PDA

View Full Version : Magazine decision

Bean Counter
2011-Jan-13, 06:02 PM
Good-day! My son's school is having a magazine subscription drive as a fund raiser. They have two astronomy magazines, "Astronomy" and "Sky and Telescope". Since my son is in kindergarten, this could be an excellent opportunity to introduce him to the stars. I have not read either so I am looking for some practical reviews.

Which would you pick?

Thanks,
BC

Fazor
2011-Jan-13, 06:25 PM
My Father's had a subscription to both, and he preferred "Astronomy", but I can't remember the rational behind that.

Moose
2011-Jan-13, 06:31 PM
Both have nice astrophotography and diagrams, although some months can be a little generic for a kindergardener. The special editions (once a year) tend to be pretty spiffy. I'd probably go with Astronomy for a younger reader just because the presentation is a bit more graphically oriented and they allow themselves to be a little more speculative in the name of promoting dreams. I think I remember S&T's writing being a hair more accessible to pre-teens, though.

/ Going entirely on memory. I don't know if they've changed any.

Bean Counter
2011-Jan-14, 08:36 PM
Thank you both for the recommendations! I went with a subscription to "Astronomy".

I must confess the subscription is more for me. I'm out at night a lot during the summer. I look up and wish I knew what that bright dot was, a planet or a star, and what its' name was.

Fazor
2011-Jan-14, 09:43 PM
If you have a laptop, Solarium is a great tool. Even if you don't, you can load it on your home PC and reference it when you come back inside. The best part is, it's free.

SeanF
2011-Jan-14, 10:31 PM
If you have a laptop, Solarium is a great tool.
If you have a smartphone, Google Sky Map is a great little app, too. Point it at the sky and it'll tell you what you're pointing at - conversely, give it an object like "Jupiter" and it'll direct you to it. Uses the phone's clock, GPS, accelerometer, and compass to do so.

Fazor
2011-Jan-14, 10:48 PM
Skymap doesn't work so well for me on my T-Mobile MyTouch-Slide. My brother's HTC (I think) doesn't sync up well either with it.