local midnight and dawn.