PDA

View Full Version : weight loss journey

Tinaa
2011-Jan-29, 12:25 AM
I have been on weight watchers since Dec. 20, 2010. I have lost 5% of my body weight. I still have a long way to go but I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. I get up and go to water aerobics three days a week and I swim laps 2 days a week. I am up to .68 miles in thirty minutes. I am working on the goal of one mile in thirty minutes.

My last checkup my doctor got on me, big time, about my weight, cholesterol, and blood pressure. I have six months to get it together or he's going to put me on meds for cholesterol.

Has anyone made these major life changes AND been able to keep it up? It is easy for a few months. Does good health become a habit?

I do realize that I will have to exercise for the rest of my life.

adapa
2011-Jan-30, 01:53 PM
I have been on weight watchers since Dec. 20, 2010. I have lost 5% of my body weight. I still have a long way to go but I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. I get up and go to water aerobics three days a week and I swim laps 2 days a week. I am up to .68 miles in thirty minutes. I am working on the goal of one mile in thirty minutes.

My last checkup my doctor got on me, big time, about my weight, cholesterol, and blood pressure. I have six months to get it together or he's going to put me on meds for cholesterol.

Has anyone made these major life changes AND been able to keep it up? It is easy for a few months. Does good health become a habit?

It sounds like you have a good program going there.

Although I have never had a problem with cholesterol etc., I can say that it definitely gets easier. In fact, the reason why I have been staying in shape for over 26 years is because it becomes downright enjoyable. However, once it becomes enjoyable, you will have to resist the tendency to over train (a problem in many fitness centers).

Overall, it is definitely worth it. Although I was in good shape during high school, I am in better shape now and I love the sense of well being.

Keep it up on both the exercise and the nutrition, don't over train, and you will start enjoying it too.

Also, I almost forgot to add that you are better off using a measuring tape than a scale to monitor your progress.

grapes
2011-Jan-30, 03:37 PM
Also, I almost forgot to add that you are better off using a measuring tape than a scale to monitor your progress.The idea being that you are bound to increase muscle mass, which adds weight but it is a desireable increase. If you lose weight without increasing muscle mass, you're probably in trouble--increasing muscle tends to increase your metabolism, which makes it easier to keep the fat mass off, and it makes it easier to exercise.

Still, in most cases, especially those cases where the physician has gotten involved, a scale is a useful tool.

Swift
2011-Jan-30, 04:05 PM

I've been doing the 10,000 Step-a-day exercise program since 2003. I can't say it has helped me lose weight, but I am in better shape and I enjoy doing it. I think that is the key, finding something that works for you.

grapes
2011-Jan-30, 04:41 PM
You're doing 10,000 steps, one per day? You'll be finished in 2030!

Swift
2011-Jan-30, 07:22 PM
You're doing 10,000 steps, one per day? You'll be finished in 2030!
Yes, but they are very big steps. :p

Tensor
2011-Jan-31, 02:49 PM

Tinna, my wife has been with Weight Watchers since November of 2008. She's lost 83 lbs and has 20 more to go (according to her). That came when her doctor put her on pills for and then insulin for type II diabetes. Since losing the weight, she has been taken off her pills and insulin and has also been taken off her high blood pressure medication. She does aerobic exercise five times a week. She has also made changes in our diet. I'm quite easy as I will eat just about anything that you put in front of me. She was rather picky. She has changed her diet (and in the process changed mine). She's been at it for a bit over two years and I would say she gets more into it all the time. So I would say, yes, it does become a habit.
Her goal it to become an employee of WW. A byproduct of her health endeavors has been a weight loss on me. I was about 40 lbs overweight (mostly due to medications) but have gotten back down to where I should be, around 180.

cosmocrazy
2011-Jan-31, 09:05 PM
Tinna, I think you have had good advice so far, Adapa made some good points and it would be worth listening to them. The bottom line with weight loss is calorie control, simply put the more calories you burn than you consume per day will result in weight loss. Now an average woman for example requires around 2000 calories per day (dependent on Height body frame size, weight and activity this value would need to be adjusted). So to lose weight gradually and healthily it would be advisable to reduce calorie intake by around 25% to 75% of your recommended daily intake requirements. Now add exercise into the equation and you can increase your intake but still maintain weight loss. The next key is to make sure that the calorie intake is of quality and balanced nutrients i.e the right amount of carbs, protein, fats, natural sugars, vitamins & minerals. If you talk to a good dietitian they can advise you on a diet that suits your needs which will allow you to lose the weight you require and then maintain that desired level without spending your life down the gym and worrying about what you eat. But remember as it has been mentioned weight loss is only the first step body form and fat percentage ratios are far more important and easier on the eye than what the scales tell you!

The simple answer to your OP is "food management, with regular moderate exercise" :)

novaderrik
2011-Jan-31, 09:57 PM
i found a really good way to lose weight a couple of years ago- i got a job that required me to do a lot of physical exertion and didn't leave me a lot of time to sit around and eat before or after work.
i lost 25 pounds in the first month at that job.

eugenek
2011-Jan-31, 10:48 PM
WW is great! My advice is to track everything you put in your mouth. When I fell off the wagon a few times, failure to track my food was the harbinger. Only later did I realize it. Weight Watchers has a nice online food tracker. Try not to miss WW meetings. I found they refreshed my focus. Sometimes, there's pretty good information shared as well.

In your exercise routine add resistance training a few times a week. The more muscle mass you have the more calories your body consumes to maintain them. It's a nice long term investment.

If you drink soda that has sugar. Stop. It is evil.

Buttercup
2011-Feb-01, 12:34 AM
Congratulations. :)

I dropped 2 clothing sizes in the past 3 years, though I'll admit it wasn't due to calorie counting or a low-carb diet but rather to intense private-life hardships. But some good came out of all that bad.

During that time I mostly wasn't hungry, though realized I still needed good nutrition...so as a result, my eating habits improved a lot. I use Pam spray, will opt for fresh fruit instead of hash browns at a restaurant, only eat until I'm *just* feeling satisfied, etc.

Am now mostly vegetarian due to meat intolerance.

So due to circumstances out of my control, I'm better off and much healthier now than I was 6 years ago.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-01, 02:41 AM
I count every point. I don't skip my workouts either. I was doing some resistance training but I really, really hated it. I talked to a trainer and she said that swimming is a form of resistance training. I also do resistance training during the water aerobic classes. She said I should lift weights but it won't kill me if I just keep swimming. I may want to do some lifting when I need to start toning more. I have noticed that my clothes are getting loose and it is easier to swim my laps. I lost another 3 lbs this week; makes 16 pounds so far. I suppose I can get a trainer to measure me at my gym.

It has been kind of fun. I like trying new recipes and creating new ones. Challenging myself to swim just two more laps. My boss and his wife have even joined me on-line. I can't do the meetings. I just don't care for people enough to do that. I'd have to be nice and listen to others.

I never had a problem with cholesterol until this last checkup. It was on the high side of normal which is apparently too high for my doctor. I do have high blood pressure so I would like to get off of those.

I drink one diet soda a day at work and none on the weekends. I drink unsweetened green tea or water. I have found that eating healthy is more expensive. I'm going to start hitting the farmers market again.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Feb-01, 12:56 PM
For me, weight control happens naturally as long as I don't have anyone telling me when to every day. For the last 25 or so years, every time I was made to have three meals a day I gained weight, which I promptly lost again when I got back to eating only when I remember to feel hungry.

eugenek
2011-Feb-01, 08:18 PM
Great job on the weight loss so far.

Below is a website geared toward women. A bit of it, such as the eating articles, apply equally to men and women. My wife found it helpful during our weight loss journey.

http://www.stumptuous.com/

Fazor
2011-Feb-01, 08:58 PM
I have found that eating healthy is more expensive. I'm going to start hitting the farmers market again.

I suppose that depends on more expensive than what? We had been bad about getting take-out/drive-through for lunch every day during the week. We'd also go out to eat at least 2 or 3 times a week for dinner. That was expensive.

We got good about bringing our own lunches everyday, and not going out to eat that often for dinner, and it saved a lot of money and was healthier. But for the last few years, we still weren't eating healthy.

Back in November I started counting calories. Not necessarily dieting; just keeping track of what I was eating. Tough I did have a target number of calories (fuzzy target, as it's often hard to know exactly how many calories you're taking in anyway.) This lead to replacing a lot of foods with more healthy versions. I still don't think I spend more on food, but it's certainly not cheaper. The biggest problem is, the cost of groceries has drastically increased. Particularly produce.

I think it's funny going into "when I was growing up" stories, since I'm only 28, but seriously, my first job was working at a grocery store, and a gallon of milk was $0.98, and same for a dozen eggs. Now each cost above $3 here, which is a heck of an increase. And it all adds up.

Buttercup
2011-Feb-01, 09:23 PM
I suppose that depends on more expensive than what?

Yeah. :)

Will say that since only my husband eats meat regularly (and he's sometimes willing to skip meat altogether once or twice per week), and we're eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, our grocery bill has basically been halved. We spend only roughly $70 per month on groceries. It'd be even less if I could give up Diet Pepsi.

eugenek
2011-Feb-02, 02:18 AM
We spend only roughly $70 per month on groceries. It'd be even less if I could give up Diet Pepsi.

Is that $70 in US dollars? Are you an elite coupon warrior? What do you eat? My wife and I spend about $600 at the grocery store each month.

Fazor
2011-Feb-02, 02:37 AM
Me and Tara weigh in at anywhere from $80-120 a week, depending on if we need dog food or laundry soap or whatever. And we really don't buy that much stuff. Lots of spagetti dinners (can make two-to-three dinners on about $8 worth of pasta, sauce, and fresh veggies for in the sauce.) It just always finds a way to add up.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-02, 02:53 AM
I really need to add more fish to my new way of eating. I've never been a big fish eater - except for deep fried catfish. I love shrimp, lobster and crab. I have eaten some grilled fish - not sure what kind it was though - and liked it. Share with me some healthy fish recipes. Remember I am cooking for a meat and potatoes kind of guy and a mother-in-law with serious cholesterol issues. And I'm not real big on oven frying.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-02, 03:04 AM
I spend well over a hundred dollars every week. If I need dog and cat food add another forty plus. I feed four people and occasionally double that when the kids come by. My pantry and freezer are the also the "grocery store" for the kids when they've run out of check before they've run out of month. If I make up a weekly menu I spend less than if I'm trying to make it up as I shop.

Fazor
2011-Feb-02, 03:45 AM
If I make up a weekly menu I spend less than if I'm trying to make it up as I shop.
That's advice I'd give to anyone. We spent twice as much before we started making a list. We're still bad about picking up a few things that we didn't like (and thus don't really need) but just walking down the aisle is just asking for trouble, because EVERYTHING looks like something you just have to have.

Tensor
2011-Feb-02, 04:49 AM
I really need to add more fish to my new way of eating. I've never been a big fish eater - except for deep fried catfish. I love shrimp, lobster and crab. I have eaten some grilled fish - not sure what kind it was though - and liked it. Share with me some healthy fish recipes. Remember I am cooking for a meat and potatoes kind of guy and a mother-in-law with serious cholesterol issues. And I'm not real big on oven frying.

One of our favorites is salmon, Sweet potatoes and vegetable. It's rather easy. Bake the sweet potatoes (for about an hour, depending on the size), broil the salmon fillets (until flaky, about 5-6 minutes, again depending on the size). Both the potatoes and fish should be backed and broiled on baking sheets lined with aluminum foil to ease clean up. Steam the vegetables and make up some Bearnaise sauce (buy a packet) for the salmon and asparagus, some brown sugar and cinnamon for the sweet potato. Even our daughters, who hated fish when they were growing up, loved this dinner.

Tensor
2011-Feb-02, 04:54 AM
Lots of spagetti dinners (can make two-to-three dinners on about $8 worth of pasta, sauce, and fresh veggies for in the sauce.).

We did that a lot when we were younger. However, as we got older my wife started having problems with diabetes and had to watch her starch intake. As a result, we've had to cut back on spaghetti, even if we do use wheat pasta now. She is no longer having problems with her blood sugar, but she still watches her starch intake.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Feb-02, 04:59 AM
Get them hooked on sushi:D

IsaacKuo
2011-Feb-02, 04:49 PM
Share with me some healthy fish recipes.
Not really a recipe, but you could see if you like smoked salmon on toast (I like it with rye bread or pumpernickel).

One method of making catfish fillets which I think is absolutely delicious is to simply microwave them with lots of salt, pepper, and soy sauce. My wife thinks it is horrible and it makes the entire kitchen smell like fish. She doesn't like any sort of "fishy" flavor. But me? I love it; I think it enhances the flavor. To me, it's almost as good as pan frying the catfish but without the extra fat/calories (and much less effort).

My wife prefers to bake salmon in aluminum foil until all of the fishy flavor is removed. The result, to me, is very bland.

BigDon
2011-Feb-03, 08:28 PM
Tinaa, I had to quit moving furniture when a medication I was taking caused me to gain almost 150 pounds in nine months. The doctor prescribing the medication didn't seem as nearly concerned about the weight gain as I liked and when I finally got e-fricking-normous I told the doc goodbye, kiss my :silenced:

Took me two years to get back down to where the mean ol' Doņas, riding herd on the teenage girls after school lets out, blush when I smile and tip my hat at *them*. (Makes my day when I can make an old battleship* transform briefly into a high school girl again. :))

*A lot of these old gals pack some major guns!

Fazor
2011-Feb-03, 08:47 PM

I just saw this part of the OP. I've noticed that the change in my eating habits has (more or less) stuck around. For two months I was riding my stationary bike at least 10 miles (about an hour) a day, but that's gone by the wayside. I keep telling myself "I'm going to start again, right when I get home from work!" but by the time I get home, I'm lazying-out and crashing on the couch.

If I was just eating like I am now, but still working at my last job, I'd be a twig. But that's the worst part of my current employment; it involves sitting at a desk 8 hours a day. I get up and move around as much as possible, but it's not nearly enough.

BigDon
2011-Feb-04, 03:54 PM
I just saw this part of the OP. I've noticed that the change in my eating habits has (more or less) stuck around. For two months I was riding my stationary bike at least 10 miles (about an hour) a day, but that's gone by the wayside. I keep telling myself "I'm going to start again, right when I get home from work!" but by the time I get home, I'm lazying-out and crashing on the couch.

If I was just eating like I am now, but still working at my last job, I'd be a twig. But that's the worst part of my current employment; it involves sitting at a desk 8 hours a day. I get up and move around as much as possible, but it's not nearly enough.

That's because your still married.

As a bachelor who's tired of being one, I have to draw their attention long enough so they can see past this mug of mine. Though fortunately women almost never marry a man because he has a pretty face.

Fazor
2011-Feb-04, 04:13 PM
Technically, since they no longer recognize common-law, I'm not married. But yeah, I'm not out looking either. Fortunately for me; Tara's either got low standards or bad vision. ;)

My recent focus on weight-loss is more aimed at getting in good enough shape to be able to play soccer this season, when summer rolls around. Lost 20. Currently holding steady. But have 20-30 more to lose.

Barabino
2011-Feb-04, 04:40 PM
I'm 38 yo, 5.7", I weight 265 lbs. :-(

On april, I should go into a sort of rehab clinic for fat people :-(

Exercise can be fun, but I hate that I will no longer be free to eat what I whim:
I'll have to account for everything I put in :-(

35 gr pasta
no salt
no oil

everyday very simplistic meals = everyday the same stuff !

...sounds like living death to me :-(

Fazor
2011-Feb-04, 04:47 PM
You know; I've found a lot of very good food with tons of flavor that is healthy; but it takes more creativity than I naturally have. The killer is the salt. At 28, I don't worry that much about my salt intake -- though I've never been one to add salt to already prepared food -- but just the salt that's already in things is astounding.

Calories I've been able to cut out pretty easily without sacrificing flavor and variety. I have to watch what I drink, as I found a ton of "unnecessary" calories were coming from pop (almost never drink it anymore), beer (my lovely beer! I don't drink much of it anymore either), and even juice. I hate drinking water, but make myself at least substitute water for one drink a day.

I do use oil to cook most everything, but a teaspoon of EVOO to cook in isn't that bad either.

Anyway, good luck Barabino

BigDon
2011-Feb-04, 05:04 PM
I'm 38 yo, 5.7", I weight 265 lbs. :-(

On april, I should go into a sort of rehab clinic for fat people :-(

Exercise can be fun, but I hate that I will no longer be free to eat what I whim:
I'll have to account for everything I put in :-(

35 gr pasta
no salt
no oil

everyday very simplistic meals = everyday the same stuff !

...sounds like living death to me :-(

That's one of the reasons I liked furniture moving. At the height of the moving season I'm moving five to seven households a week and needed to eat around 6000 calories a day to maintain a weight of 235 pounds.

*My* advice is to keep eating as you like and just encrease your energy output. (Join a gym.) Tone muscle consumes calories even at rest.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-05, 03:23 PM
Cooked up a fine mess of fried catfish last night. I counted the points and consider it well worth it. I am going in for a bit of lap swimming today. I don't want to louse up my losing streak. And I'm even kind of looking forward to hitting the water.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-05, 07:30 PM
I did it. I swam a mile in 38 minutes. My goal is a 30 minute mile.

Fazor
2011-Feb-05, 07:48 PM
Congrats. Almost there. Then you'll Have to go for 2 miles in 45 minutes ;)

I love swimming. Too fat now; cuts down on hydrodynamics. Helps bouyancy though.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-05, 08:35 PM
Congrats. Almost there. Then you'll Have to go for 2 miles in 45 minutes ;)

I love swimming. Too fat now; cuts down on hydrodynamics. Helps bouyancy though.

In my water aerobics class the instructor wants us to tread water for a minute. That does nothing for me; I can float vertical in the water without even sculling my arms.

Tensor
2011-Feb-05, 09:56 PM
I'm not married. But yeah, I'm not out looking either. Fortunately for me; Tara's either got low standards or bad vision. ;)...

Or both..... ducks and runs.

Fazor
2011-Feb-05, 10:00 PM
In my water aerobics class the instructor wants us to tread water for a minute. That does nothing for me; I can float vertical in the water without even sculling my arms.

I've been the same way my whole life. I can just lean back and float on the surface without doing anything.

Tobin Dax
2011-Feb-05, 11:42 PM
I've been the same way my whole life. I can just lean back and float on the surface without doing anything.

I thought that was horizontal.

Fazor
2011-Feb-06, 12:04 AM
I missed where Tina said 'verticle'; though that works too. just not as comfortably.

cheery
2011-Feb-06, 06:23 PM
[SIZE="5"]
Hi I am also on a weight loss journey
My dr gave me a lecture too. I am having a difficulty with excersiseThe gosl is to lose 20 pounds by the end of April When I was in college 30 years ago[ i fasted all day on Sundays. So have reinstated that ritual
I have high blood pressure and colestrol too
Perhaps we can encourage each other. Is there an email address that I can chat with you? s/SIZE]

gzhpcu
2011-Feb-06, 07:06 PM
The best way to lose weight for me (and I have been doing this for some time):
- drink plenty of water (at least 2 liters a day), drink prior to a meal (cuts down the appetite) (no soft drinks - water with lemon...)
- 3 meals a day: a good breakfast, a normal lunch (moderate quantities - anything is allowed), a light dinner
- make sure to eat fresh vegetables and fruits (bananas, apples, etc.)
- excercise (walking, gym, tennis)

Tinaa
2011-Feb-06, 07:54 PM
I have found a longer term goal. I want to compete in a triathlon. A short one. I am in no way a runner; in fact, I hate to run. I'm not much of a bike rider either come to think of it. But, I like the thought of pushing myself to do something outside my comfort zone. A visit with a trainer is my next step.

IsaacKuo
2011-Feb-06, 08:44 PM
I'm on my own weight loss journey, which I started at the end of last year when my doctor's check up came as a big wakeup call (my blood sugar had shot way up, and I had gained 15 pounds).

I radically reduced the amount of food I eat, which was very hard for the first week and a half, but then my body adjusted. My body also stopped losing weight, so I had to reduce the amount of food even more. The second time, though, I had no problem adjusting.

Up until yesterday, this was all diet--no exercise. I had lost about 20 pounds out of about 225, but I still rate as "Obese". I'm adding exercise now. I'm so out of shape, so I have no goals of competing in a triathalon or anything. Wii Fit tells me that my healthiest weight would be 145 pounds...not likely!

In the past, I have never been able to lose much weight, and exercise had never helped me lose weight at all. I just made up for it by eating more. But it's important for me to be healthy, so I'm making sure to add it in.

I'm sure that the reduced food intake will stick. It has radically transformed my relationship with food and eating, as well as changed my perspective of the quantities of food required for manned spaceflight. We'll see about the exercise. I've never had success with it before. Still, I'm not exercising to lose weight, I'm exercising to improve health.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-09, 11:23 PM
Isaac I credit much of my weight loss to exercise. And learning portion control.

