PDA

View Full Version : Remember the guy that could "talk" via facilitated communication?

Click Ticker
2011-Jan-12, 03:30 PM
Here's a story showing the dangers of believing such junk science. Man nearly sent to prison for life, his kids in foster care for a year - on the basis of facilitated communication.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110112/NEWS03/101120405/1319/Family-to-get-1.8-million-in-dads-jailing-teens-false-sex-assault-interrogation

From the case:

The case dissolved in front of a judge when the girl couldn't communicate answers to even simple questions, such as the color of her sweater. The aide helped the girl type in court, but hadn't heard the judge's questions. The girl's responses were mostly gibberish.

Not sure how an arrest ever even got made with such flimsy evidence.

NEOWatcher
2011-Jan-12, 03:57 PM
Not sure how an arrest ever even got made with such flimsy evidence.
I agree. It was just an accusation by the aide. A good starting point for an investigation, but not an arrest.

Then there was this

Oakland County prosecutors said in depositions that they did not investigate the facilitated communication method before charging the Wendrows, and could not find anyone to testify that the method is reliable, despite nationwide calls after the arrests.
Not finding anyone to testify the method was reliable should have been a good clue that it isn't.
Especially if the aide herself wouldn't.

korjik
2011-Jan-12, 05:47 PM
Holy Heck!

can you believe this nonsense?!?

Hampton also said the department would investigate the case the same way again, including the interrogation of the boy and the jailing of the father.
"We'll assess everything, but really, right off-hand, I can't think of anything they would do differently because we really don't think they did anything wrong," he said.

This is the part that gets me. Anyone who thinks that this wasnt wrong should be fired, and if a lawyer, disbarred. This want a miscarrage of justice, this was a go back in time and shoot the grandparents of justice.

Click Ticker
2011-Jan-12, 05:59 PM
Holy Heck!

can you believe this nonsense?!?

This is the part that gets me. Anyone who thinks that this wasnt wrong should be fired, and if a lawyer, disbarred. This want a miscarrage of justice, this was a go back in time and shoot the grandparents of justice.

There seems to be certain professions where it is a bigger crime to admit being wrong than to actually be wrong. Can't show any weakness, don't want to expose ourselves to further liability, etc.

If you want to see a further travesty of justice, click on the links for the video of the interrogation of the 13 year old brother. The officer lies about made up evidence claiming that they have certain things on video that don't exist and twists the poor kid into at least conceding the possibility of a crime.

rommel543
2011-Jan-12, 07:55 PM
He's not just 13, but also suffers from asperger's as well. He's traumatized, his parents have been taken away, he's in a strange place with people he doesn't know and has police (who are suppose to be nice and protect people) telling him bad things about himself and his father. I have a friend that works with kids with autism and asperger's. They need calm, quiet environments with a routine structure. Meeting or adding new people to the group is difficult but can be done over time. What the police did to that 13 year old was a systematic torture and mental abuse. After enough time he would confess to anything they told him to.

Fazor
2011-Jan-12, 09:40 PM
Hrmph. That's about all I can say. Though I'd never really heard of 'facilitated communication', least not in this capacity. I'll have to look into it, with some vague hope of finding something that makes this slightly less ridiculous than a court accepting eyewitness testimony from a dog via pet psychic. (Hrmph again!)

Swift
2011-Jan-13, 03:42 AM
Folks, please be careful. This thread is approaching several limits that we do not want to cross. First, have care with discussions about any country's judicial system, as that is getting very close to politics. Second, please be very careful about discussing anything about child abuse. There are children that read this forum, and if I am getting a little unnerved, their reaction may be worse.

It is very close to not only being closed, but being removed from public viewing.

Swift
2011-Jan-14, 02:51 AM
After discussion among the moderation team, we have decided to restore this thread, but with the two questionable posts deleted.

The topic of this thread is a discussion of the dangers of pseudo-science. Let's stick to that. Please keep political comments out, and please post no content that may be inappropriate for children. If this is not followed, further actions will be taken.

Lord Jubjub
2011-Jan-14, 09:12 PM
Hrmph. That's about all I can say. Though I'd never really heard of 'facilitated communication', least not in this capacity. I'll have to look into it, with some vague hope of finding something that makes this slightly less ridiculous than a court accepting eyewitness testimony from a dog via pet psychic. (Hrmph again!)

From what I have heard of FC, you have pretty much described it.