PDA

View Full Version : Now you see it now you don't

carolyn
2004-Apr-28, 05:58 AM
apologies first

am in huge rush so have not spent time checking that this does not already exist in another thread.

first the link

http://www.anomalies.net/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=006679

hope that it works. briefly - 2 pictures of the mars surface with rock which apears to iether move or appear out of no ware, have a look see and give me your thoughts,

now late for work 8-[

2004-Apr-28, 06:46 AM
One is a fragment of http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/p/005/2P126804143EDN0200P2217R7M1.HTML, right pancam shot of rocks near the lander.

The other is a fragment of a large mosaic, made of many individual pictures, cut, twisted, warped, and pasted to make a large image, http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA05102

Why should we expect them to be exactly the same?

Yawn.

ToSeek
2004-Apr-28, 01:05 PM
Looks to me as if there's a seam in the middle of the color picture (where two photos were stuck together) that obliterates some of the detail. That's why the rock right in the center foreground looks to be missing its left half in the color image.

carolyn
2004-Apr-28, 06:05 PM
Looks to me as if there's a seam in the middle of the color picture (where two photos were stuck together) that obliterates some of the detail. That's why the rock right in the center foreground looks to be missing its left half in the color image.

ahh, see never do anything in a rush, will have a nother look later on, propably the weekend now. stuck together ehh, don't you just love that kent steadman :D :wink:

ToSeek
2004-Apr-28, 06:55 PM

ahh, see never do anything in a rush, will have a nother look later on, propably the weekend now. stuck together ehh, don't you just love that kent steadman :D :wink:

Well, if you're trying to create a nice panorama, it's hard to get everything lined up. Usually what's close in is sacrificed for what's closer to the horizon, which looks like what might have happened here.

2004-Apr-28, 07:31 PM

Yep. It's funny that the 5 circled "anomalies" in the non-mosaic picture, all happen to lay on a straight line, and the 6th "anomaly", of distance between two rocks, crosses that line. Gee, I wonder why.

Sometimes I wish all the released NASA photos were overlayed with a neutral-density message, that in extremely tiny print says, "If you can read this you may be making a mountain out of a molehill," -- sort of like the line curving around the portrait of Jackson on the series 2001 US 20-dollar bill that when magnified says "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" several times. Nah... then every released image would have to be a big high-resolution in order to maintain that text.