PDA

View Full Version : Q

Lord Jubjub
2011-Jan-19, 02:38 AM
At what point did the Star Trek writers understand they were no longer writing an evil character?

I write this as I am viewing "True Q". They seemed to want to make Q a villain but they never could.

I'm just wandering why they made the Star Trek characters relating to Q so clueless. (Yeah, I know this has been a persistant complaint for the last 20 years).

SkepticJ
2011-Jan-19, 03:12 AM
At what point did the Star Trek writers understand they were no longer writing an evil character?

I write this as I am viewing "True Q". They seemed to want to make Q a villain but they never could.

I'm just wandering why they made the Star Trek characters relating to Q so clueless.

How could you even have an omnipotent villain? They'd be irresistible, there'd be no story.

If Q truly wanted to destroy all humans (or whatever) he could. That's not his bag, though. He just gets pleasure in toying with people and getting a rise out of them.

Picard understands this, so he avoids going along with Q's games if at all possible once he understands what he is. That's the only way Picard can stick it to him, because he can't fight him physically; no one but other Qs can.

I'd say the writers knew what they were doing from the beginning.

Ara Pacis
2011-Jan-19, 07:44 AM
Yeah, the idea of humans competing with gods/demi-gods by using cunning instead of brute strength goes back to the Greeks.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jan-19, 12:34 PM
Assuming the people in power knew what they were doing, casting John de Lancier in the role shows that he was never meant to be just a villain.

NEOWatcher
2011-Jan-19, 01:34 PM
I agree with the others.
Star Trek (at least the earlier versions) dealt with humanity rather than just "villains" to fight. So it would be natural to see an omnipotent person as someone who would be out of touch with humanity because they've never experienced it.

Trantor
2011-Jan-19, 05:01 PM
The "Q" character from STNG was very similar to the "Trelane" character from TOS. He was featured in the TOS episode "The Squire of Gothos". Trelane acted similar and even looked similar to Q. Here is part of what the Memory Alpha site said about Trelane:

In the Peter David novel Q-Squared, Trelane is revealed to be a member of the Q Continuum, with Q being assigned as his mentor. In the book, Trelane is able to tap into "The Heart of The Storm," the theoretical and literal center of the universe, where chaos exists; doing so gives Trelane more power than the entire Continuum, allowing him to close it off and play with the universe as he pleases. Trelane then manipulates three different tracks of the USS Enterprise-D timeline, with the ultimate goal of the experiment being the merging of all parallel timelines and the destruction of the multiverse order. Captain Picard, with the help of Q, manages to stop Trelane, though the experience reduces Trelane to a speck of his former existence. (In an interview on the TNG Season 7 DVD, John de Lancie said he believed that Gene Roddenberry, whether consciously or subconsciously, was channeling Trelane when he created Q.[1])

Ara Pacis
2011-Jan-19, 06:34 PM
I read Q-squared. It was interesting, but I don't want to give away the plot. It's the only Star Trek book I've ever read.

Romanus
2011-Jan-19, 11:48 PM
I still think it's abominable that they never used Q in the TNG movies. So much wasted potential...

Van Rijn
2011-Jan-20, 12:00 AM
Really? In my view, stories with omnipotent beings, like time travel stories, are difficult to do well, so are best avoided. It's too tempting for the writer to solve a problem with a Deus ex machina solution (something that Star Trek has done far too often).

marsbug
2011-Jan-20, 12:18 AM
I agree that the temptation to wave the magic wand and make the problems dissapear is tempting for a writer, but they don't have to give in to it. On the other hand writing a convincing storyline where a fully powered Q does anything other than set events into motion or play chess with everyone is always going to be a hard problem.

Q struck me as being an ambivilent character from the start - a villian cold have erased humankind, but Q offered a chance to prove we could better ourselves. Arguably the most directly evil thing he does is set up the Enterprise to meet the Borg for the first time, which results directly in dozens of deaths, and indirectly in tens of thousands of deaths in various borg attacks. But even then it could (and is by Picard of all people) be argued that the first meeting with the laser pointer addicted hive mind gave the federation a 'kick up their complacency' that saved them from being taken totally unawares and wiped out. And there is definately an appreciation of Picard specifically from Q, perhaps even a kind of warped and back door affection.

Solfe
2011-Jan-20, 01:45 AM
Q was always my favorite "bad guy" even though he wasn't intending to be bad on many occasions. I always wanted to hear him say "Power corrupts and absolute power... is really NEAT!"

novaderrik
2011-Jan-22, 12:39 AM
i think the way Q was portrayed on the show more or less reflected the way the characters on the show saw him- at first, he was this all powerful being that was to be feared. over time, however, they realized he was pretty harmless and the way he was portrayed in the show pretty much followed along those lines.
i always kind of saw Q as almost a father like figure, trying to guide humanity towards a better place.. i have to wonder if he also popped onto Klingon or Romulan ships to have fun from time to time...

my favorite Q episode was the one where he got kicked out of the continuum and had to exist as a mortal human being.. i remember something about needing to move a moon or planet or something for some reason, and Q said that he'd just make the gravitational constant of the planet or moon or whatever less and move it.. then Geordi says "yeah, ok, we could blah blah technobabble blah blah reverse polarity blah blah deflector dish blah blah extend shields around it blah blah" (or something like that), Data agrees with him and they saved the planet/moon/whatever and Q learns some lessons about being human and gets to go home..

KaiYeves
2011-Jan-22, 12:57 AM
Responding to title:

A.

Gemini
2011-Jan-22, 01:49 AM
Responding to title:

A.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/powderny/picard-facepalm.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

novaderrik
2011-Jan-22, 03:08 AM
over in the "AV Club" section of the Onion, one of the writers is doing a review of the entire run of TNG from beginning to end. he claims to have never seen the show before getting the dvds and starting from the beginning. he does 2 episodes a week, and they are usually pretty good (and funny) reviews of the show.
this week just happens to be a Q episode- "Qpid"- and "The Drumhead"..
http://www.avclub.com/articles/qpidthe-drumhead,50266/

Tobin Dax
2011-Jan-22, 05:10 AM
Responding to title:

A.

You really should watch some Star Trek one of these days.

KaiYeves
2011-Jan-23, 12:45 AM
You really should watch some Star Trek one of these days.

I know Q is a character from Star Trek, I was just making a joke.

CJSF
2011-Jan-23, 01:39 AM
*I* thought it was brilliant, Kai! By the way, looks like you've maybe got a bit of an extension to come watch a Shuttle launch before the program ends....

CJSF

Chuck
2011-Jan-23, 03:05 AM
I'm not a big Q fan, but I sort of liked I, Q (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Next-Generation/dp/B000H2MVAI/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295751575&sr=1-4) by John De Lancie and Peter David, a Star Trek novel told from Q's point of view.

KaiYeves
2011-Jan-24, 12:46 AM
*I* thought it was brilliant, Kai! By the way, looks like you've maybe got a bit of an extension to come watch a Shuttle launch before the program ends....

CJSF
I'm actually working on that at the moment, cross your fingers!

Tobin Dax
2011-Jan-25, 04:57 AM
I know Q is a character from Star Trek, I was just making a joke.

It was a clever joke. I should have put a smiley at the end of my post. :) I was just ribbing you a little, Kai.

Ara Pacis
2011-Jan-25, 11:05 AM
Wasn't there a female Q named Barbie?