PDA

View Full Version : Must have software for Ubuntu?

Solfe
2011-Jan-01, 09:38 PM
Hi,

My wife's Vista laptop finally "died" and I was allowed to put Ubuntu on it. Now it runs just fine. My other two Ubuntu computers have rather limited software choice because of what I do with them. One is a netbook and one is a desktop that I try out different OS's on.

I installed the general software that comes with Ubuntu 9.04, so we have Firefox, Open Office, Rhythmbox, etc.

What other software is good for this version of Ubuntu? I will update to 9.10, but might not have the hardware for 10.10.

a1call
2011-Jan-01, 10:00 PM
Virtual box from source (not ubuntu) for extended functionality.

ETA: you could put back the vista within ubuntu.

ETA-II: wine to run windows progs

swampyankee
2011-Jan-01, 10:33 PM
I was going to say wine, but was clearly beaten to it.

slang
2011-Jan-01, 11:16 PM
Ubuntu killed my (old) laptop.. now it requires some manufacturers floppy that can't be found on the net. Therefor my must-have software is said floppy.. :/ Hopefully it does better on modern machines.

a1call
2011-Jan-01, 11:17 PM
Some software worth looking into:
*- Ekiga softphone
*- KTimeTracker
*- Kalarm
*- Tomboy notes
*- Specto
*- Firestarter
*- Filezilla
*- Scite
*- Unison

And you can follow the instructions in these series to setup your own web server:

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-9.04-ispconfig-3

More useful setups are at root of those articles.

ETA: If you have rendering or animation uses check out blender and Gimp.

Tinaa
2011-Jan-02, 12:07 AM
I have Ubuntu on an old desk top. Works like a charm. Use open office.

nightmarepatrol
2011-Jan-02, 12:17 AM
Don't forget to get the gimp. I'd take gftp over filezilla. If you want to burn CD's, etc then get K3b.. Definitely get the noscript and WOT (mywot.com) plugin for firefox if you want safer surfing, There's a lot to be had, what do you want to do with the laptop?

Solfe
2011-Jan-02, 02:06 AM
I have Gimp installed now, it is very nice especially when combined with F-Spot. I also set up a last.fm account for more music enjoyment.

My wife uses the laptop for netsurfing/facebook, iTunes and photo storage. She was very impressed with the software that was "preinstalled", so I wanted to install some other things to show off the OS.

The hardware was not really good enough for Vista and she had a mind numbing list of problems. The last crash and restore was enough for me so I had her reinstall Vista from the discs. She didn't enjoy it, so she asked me to fix it at any cost... Her jaw nearly hit the floor when I pulled out a thumb drive and installed Ubuntu in less than 30 minutes.

I may give the webserver software a try on my desktop, it would be nice to serve up my own webpage. I like this Linux thing, I am normally a Mac guy.

JAXAi
2011-Jan-02, 02:30 AM
If you havent already installed Ubuntu (or dont mind re-installing) I can not stress enough just how amazing this is: http://pinguy-os.sourceforge.net/

Pinguy is a modified version of Ubuntu with everything you could possibly need. Just take a look at the site. I put a version on my wifes netbook (and she is as tech averse as they come) and she has had no problems whatsoever. Give it a try with the live disc version first as a test drive, but I promise you it is exactly what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Jaxai

a1call
2011-Jan-02, 03:53 PM
Google Chrome.

JAXAi
2011-Jan-02, 04:04 PM
Google Chrome.

Google Chrome is a web browser. What you may be referencing to Chrome OS. However I would not recommend this to anyone yet. It is designed around an "always internet connected" PC environment and is more future looking than anything, rather than a day to day modern operating system. I actually got to try out one of the Google laptops one of my friends got as an official tester (I was a bit disappointed I didn't get chosen, however this is not affecting my statements here at all).

Chrome OS is designed to "live off the cloud" with browser based services. While in the (near) future this may be a practical solution, from the OP`s post regarding what he needs I would say this is not it.

a1call
2011-Jan-02, 04:11 PM
Hi JAXAI,
I was referring to the Google chrome browser for Linux as an addition to the default firefox.

JAXAi
2011-Jan-02, 04:20 PM
Hey A1. My bad totally! Now I understand exactly what you meant and how it related to the thread. Sorry

Nice to meet you though

Solfe
2011-Jan-02, 04:30 PM
Install K3b... check. Install CD/DVD creator... check. I will look into to Chrome, its always good to have choices for web browsing.

JAXAi - ttp://pinguy-os.sourceforge.net/ I may give this a try on my machine, for fun. I was kind of hoping to eliminate as many OS's as possible, not add more... I try out OS like people change clothes. Drives my wife nuts. :)

Is there any software to emulate a mac? Say OS 9 software? All of our Windows software was not worth saving/running again.

a1call
2011-Jan-02, 04:34 PM
Likewise JAXAI. I was disappointed at the chrome OS as well. Ubuntu and it's flavours are neat but a new update every six months is a bit too much to keep up with.

