PDA

View Full Version : Weather for tonight's lunar eclipse

Glom
2004-May-04, 11:52 AM
According to Metform 215, by tonight, there will be a depression over most of the British Isles, with an occluded front bordering it east north and west heading outwards.

Now, if I understood correctly from my meteorology, this may spell trouble for viewing. For one thing, an occluded front brings all the stuff of both warm and cold fronts. Warm fronts include drizzly and generally nasty conditions with low stratus cloud that will obviously suck. Since the front is moving outwards from our position on all sides, chances all that stuff will be over us. Furthermore, a depression tends to bring windy and wet weather.

Is that assessment correct?

Patrator
2004-May-04, 09:24 PM
Clouds have finally cleared enough to catch the last five minutes of totality. I've seen quite a few total eclipses of the moon, but the orange/red hue is still an amazing sight.

Glom
2004-May-04, 09:37 PM
Well lucky for you. It was screwy and mank here.

tlbs101
2004-May-04, 09:40 PM
Weather for Albuquerque during the eclipse: SUNNY :cry: :( and warm. The moon is full tonight, rising at 8:08 PM, BRIGHT AND FULL not being blocked from the Sun, AT ALL, by the Earth in any way, shape, or form.

Oh, well, at least I got to see a decent partial Umbral last year.

Weird Dave
2004-May-04, 09:47 PM
Here, it has been cloudy all the time, but it has just cleared enough to show a moon that's 1/3 black. Still, the one we had earlier this year (January?) was pretty good.

EvilBob
2004-May-05, 12:16 AM
Well, down here in South East Australia, it was perfectly clear and cold (about 3 degrees Celcius) just before sunrise. The moon set fully eclipsed, dark copper as it sank into the streetlights....
Sorry to the North Americans... I'm really not rubbing it in - honest!

:roll:

badchap
2004-May-05, 01:09 AM
You did better than me,EvilBob.
I'm in Mebourne suburbs. My husband woke me up about 10 minutes before totality..the moon could be seen through patchy cloud at first, so we were hoping to get at least glimpses...and then the thickest blackest bank of clouds came over and completely blanketed the moon and any hint of light about 2 minutes before totality was due. :(

Gotta love Melbourne..never a dull moment

EvilBob
2004-May-05, 01:38 AM
Don't you hate that!
I must have been lucky. I'm in Shepparton, and there wasn't a hint of cloud. It was pretty overcast when I went to bed so I wasn't getting my hopes up, but it was perfect. Apart from the streetlights, of course! Now I just have to find NEAT and LINEAR.
I remember straining to see Hale-Bopp through the Melbourne haze and lights, so I know how you feel with the Melbourne weather.
](*,)

misty_one
2004-May-05, 02:00 AM
Didn't see it where I am in the UK. Sux to be me. :(

Brady Yoon
2004-May-05, 05:02 AM
When is the eclipse?

eburacum45
2004-May-05, 08:07 AM
It was between nine and ten o'clock last night; I saw it briefly through the clouds, just above York Minster- a kind of reddish yellowish grey.

milli360
2004-May-05, 09:53 AM
When is the eclipse?
It was during your (our) daytime.

Eroica
2004-May-05, 11:24 AM
Clouded out! :cry:

AstroSmurf
2004-May-05, 01:09 PM
Rain, rain, rain... :cry:

milli360
2004-May-05, 01:38 PM
We called an emergency viewing session last night. Clear cold skies, hazy and moonlit, but not one cloud. We could read by moonlight, no need for red flashlights. Our goto chip with the y2K problem had been installed, and we could use it for planets, finally. :)

tjm220
2004-May-05, 09:30 PM
Clouds and snow. :cry:

cyswxman
2004-May-06, 03:12 PM
It was perfectly clear here, but unfortunately the Earth blocked my view!! :wink: :evil:

JohnOwens
2004-May-06, 05:26 PM
It was perfectly clear here, but unfortunately the Earth blocked my view!! :wink: :evil:
So just do like Marvin the Martian does, and blow up that inconvenient planet inconsiderately blocking your view. :wink:

cyswxman
2004-May-06, 05:40 PM
Anybody have a spare Iludium Q38 Explosive Space Modulator??

Russ
2004-May-06, 05:52 PM
According to Metform 215, by tonight, there will be a depression over most of the British Isles, with an occluded front bordering it east north and west heading outwards.

Now, if I understood correctly from my meteorology, this may spell trouble for viewing. For one thing, an occluded front brings all the stuff of both warm and cold fronts. Warm fronts include drizzly and generally nasty conditions with low stratus cloud that will obviously suck. Since the front is moving outwards from our position on all sides, chances all that stuff will be over us. Furthermore, a depression tends to bring windy and wet weather.

Is that assessment correct?
Mind you this is just rumor that I've heard, but aren't the Brittish Isles always under an occluded front?

I used to fly with a guy that flew B-26 Marauders during WW2. He said the way he got home was to fly west north west until he got the biggest cloud in the sky and then land in it. You didn't always hit your air field but you always hit England. :) :D :lol: :lol: