PDA

View Full Version : soft X-ray absorption

trinitree88
2011-Jan-26, 12:21 PM
X-rays are energetic (hard) and less energetic (soft). Either type would suffice at the dentists office. But, the soft ones disappear sometimes due to absorption (soft x-ray opacity). The question is whether that is due to the host galaxy (extinction column density) or the diffuse intergalactic medium. Future instrumentation (or a long XMM-Newton exposure), should be able to resolve the question, by distinguishing absorption features or not. SEE: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1101/1101.4662v1.pdf

antoniseb
2011-Jan-26, 04:37 PM
I like that we know enough about the universe that this level of detail now matters.

trinitree88
2011-Jan-26, 07:58 PM
I like that we know enough about the universe that this level of detail now matters.

antoniseb. Yep. Me too. I like that as my vision slowly degrades with age, at least the scientific instrumentation has so vastly improved that the tricky little details that have so often eluded us in decades past...are now a few weeks work with a computer, some algorithms, a few hours of observing time, and some Edisonian perspiration. pete

P.S. Happy belated New Year, hope you're enjoying our snowy winter this year.