PDA

View Full Version : NASA Says it Cannot Produce Heavy-Lift Rocket on Time, Budget

Fraser
2011-Jan-17, 04:50 PM
NASA has sent Congress a report stating that it cannot meet the requirements that it produce a heavy-lift rocket by the current 2016 deadline or under the current allocated budget. In the NASA Authorization Act of 2010, NASA was directed to develop a heavy-lift rocket in preparation to flights to an asteroid and possibly [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/82535/nasa-says-it-cannot-produce-heavy-lift-rocket-on-time-budget/)

forrest noble
2011-Jan-17, 08:02 PM
Interesting. NASA might be vying for a larger budget. I think we should do more cooperative things with other countries, concerning this and other aspirations. The Russians seem more willing than we for cooperative ventures, and their labor costs are much less. There have been a lot of good cooperative past space ventures and I think we should seek out as many new ones as economically possible in this time of many budget restraints. I guess we will have to wait til about 2020 for our heavy lift vehicle. That's a long time to wait for us spaceheads.

marsbug
2011-Jan-17, 09:28 PM
Consensus seems to be that the HLV is a metal skinned pork sausage, and I hear that there are NASA wokers turning up to work wearing T-shirts with the slogan 'what would Elon do?' on the front. Perhaps decisions on what rockets to build should be left to folks that are interested in furthering space exploration, rather than those worried about getting re-elected if their state doesn't get a government contract?

Not that I don't feel for those who would loose their jobs, but I really believe space exploration is too important to be left to twist in the political winds the way it is.