PDA

View Full Version : 3 suns?

robhoofd
2004-May-04, 04:35 PM
Now I generally don't see things, but check this out:
http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20040428a/07-MW-07-NavCamPan-A113R1.jpg
When you look at the left, you'll see shadows on the right from objects. On the right of the picture, they're at the left. And to make it nice and symmetric, in the middle of the pic the shadows are pointing back. It's like two new suns popped up!
I'm sure this has a simple explanation, but if anyone could tell me...

Bewildered
2004-May-04, 04:49 PM
Its a mosaic of images taken over a martian day. Either that or it was taken on a movie set.

scottmsg
2004-May-04, 04:53 PM
The image is a 360 degree panorama.

Here's an example from my location in the northern hemisphere with the sun to the south. When I look north, the shadows will be away from me. If I look east, the shadows will be to the left. If I look west, the shadows will be to the right. And when I look south, the shadows will be towards me.

I think I have the directions right, but if I don't I'm sure someone will correct me.

robhoofd
2004-May-04, 05:13 PM
That's the kind of stuff I just don't think off, went to sleep kinda late last night...
Thanks guys.

Irishman
2004-May-04, 07:57 PM
Print the image, on multiple pages if necessary and tape them together.

Now take the paper and wrap it in a circle around you. Viola!

Chip
2004-May-04, 09:19 PM
The shadow of the Rover's camera in the sand is particularly cool. Gives an added element of imagination to the image. (i.e. "Advanced aliens" (us) have landed and are exploring.) :o

robhoofd
2004-May-05, 12:09 PM
I like it when you call me 'advanced' :wink: