PDA

View Full Version : Passport to Knowledge: Mars "New Views"

pumpkinpie
2004-Apr-28, 08:55 PM
This weekend, as an Informal Science Educator, I get to participate in the "Space Weekend" at the St. Louis Science Center, which has as a highlight the taping of the New Views TV special, hosted by Bill Nye. http://passporttoknowledge.com/mars/newviews.html
Also included are lectures, workshops, and chances for one-on-one interactions with Mars Rover scientists. I am very excited about this "Opportunity," and I wanted to extend the invitation to all of you to think of some burning questions you might want answered. Here are the participating scientists:

ERIC DE JONG, lead for JPL’s Solar System Visualization Team: it’s his group which turns the science data into the stunning images – black and white, color and 3-D – seen on TV, online and in the press.
ORLANDO FIGUEROA, NASA’s Director of Solar System Exploration, and head of the Mars Program during the development of the rovers
MATT GOLOMBEK, a leading member of the science team, and co-chair of the team that selected the landing sites which have delivered the landmark discoveries
RANDEL LINDEMANN, a graduate of Washington University in St. Louis, and lead mechanical engineer for the rovers: Randy was instrumental in the years of testing that led to the rovers’ successful and ongoing travels across the Red Planet
DAVE LAVERY, program executive for Solar System Exploration at NASA HQ, and responsible for the development of robotic vehicles designed for extreme environments here on Earth, and beyond our planet, &
ZOE LEARNER, one of the youngest and most enthusiastic participants in the hard-working 150+ person science team, though still a graduate student at Cornell
SHONTE WRIGHT, one of the NASA/JPL thermal engineers who developed the heaters and blankets that keep the rovers warm and working on Mars.

I'm not sure exactly how much direct interaction I will have with them, and with whom specifically, but I will try to work in as many questions as I can!

I can't guarantee that I'll be able to check the BABB past 5 p.m. EDT Thursday, so please try to have your questions in before then.

I'll be back next week with a full report!