PDA

View Full Version : BCS Championship Game

Parrothead
2011-Jan-08, 04:39 PM
I'll be watching it on Monday night, on TSN here in Canada.

Auburn vs. Oregon, War Eagle!

I hope Auburn wins the US college football championship.

ngc3314
2011-Jan-08, 05:08 PM
As you might imagine, Crimson Tide fans are conflicted, but most of them seem to be willing to reluctantly root for Auburn to sort of keep it within the SEC. At least mentally - don't ask them to actually say those two words.

Fazor
2011-Jan-08, 11:08 PM
I don't really have plans to even watch it. My team finished, controversy aside, with a win. I'm done until next year.

Meurig
2011-Jan-09, 12:43 AM
I don't really have plans to even watch it. My team finished, controversy aside, with a win. I'm done until next year.

We can still hope for the worst for the SEC, right?

As far as the Buckeyes are concerned, something tells me the Tatt Five Controversy is far from settled; and I can feel the flapping of a broader investigation in the wings.

Anyway, Go Bux!

Jim
2011-Jan-09, 01:28 AM

Hey, Fazor, how do you like those billboards?

I'll watch at least some and root for the Ducks.

Fazor
2011-Jan-09, 03:25 AM
Hey, Fazor, how do you like those billboards?

I'll watch at least some and root for the Ducks.

Wisconsin lost to TCU--OSU didn't. So let them brag all they want. I stand behind Orvil Red--err, Gordon Gee. I just wish they'd allow grunge-matches, so we could play TCU and settle it. :)
(Really, I don't care. I think they're funny. And TCU won, so they earned it. It's like I told my brother, if/when people talk trash about OSU and we win, we OSU fans do the same thing. It's all part of the fun of sports.)

Trebuchet
2011-Jan-09, 05:34 AM
Wisconsin lost to TCU--OSU didn't. So let them brag all they want. I stand behind Orvil Red--err, Gordon Gee. I just wish they'd allow grunge-matches, so we could play TCU and settle it. :)
(Really, I don't care. I think they're funny. And TCU won, so they earned it. It's like I told my brother, if/when people talk trash about OSU and we win, we OSU fans do the same thing. It's all part of the fun of sports.)

Of course, the Oregon fans would immediately leap to thoughts of a different "OSU" than the one I suspect you are referring to.

It can get confusing. I attended MSU. But the colors were basically those of the University of Michigan!

Fazor
2011-Jan-09, 12:48 PM
Tara's cousin also attends OSU; Oklahoma State University. I guess I should say it like they do on tv; THE Ohio State University. As opposed to the Ohio State that doesn't have an over-stressed "the" in front of it. ;)

DonM435
2011-Jan-10, 02:01 PM
I remember when I was at South Carolina (USC) long ago, they upset Southern Cal (USC) one night at home. The scoreboard operator changed the usual "CAROLINA" to read "THE USC".

Jim
2011-Jan-11, 03:01 AM
Some years back, the regents for the University of Texas system decided to rename all of their campuses to the University of Texas at ... Arlington*, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso ... you get it. The main campus would become the University of Texas at Austin. Students there didn't like that idea and started calling it THE University of Texas, as opposed to all the "ats." It still gets called The UT, but I think most folks have forgotten why.

* Interesting trivia... to me at least... is that Arlington State College was once part of the Texas A&M system. A&M wanted to rename all their campuses to "A&M at." Students at ASC were proud of their college, a four year and graduate program school with a national rep. They suggested renaming it Arlington State University. They also suggested Arlington State University at College Station. There was enough of a fuss that A&M agreed to transfer ASC to the UT system.

And a couple of years later it became UT-Arlington with minimal fuss.

DonM435
2011-Jan-11, 02:03 PM
When Clemson beat South Carolina, they would trot out signs that read "Clemson is THE university of South Carolina."

(I have corrected the spelling for you.)
;)

Fazor
2011-Jan-11, 02:12 PM
As for last night's game; I didn't see much of it. A possession or so in the third, then about the last half of the last quarter. Good ending; that's what you want in a big game like that. I strongly disagree with the call and review/confirmation that the Auburn runner's knee never touched on that play in the last drive, allowing a huge chunk of yards on the run afterward. His knee didn't touch. And 'Herbie', who I usually agree with, said "only his palm was down", but it sure looked like a good bit of his forearm was down as well, which makes it a tackle. But it's hard to complain too much; the way they were playing on the final drive, they looked determined to score either way. Valiant effort by Oregon, but congrats to Auburn.

Jim
2011-Jan-11, 05:12 PM
I was disappointed that Oregon didn't win, but they had their chances.

And I was disappointed by the way the officiating crew failed to handle two serious, blatant fouls by Auburn players. Both players were called for unnecessary roughness yet both were allowed to stay in the game.

In the first case, the Auburn player deliberately and intentionally kneed an Oregon player in the head (cutting him and drawing blood, but that's secondary) while the player was on the ground and after play had obviously ended. In the second, again after play had obviously ended, the Auburn player reached out, grabbed the Oregon player's face mask, and deliberately and intentionally jerked his head.

Neither incident was in the course of normal play. Both were obvious thoughtful actions intended to hurt the opponents, and both Auburn players should have been DQed.

Jim
2011-Jan-11, 05:14 PM
Oh, one other comment... Oh man, I hate Musberger!

Fazor
2011-Jan-11, 09:41 PM

So it's not just us THE Ohio State fans? Good! (I'd use the word 'loath', personally.) I have to give Herbie credit for being able to work with him and not punch him in the face. Though I swear there has been more than a few times when I thought he was going to.

redshifter
2011-Jan-11, 11:04 PM

Me too; his incessant blathering gets tiresome during games.

Great game though; Oregon finally met a D-line that it couldn't handle or scheme its way around.

Trebuchet
2011-Jan-11, 11:42 PM

I fourth that. Can't stand the guy.

Many years ago, when Seattle had a professional basketball team that was actually good, most of the fans around here were were pretty unhappy with the blatant favoritism shown by CBS in general and Musberger in particular, just because the Sonics had the gall not to be from LA, or some other major market where they could get better ratings. I was quite amused when they managed to show on camera a sign brought by a fan reading "Get Bent, Brent".

redshifter
2011-Jan-12, 08:19 AM
I fourth that. Can't stand the guy.

Many years ago, when Seattle had a professional basketball team that was actually good, most of the fans around here were were pretty unhappy with the blatant favoritism shown by CBS in general and Musberger in particular, just because the Sonics had the gall not to be from LA, or some other major market where they could get better ratings. I was quite amused when they managed to show on camera a sign brought by a fan reading "Get Bent, Brent".

Ah, I remember those days!

I have to give a shout out to my Washington Huskies, who totally owned Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl! This after getting blown out in Husky stadium vs. Nebraska a few months ago.

Trebuchet
2011-Jan-12, 05:07 PM
Ah, I remember those days!

I have to give a shout out to my Washington Huskies, who totally owned Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl! This after getting blown out in Husky stadium vs. Nebraska a few months ago.

Was that the 1971 "Game of the Century"? I was in the military for that one, in Korea, and we all got up at a very early hour to watch it on the company TV. Lots of orange juice consumed. Most of it containing more than a little vodka.

Click Ticker
2011-Jan-12, 06:18 PM
It'll be interesting when the NCAA suddently "finds confirmation of the accusations" against Cam Newton's father, now that they've sold their tickets, advertizing, and got their ratings.

"Now that the checks have all cleared the bank, we're vacating the National Championship and revoking the Heisman." Amazing how the evidence will clear up now that everyone got paid. It may not happen in the next week or two, but give it a couple years.