John Jaksich
2011-Jan-02, 04:53 PM
IMHO--you may want to give LaTeX / Tex -- a shot in place of Open Office--the output from most printers is superior. When having to write--it tends to lend itself to the subject at hand.

I recently wrote a term paper using it---the paper came out looking very professional.

nightmarepatrol
2011-Jan-02, 04:55 PM
The chrome browser is amazingly fast. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that firefox does but it definitely runs faster. I wish the foxyproxy lookalike was better though.

There are Mac lookalike packages for many linux variants. It's best to get yourself familiarized with linux before you go down that road though. I'd tell you the same thing if you wanted to any other OS look like a mac. Learn to use what you have first, then dress it up.

Solfe
2011-Jan-02, 05:17 PM
Hum... Six month cycle. Since I am one system behind (9.10), is 10.10 something I can ignore until I can afford to buy better hardware? This machine has 1 gb of memory and two 1.5 ghz processors.

a1call
2011-Jan-02, 05:31 PM
The later upgrades only work better and install easier. I don't think you would have a problem. I run 10.10 on a cheap netbook booting off a USB drive.

Another software worth a mention is mousetrap (not the game). It is buggy on ubuntu and does not run after installation without a work around. But it might someday and then it would be revolutionary to control your PC by gestures.

JAXAi
2011-Jan-02, 05:37 PM
Install K3b... check. Install CD/DVD creator... check. I will look into to Chrome, its always good to have choices for web browsing.

JAXAi - ttp://pinguy-os.sourceforge.net/ I may give this a try on my machine, for fun. I was kind of hoping to eliminate as many OS's as possible, not add more... I try out OS like people change clothes. Drives my wife nuts. :)

Is there any software to emulate a mac? Say OS 9 software? All of our Windows software was not worth saving/running again.

Hey Solfe,

Actually pinguy IS Unbuntu. Its is just a customized version by a guy who took a look at what the average "dumb" user wants in an OS, found all the programs they could possibly need and made them part of the installer package. Its brilliant in its simplicity. Give it a whirl on the live disc, I am certain you will be blown away. If I wasn't such a heavy PC gamer I would use pinguy full time, but WINE cant handle what I like to run.

I would say that pinguy with its native dock looks and feels like a Mac OSX in a way. Did you take a look at the screen shots on the link I posted?

Ive got Windows 7 Professional (free..I was one of the people who actually hosted one of those Windows 7 release parties. Got the teeshirt, fondue set and everything. The party was actually a Halloween party with a computer off to the side running Windows. Thanks Microsoft) but Ive got it completely tricked out looking like a Mac OSX Snow Leopard with a custom skin, rocket dock and task bar eliminator.

LotusExcelle
2011-Jan-02, 06:11 PM
I've been dual booting Ubuntu and XP on the laptop I use for work. It is not exactly the most powerful machine out there and runs high settings rather well. Part of the point of Linux is its light footprint, so I wouldn't hesitate to install any Linux distro on any machine. If its still running, it can probably handle Ubuntu. My desktop recently went to Win7 and I have not switched it over to dual boot but this Pinguy distro looks rather interesting.... might have to have a closer look at that.

matt.o
2011-Jan-03, 10:05 AM
Today I installed the Pinguy OS on my wife's laptop (dual booting with Vista). So far, I am very impressed, so thanks JAXAi! I run Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop, but will definitely use Pinguy from now on.

JAXAi
2011-Jan-03, 12:54 PM
No problem matt.o

You are very welcome.

Its a great OS and Im glad you found it easy to use. Im shocked it doesn't get more press and attention. Its really the first all-in-one Linux distro I can recommend without worrying the person I recommended it to would be calling me looking for Tech Support every other day ;)

Reminds me of this meme: http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosystem/uploads/2010/12/ftg_futureproblems.jpg

kamaz
2011-Jan-03, 11:14 PM
IMHO--you may want to give LaTeX / Tex -- a shot in place of Open Office--the output from most printers is superior. When having to write--it tends to lend itself to the subject at hand.

I'd recommend you to check out LyX first -- it's a WYSIWYG editor for TeX/LaTeX: most power of LaTeX with minimum learning hassle.

I've been dual booting Ubuntu and XP on the laptop I use for work. It is not exactly the most powerful machine out there and runs high settings rather well. [...] My desktop recently went to Win7 and I have not switched it over to dual boot but this Pinguy distro looks rather interesting.... might have to have a closer look at that.

Unless you want to do heavy 3D (games) in Linux, please check out using VMWare player -- it's a free virtualization software, so you can run Windows and Linux at the same time, without the hassle of dual booting. Also, it's great for checking out different Linux versions, as you can download ready-to-run images of different Linuxes here: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/cat/508

In fact, since I have discovered this, I have given up dual booting completely. If you have enough RAM, the (small) performance hit associated with running under vmware is nothing compared to the hassle of running a dual-boot system.

Solfe
2011-Jan-06, 09:19 PM
Thank you for all of the advice. I will be trying those other two system once I fix my desktop pc. I stuck ubuntu 10.10 by accident and want to eventually get it back to Ubuntu 9.10. I figure I might as well experiment along the way.