PDA

View Full Version : Who has looked at the Moon in board dayl light?

Inclusa
2011-Jan-13, 04:33 AM
I certainly have, but get used to it now; after all, the Chinese character for "bright" is the Sun and Moon together.

Jens
2011-Jan-13, 04:56 AM
I've certainly looked at it during the daytime. But still, I tend to associate it with night, and I'm sure most people do. It's just so much more visible at night.

astromark
2011-Jan-13, 06:33 AM
The term is 'Broad daylight. ' and actually the moon rotates about the Earth in a manner that is both predictable and constant... It does actually spend as much time in your daytime sky as in your night time sky... Its just that its very hard to see when it nears the direction of the sun.... Yes we see it better at night.

and 'Murongningji' Its not my usual method to correct spelling... mine is often unreadable... as you say 'People' do not bother to look up.
Testament to this a work friend once informed me it must be the end of times as the Moon is in the sky. It was 9 am.... sigh...

Glom
2011-Jan-13, 06:48 PM
I certainly have. The Genesis is definitely bogus on the Moon being the lesser light at night.
Than again, there are so many ignorant people who don't even notice the Moon at day.

The Moon is awesome by day. You can clearly admire is specky landscape without it trying to blind you. Of course, you need dusk to get a good Earthshine.

It is true that many people don't notice the Moon by day. A few years ago, my Dad noticed it apparently for the first time in his many decades and commented to me with surprise. :roll:

Hernalt
2011-Jan-13, 09:58 PM
In Tucson the moon is a constant doorstep with we the foyer, in best display when a half-disk in morning or afternoon daylight and as high as can be in the sky. The sensation or sentiment is not unlike the Thomas Kinkadean ephemeral luminary balance of a warmly lit house in gloaming.

It also doesn't hurt to telescope/binocular it on the horizon as a fingernail sliver at dusk and watch Tucson airport traffic fly across its red earth-backlit face. Sensations of otherworldliness and the possibility of mistaking for a moment that you stand in the shoes of starfaring descendants are easier when catching the moon unawares.

Now if only we could integrate Andromeda's true angular width with our retinas.

JonClarke
2011-Jan-15, 01:50 AM
I certainly have. The Genesis is definitely bogus on the Moon being the lesser light at night.
Than again, there are so many ignorant people who don't even notice the Moon at day.

Yes, so have I. And your point is?

In what way is the Moon not the "lesser light", compared to the sun, that dominates the night sky?

Inclusa
2011-Jan-15, 04:31 AM
The main issue is that the Moon DOES NOT emit light; it reflects light, very much like a mirror. (Mirror is a good way to get extra lighting out of light sources, though.)

JonClarke
2011-Jan-15, 05:28 AM
The main issue is that the Moon DOES NOT emit light; it reflects light, very much like a mirror. (Mirror is a good way to get extra lighting out of light sources, though.)

Yes, and?

Inclusa
2011-Jan-15, 06:37 AM
It does not emit its own light; that's the matter.

JonClarke
2011-Jan-15, 06:50 AM
Yes, we know this, and?

Hornblower
2011-Jan-15, 01:18 PM
It does not emit its own light; that's the matter.

We all know that. What does that have to do with the opinion you expressed in the opening post? Anyone can see that the Moon is less brilliant than the Sun, as seen from here on Planet Earth. Whether the Moon is a reflector or a lesser emitter is beside the point.

Jeff Root
2011-Jan-15, 11:10 PM
I, too, am surprised that the fact that the Moon does not emit
its own light is the reason for the original poster's claim of the
description being "bogus". That is a totally bogus reason!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Glom
2011-Jan-15, 11:48 PM
Goooood moooorning, Intrepid!

It's sunrise over Oceanus Procellarum and the Moon looks so fine through binoculars. But it suddenly looks really, really small when not using binoculars.

Jens
2011-Jan-17, 05:32 AM
I think the OP was just making a comment about being surprised that people don't seem to notice the moon during the day. But the OP has gone and changed the first post, so the whole thread seems strange now. . .

Sticks
2011-Jan-17, 09:30 AM
murongningji Revisionism is unacceptable on this board and will not be tollerated. In your time out you would do well to re-read the rules. Any further instances and you will receive more infraction points and a longer suspension - let this be a warning. Also, looking at the quoted bits from your original posting, you appeared to be treading on the boundary of the no religion rule and should also look at those rules as well.