PDA

View Full Version : Star Gate Universe cancelled- YAY!!!!

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Jan-17, 03:22 PM
Never could warm up to that turkey. Tried too hard to be a bunch of things....Voyager, BSG, etc....characters flat....proves again that science fiction tv lacks original ideas/writers/producers....yadda, yadda, yadda....ever since the BSG rebooted series ended....I just find it hard to be interested in current science fiction television. I see they're talking about a new Trek series....yawn....

Banquo out

NEOWatcher
2011-Jan-17, 04:10 PM
Star Gate Universe cancelled- YAY!!!!
Was someone forcing you to watch it?

...proves again that science fiction tv lacks original ideas/writers/producers....yadda, yadda, yadda....
The same can be said for many genres. It's all a matter of opinion and personal interest.

I see they're talking about a new Trek series....yawn....
They who? Is this a rumor mill, or is there some meat behind this statement. Perhaps you can point is in some informational direction.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Jan-17, 04:49 PM
Was someone forcing you to watch it?

The same can be said for many genres. It's all a matter of opinion and personal interest.

They who? Is this a rumor mill, or is there some meat behind this statement. Perhaps you can point is in some informational direction.

I get the feeling you don't like me. Fine the feeling is mutual. Am I not entitled to opinions? The info. about a new Trek show came from Trekmovie.com....I don't make this stuff up just so you can get all puffy over it.....tired of you....maybe you could be the quality contol officer of my posts....tough if you don't like my opinion/thoughts on things....this isn't the first time you've attacked my posts....I don't mind that so much....but the repeated and somewhat vehement nature gets a little much...

Amber Robot
2011-Jan-17, 06:21 PM
Never could warm up to that turkey. Tried too hard to be a bunch of things....Voyager, BSG, etc....characters flat....proves again that science fiction tv lacks original ideas/writers/producers....yadda, yadda, yadda....ever since the BSG rebooted series ended..

Even *before* the BSG series ended...

Glom
2011-Jan-17, 07:06 PM
Was never that engaged with it despite being a big fan of SG1 in its day and enjoying Atlantis as well. The biggest problem with SGU was that it was too self conscious in its attempts to play on the cinema verite fad that was started with BSG. The problems with that were:
1) The people doing it weren't nearly as good as the people on BSG. They were the same people who had been doing the previous two series, which were much lighter and more irreverent in tone overall.
2) If we want dark and moody, we'll watch BSG. Stargate should play on what we like it for.

NEOWatcher
2011-Jan-17, 07:19 PM
I get the feeling you don't like me. Fine the feeling is mutual. Am I not entitled to opinions?
I never said that, nor meant to imply that.

The info. about a new Trek show came from Trekmovie.com.
Thank you, That's all I was asking for. I never heard it, and didn't know where you got the information from which is why I asked.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Jan-17, 07:31 PM
you're welcome

Trakar
2011-Jan-17, 08:35 PM
Was never that engaged with it despite being a big fan of SG1 in its day and enjoying Atlantis as well. The biggest problem with SGU was that it was too self conscious in its attempts to play on the cinema verite fad that was started with BSG. The problems with that were:
1) The people doing it weren't nearly as good as the people on BSG. They were the same people who had been doing the previous two series, which were much lighter and more irreverent in tone overall.
2) If we want dark and moody, we'll watch BSG. Stargate should play on what we like it for.

The main problem I had with SGU were the constant interruptions, moving of the scheduled show dates, and seemingly no committment to producing a coherent, regular series with layered plotlines and involving development. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the concept and potential, it just seems like the new "SYFY" network did everything in their power to make sure chase off any potential fans,...rather like they handled Caprica as well.

Jim
2011-Jan-17, 08:41 PM
I get the feeling you don't like me. (snip) (and snip some more)

This little rant seems unwarranted, b_b_p. NEOWatcher doesn't seem to be attacking you at all. But, if you think he is, report the post, don't rant in-thread.

Glom
2011-Jan-17, 08:55 PM
The main problem I had with SGU were the constant interruptions, moving of the scheduled show dates, and seemingly no committment to producing a coherent, regular series with layered plotlines and involving development. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the concept and potential, it just seems like the new "SYFY" network did everything in their power to make sure chase off any potential fans,...rather like they handled Caprica as well.

I don't think SyFy mean to do it. It's just that because they can't spell, their staff get confusing orders and the airings gets all screwed up.

kamaz
2011-Jan-17, 10:28 PM
ever since the BSG rebooted series ended....

