PDA

View Full Version : Weird Markings on Rock

foxd
2004-Apr-29, 04:34 PM
I was looking at one of the rover images and was puzzled by how many of the markings on this rock seemed to come in pairs and how consistent they are in shape. Any ideas what causes this? Could it be caused by water seepage?

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/m/085/1M135737791EFF1400P2956M2M1.JPG

jawajedi
2004-Apr-29, 06:39 PM
Little itty bitty, tiny weenie, martian deer made those tracks...

I really dont see alot of pairing per say, just differences in the rock/soil... no look of non-natural markings

Squink
2004-Apr-29, 11:34 PM
Looks like wind erosion, not water. Look at how sharp the angle is on the back side of those spheres! A few more years of sandblasting, and they could become stalked spheres.

foxd
2004-Apr-30, 09:43 PM
Looks like wind erosion, not water. Look at how sharp the angle is on the back side of those spheres! A few more years of sandblasting, and they could become stalked spheres.

Ah! Wind erosion around a sphere and then the sphere finally breaks off and rolls away. End result, two close together marks!

jest
2004-May-01, 11:59 AM

Ah! Wind erosion around a sphere and then the sphere finally breaks off and rolls away. End result, two close together marks!

That's what I was thinking too. Older "berries" that were embedded deeper in the rock, eventaully eroded away leaving those markings.