PDA

View Full Version : NASA Prepares for Extra Space Shuttle Mission

Fraser
2011-Jan-21, 01:00 AM
On Thursday, the Space Shuttle Program set a target launch date of June 28, 2011 for the STS-135 mission, the “extra” shuttle flight that was approved in the 2010 NASA Authorization Act. The STS-135 mission – if not required as a “Launch on Need” rescue flight for STS-133 or STS-134 — would have the shuttle [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/82701/nasa-prepares-for-extra-space-shuttle-mission/)

pumpkinpie
2011-Jan-21, 05:13 PM
This makes me wonder....if STS-135 goes ahead, will there be a “Launch on Need” rescue flight for it?

BetaDust
2011-Jan-21, 06:16 PM
From a Space.com (http://www.universetoday.com/82701/nasa-prepares-for-extra-space-shuttle-mission/) article. (Bold mine)

The crew consists of commander Chris Ferguson, Douglas Hurley, Sandra Magnus and Rex Walheim. The smaller crew size bypasses the need for a rescue shuttle, as if for some reason Atlantis is unable to return from space, the crew members would be rescued from the station using Russian Soyuz spacecraft.

--Dennis

SpaceNutNewmars
2011-Jan-21, 11:45 PM
While it may be safe to launch with the tanks we have it does raise the question when you must rework a tank just so you can use it and quite a bit I might add.
Seems to me that safety is being ignored since the plant that makes them is shut down....

JustAFriend
2011-Jan-22, 01:58 AM
Like most IT projects, they'll just have to hire the knowledgeable people back
as 'temporary consultants' at 10x the normal hourly rate.

Typical government stuff...

pumpkinpie
2011-Aug-10, 02:48 PM
I was in a planetarium show last month, and the presenter said that if Atlantis had been unable to return from space, it would take the crewmembers a year and a half to come home. I'm trying to figure out if it would be even remotely possible.

First of all, the big payload was a year's worth of supplies for the ISS crew. Wouldn't they have to have brought up 1 1/2 years worth of supplies "just in case?"

I'm betting that he was just flat out wrong! All they would need is two Soyuz runs. That wouldn't take a year and a half.