The rebooted BSG ran out of fuel at the end of the first season. The second season it was running on vapors, the third was on inertia and the fourth was stalling. The graph of Nielsen ratings is fascinating -- it's a textbook example of exponential decay (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Nielsen_ratings_(TRS)). (No, there's no uptick for season 4.5, it's a measurement artifact. Read the text next to the graph).

That seems to be a general pattern for a sci-fi franchise nowadays.

Tobin Dax
2011-Jan-18, 12:28 AM
....proves again that science fiction tv lacks original ideas/writers/producers....

These were the same old writers/producers on SGU, so I'm not sure if that statement in was proved again in general by this.

Van Rijn
2011-Jan-18, 03:27 AM
I stopped watching SGU for awhile, specifically because of the BSG reboot inspired elements. That is, soap opera stories, and trying to make the viewer hate the characters. But, I did try watching it again this season, and it seemed to me that they were giving some of the characters some redeeming qualities, and some of the stories were interesting. I will miss it. Compare that to Caprica - I also tried watching that again, but gave up after one episode because there wasn't a single likable character, and I couldn't care less what happened to them.

JonClarke
2011-Jan-18, 10:53 AM
...proves again that science fiction tv lacks original ideas/writers/producers...

Dr Who continues to go from strength to strength. No shortage of original ideas/writers/producers there. So it is not a universal problem.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Jan-18, 11:47 AM
apologies to NEOWatcher and all...Jim as well...

adamskiiix
2011-Jan-18, 09:10 PM
Even *before* the BSG series ended...

i disagree. reimagined bsg was genius. nothing else is even remotely close:clap:

Solfe
2011-Jan-18, 09:25 PM
I always considered SGU to be hovering on the edge of potential. There was some good stuff that was never explored all the way. It was nice in concept.

Jim
2011-Jan-18, 10:13 PM
Well, I liked SGU, at least a bit. There were some likeable characters, and I'd like to see how some of the subplots played out.

Syfy seems dedicated to showing either ghosts or wrestlers. I'm waiting for the crossover show.

(In the network's defense - and I'll not make a habit of it - they did air a Joan of Arcadia marathon today.)

Rhaedas
2011-Jan-18, 11:33 PM
SGU started out holding my interest very well...first couple of episodes at least. I guess what killed it for me was that unlike the other SG series, the characters weren't a team...you weren't sure who to trust, what would be the next revealing flaw. You want some of that I suppose, but it became too soap opera for me...and I just didn't care anymore. Other shows have had traitors and conflicts, but it just seemed in SGU everyone had a problem, which is realistic, but it took away from any plot lines for me.

Also, the whole thing about being able to communicate with Earth and visit was just too plot device contrived for me. And yes, I know that was pulled from the original SG...but they didn't have to rely on it. I would have preferred to have the crew deal with permanent separation, with maybe a brief contact via a stargate working every once in a while, but not well enough to save them.

I'll admit I haven't gone back to watch any of the newer episodes. It just doesn't have the appeal that the other two SGs did.

I did love the idea and the ship itself.

Ara Pacis
2011-Jan-19, 07:37 AM
I like it... or rather, I liked the idea of it, but it started to lose any sense of overall story arc but I kept hoping. A lot of sci-fi nowadays try to act like they have an overall story they want to tell. This trend started in the US with Babylon 5, although some BBC series had done it before. With B5, you found out in the first episode how the series would end. With SGU, it wasn't until late in this last season that they even figured out what the point of the ship was. I mean, it's like it's supposed to be a reality show set in space.

But BBP is right, there's not much original on TV these days. Indeed, there wasn't much original playing at the Globe Theatre in Shakespeare's day either. It all pretty much revolves around boy meets girl. I started writing a storyline for a science fiction series in 2004 based on dreams and short stories I've written since the mid-80s. It's all but abandoned because in the ensuing years much of the plot has been done by SG1, SGA, SGU, re-BSG and Andromeda (and has structural similarities to The Original Star Trek and B5), except this story would have almost realistic science. The only redeeming quality is that my idea is different, despite seeming to be very similar on many levels. Maybe one day I'll finish it if I think I can do it better than others.

JonClarke
2011-Jan-19, 09:55 AM
Campbell said there was only one type of hero (he ignored heroines).

Booker said there were only seven basic stories (Tragedy, Comedy, Overcoming the Monster, Voyage and Return, Quest, Rags to Riches, and Rebirth). Of course good stories involve several of these.

Glom
2011-Jan-19, 01:40 PM
SGU started out holding my interest very well...first couple of episodes at least. I guess what killed it for me was that unlike the other SG series, the characters weren't a team...you weren't sure who to trust, what would be the next revealing flaw. You want some of that I suppose, but it became too soap opera for me...and I just didn't care anymore. Other shows have had traitors and conflicts, but it just seemed in SGU everyone had a problem, which is realistic, but it took away from any plot lines for me.

Also, the whole thing about being able to communicate with Earth and visit was just too plot device contrived for me. And yes, I know that was pulled from the original SG...but they didn't have to rely on it. I would have preferred to have the crew deal with permanent separation, with maybe a brief contact via a stargate working every once in a while, but not well enough to save them.

I'll admit I haven't gone back to watch any of the newer episodes. It just doesn't have the appeal that the other two SGs did.

I did love the idea and the ship itself.

Aka, too much like they were mimicking the tone of BSG.

It's like when Brannon Braga was refused permission to do a season long arc about the Year of Hell like 24 so instead he gave us inklings of 24 in 'A Night in Sickbay'.

kamaz
2011-Jan-22, 01:31 PM
i disagree. reimagined bsg was genius. nothing else is even remotely close:clap:

I disagree. I have watched some B5 episodes for the first time ever last year -- and I must say it's good. But re-BSG is so firmly rooted in today's world that I doubt it will be any good 15 years from now.

kamaz
2011-Jan-22, 01:36 PM
Aka, too much like they were mimicking the tone of BSG.

That doesn't sound promising. Sure, BSG was a pretty good show, but if it is going to shape the direction TV SF takes in the future, then the future of the genre is very bleak.

The guy who is currently considered to be a top SF writer in Poland (Jacek Dukaj) has once commented that film/TV SF is about 50 years behind the written SF. And it seems he's being proven right over and over.

Glom
2011-Jan-22, 03:41 PM
That doesn't sound promising. Sure, BSG was a pretty good show, but if it is going to shape the direction TV SF takes in the future, then the future of the genre is very bleak.

I agree. The style worked with BSG because of its premise. Bleak is somewhat compatible with the end-of-the-world. And BSG was essentially a retelling of the Aenead in any event. With a different show, a different style is needed.

John Jaksich
2011-Jan-23, 01:05 AM
SGU---to me, was much too dark for entertainment-----I didn't think that it would last 2 seasons.

Doodler
2011-Jan-25, 01:44 PM
I disagree. I have watched some B5 episodes for the first time ever last year -- and I must say it's good. But re-BSG is so firmly rooted in today's world that I doubt it will be any good 15 years from now.

Babylon 5 will go down in history as the most underappreciated, yet most brutally copy-pasted, science fiction series of all time. If it weren't for Paramount cribnoting just about everything from the first through fourth seasons, Deep Space 9 would have died a Voyageresque death.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jan-28, 10:14 PM
Babylon 5 will go down in history as the most underappreciated, yet most brutally copy-pasted, science fiction series of all time.

Hmm...

My wife and I got into B5 almost obsessively. One Bank Holiday we spent the entire day watching 10 and a bit episodes, stopping only for toilet breaks and to grab some food and drink to consume whilst watching. We'd previously got through I, Claudius in a similar burst of obsessive enthusiasm, and we loved the shameless stealing from that superior series.

Yet now we can barely remember anything about it. There were Shadow ships which looked like big black hands. There were all those ships which "came straight out of hell" which were "sent straight to hell". There was an episode scripted by Neil Gaiman which I recall as being pretty poor. There was the embarrassing line, "Get the hell out of my galaxy!" which inexplicably got quoted a lot. There was that shockingly dreadful episode called "The View from the Galley" or "Gallery" - I can't remember which - about which JMS liked to boast he'd written in a very short time, as if we were supposed to think, "Wow, how could he have written a script of such high quality in such a short time?" whereas we actually thought, "I'm not surprised it was so bad if he spent so little care on it!"

Seriously, though, at its best, B5 was the very best of non-book non-radio SF of all time. But in retrospect it wasn't often at its best.

In short, if the series had been cancelled at the end

Jim
2011-Jan-29, 12:48 AM
In short, if the series had been cancelled at the end

Boy, when you say "in short" you mean it!

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jan-29, 08:22 AM
Boy, when you say "in short" you mean it!

Good grief, you're right.

I'd like to pretend I was doing something terribly clever and postmodern, but no, I think I just forgot what I was doing and went ahead and posted.

I wonder what I was going to say next?

Doodler
2011-Jan-29, 09:52 PM
Seriously, though, at its best, B5 was the very best of non-book non-radio SF of all time. But in retrospect it wasn't often at its best.

I agree, but in defense of JMS, I can say this: Nobody bats a thousand, but he was definitely putting up hall of fame numbers.