PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol [Now spoiler enabled]

Jim
2010-Dec-30, 07:19 PM
This was the first time a Christmas episode premiered in the UK and the US (BBC America) on the same Christmas Day. I'm surprised no one started a thread before this.

I liked how the Doctor used the Tardis' time travel capabilities in this one. And the ending was satisfyingly bittersweet. Not a bad ep.

Moose
2010-Dec-30, 07:34 PM
I liked how the Doctor used the Tardis' time travel capabilities in this one. And the ending was satisfyingly bittersweet. Not a bad ep.

Agreed. It was an exceptionally clever bit of writing. I'd say more, but River Song would scold me for the "Spoilers". Michael Gambon really sold it.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Dec-30, 07:55 PM
It was, IMO, the first Christmas Special to be any good at all.

I read an interview with Steven Moffat in which he listed things a Christmas story must include. Personally I thought at least one of the items (which involved flying) would have been better excluded. I also thought the items with fins were a mediocre concept unconvincingly realised.

Otherwise very enjoyable, with some nice time travel ideas. It was great to see the action mostly moved away from Earth, and the Doctor's enthusiasm for new planets could be promising.

On balance, though, I thought Upstairs. Downstairs was the better of the two revived TV series.

Van Rijn
2010-Dec-30, 11:22 PM
I watched part of it, but have been busy and haven't finished it yet. Though, I was amused that the command deck of the ship from Earth looked very similar to that of Star Trek Next Generation ships. And, it was later referred to as a "Galaxy class ship."

JonClarke
2010-Dec-31, 06:16 AM
We put it on the big screen at church. I thought it was the best Christmas special to date, funny, sad, and moving. The preview for next year was great. Stetson's are cool....

JonClarke
2010-Dec-31, 06:49 AM
It got almost 40% of the TV viewership and was the second most watched program that night, with an appreciation index of 83.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-31, 02:27 PM
It was the best of the Christmas specials, Glad they moved away from Earth, how much more could they do to London?
I didn't see the point of the Shark though,

Jim
2010-Dec-31, 10:53 PM
Obviously an homage to Spielberg. Or Roy Scheider.

JonClarke
2010-Dec-31, 11:01 PM
It was the best of the Christmas specials, Glad they moved away from Earth, how much more could they do to London?
I didn't see the point of the Shark though,

It was lovely piece of whimsy.

Solfe
2011-Jan-02, 03:02 AM
I dvr'ed it and just started to watch it tonight.
I love the bit about the crayon.

peter eldergill
2011-Jan-02, 05:20 AM
Just watched it tonight and I loved it.

I saw the commercials for it in Canada and I honestly thought it may have been.....sub par...but I ended up loving it. I'm glad I watched it

Pete

Solfe
2011-Jan-02, 05:23 PM
I don't usually pay attention to the music, but Katherine Jenkins' singing was amazing.

JonClarke
2011-Jan-02, 09:50 PM
I don't usually pay attention to the music, but Katherine Jenkins' singing was amazing.

She has an extraordinary voice.

jokergirl
2011-Jan-03, 07:34 AM
I liked the shark. It's silly Doctor Who at its best. The new series seems to step away from the more serious last two doctors back intot he slightly over the top silliness they had before (not that I actually watched DW then but you have to admit that it's definitely the appeal of the new writer).

On the whole, the episode was well written and executed, and often hilarious! Now I can't wait for the new season.

;)

captain swoop
2011-Jan-03, 08:35 PM

On the BBC we get a show right after the Dr Who prog over on BBC3 'Doctor Who OCnfidential' It shows the making of the show and various interviews. There was a piece on the writing of the song and it's recording. No expense spared, full orchestra, the lot.

traceur
2011-Jan-10, 07:10 PM
i enjoyed it, and so did my wife (who likes sci-fi but is not a doctor who fan)...

honestly when i first heard steven moffat is taking over doctor who i was overjoyed - the best episodes in the series, actually the ones that got me into doctor who, where written by him.i thought that every episode will be as great as blinks or the girl in the fireplace, with characters and problems done as well as they where in the empty child or silence in the library... but the season was just too... cautious. tried staying too close to the old routine.

the Christmas special brought back what moffat has to offer, and i hope he stops holding back.

Solfe
2011-Jan-11, 03:41 AM
My wife watched this one (I heard laughing from behind the laptop) and she hates almost all that sci-fi is. She liked it a lot, because she let the kids watch it. She also liked Blink which was the only time she watched without a laptop glued to her hands.

eburacum45
2011-Jan-11, 10:02 PM
I've liked Stephen Moffat's work ever since The Curse of Fatal Death, but I am disappointed in the time-travel aspect of the Christmas Carol storyline.

If the Doctor was changing history, how could Kazran be aware that his own memories were changing? This makes no sense, any more than the gradually fading photographs in the Back To The Future franchise make sense. You can only remember the things that have happened in your past - not in someone else's past.

If Moffat wants to increase the amount of time/paradox/bizarreness in Who then I'm very grateful for that- I loved the Closed Timelike Curve in The Big Bang storyline. But please - no more mingled memories...

Moose
2011-Jan-11, 11:18 PM
If the Doctor was changing history, how could Kazran be aware that his own memories were changing? This makes no sense, any more than the gradually fading photographs in the Back To The Future franchise make sense. You can only remember the things that have happened in your past - not in someone else's past.

Thing is, once the Doctor started to mess with the past (in terms of the babysitting gig) and that Kazran began remembering it, in order to have remembered it at all, he'd had to have forgotten it completely. And the Doctor just finished convincing him (via the recording) that he was deliberately tampering with Kazran's past. A human brain will rationalize the Doctor's stunning suggestion with the logically impossible memory through simple cognitive dissonance. (Humans have rationalized far more contradictory stimulus once shorted into "dummy mode".)

The rest of his life hadn't been tampered with at all by that point, at least from Kazran's perspective, and so it never happened yet.

Later in the episode, the dissonance (including their first meeting) would have been invalidated and quite swept under the rug. It all makes a loony sort of sense if you remember that each revelation was current only up to the moment in which it occurred. Each further past-adjustment altered the previous events and memories accordingly. What we (and the Doctor) saw, linearly, is not even remotely resembling what Kazran experienced by the end of the show.

Moose
2011-Jan-11, 11:22 PM
It's been over a week, and it's aired both in the UK and North America. I think it's time we can relax the spoiler-marking a bit.

Jim
2011-Jan-12, 02:39 AM
It's been over a week, and it's aired both in the UK and North America. I think it's time we can relax the spoiler-marking a bit.

Sounds like someone missed the original airing and forgot to set his DVR. Now he wants us to tell him what happened.
;)