I spoke to a trainer at my gym this morning, He told me I should go for the triathlon. He said I'm in decent enough shape. I have 12 weeks to train and he showed me where to get the info for which I was looking. He said he would help in any way. I can set the stationary bikes for hills, etc. I'm also going to borrow my daughter's bike and ride. I have bad knees so he said I CAN walk the 2 mile run if need be. Training starts tomorrow!

I was really surprised about how my body was able to get stronger so quickly with my regular swimming workouts. I'm hoping it cooperates with the biking and running too!

IsaacKuo
2011-Feb-11, 05:05 PM
I have started using Wii Fit Plus for about 30 minutes of low/medium exercise per day (none of the games involve more exertion than biking up a gentle slope).

Despite the relatively low exertion level, I think it has accelerated my weight loss. And even if it doesn't, it should be good for my health.

Previously, exercise never helped me lose weight because it made me hungry and I ended up eating more. But this time, I'm carefully measuring my portions. I've added a little bit to my intake per day to compensate for the extra hunger, but apparently not enough to cancel out the burnt calories.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-12, 01:16 AM
WW has changed their program to allow unlimited servings for most fresh fruits and veggies. I like salty, crunchy, spicy snacks. A cup of crunchy carrots sure is a good substitute. Air popped popcorn is also a substitute for the chips I can eat by the bag full. Spray on a little butter flavored cooking spray and the jalapeno or onion salt will stick. Super YUM! Just knowing I can eat all the veggies I want seems to have a psychological effect. I reach for the veggies instead of something else because I can eat ll I want.

IsaacKuo
2011-Feb-16, 03:34 PM
I like salty, crunchy, spicy snacks.
You may like an okra salad. You simply take some okra and slice them. Then add salt and pepper and a little soy sauce. (You can replace the salt and pepper with spicy Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning or some other spicy alternative.)

Okra has an interesting mouth feel, with a crunchy outside and creamy seed filling. The large seeds provide enough oil and protein that no salad dressing is necessary.

Unfortunately, whole okra is too fibrous to really be a suitable snack without some prep work, and you really need to eat it soon after slicing for the best taste and texture.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-17, 01:31 AM
I love fried okra. I'll try your okra salad.

I started spinning class Tuesday. I did 15 miles in 50 minutes...and it was so much fun. I can't wait for the class on Friday. I did 5.5 on my own today. I really think I can do the triathlon.

Fazor
2011-Feb-17, 02:25 AM
15 in 50? that's really good. I was doing about 10 in 50 when I was using my bike. Need to start again. Need a new motto other than "meh, maybe tomorrow." heh

HenrikOlsen
2011-Feb-19, 02:41 AM
I just got so far as managing a brisk walk for a bit more than a kilometer before boredom set in and I went up to check how long I'd walked.
Turns out I have an almost exactly 1 km route just by turning right four times and a near exact 2 km one by turning three times.
I suspect I'll just be starting with the brisk walks for now, but with sound next time.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-20, 12:45 AM
I decided to switch my workouts today. I run/walked before I swam. Mistake! I think the lap swimming really warms my muscles up. My time was down and I couldn't swim as hard either. Tomorrow is a rest day and I need it.

blueshift
2011-Feb-21, 03:33 AM
I am 62 yrs old. I am 5 foot 11 in and weigh 183. I work out six days a week, three for the upper body and three for the lower body. I do these workouts first thing in the morning right after drinking 30 ounces of water. I have a gluten-free diet so what follows doesn't fit everyone but it does for me. During the warmer weather I ride a bike for 26 miles each Saturday through a bike trail in the nearby forest preserve. If there is a star party on a Saturday night I only do a light workout on Sunday after. Sundays usually has me doing jump rope and wind sprints. Summer time I add batting practice at a nearby batting cage. The more raw food I consume the more energy I seem to have.

Breakfast --I take raw pineapple and cut it into wedges and add one pear cut into about 15 pieces of equal size. All that goes into the stir fry pan with no oil added. I stir them up for about three minutes or so and then add pickapeppa sauce, the gluten free answer to worcestershire sauce. Stir that in and then I slice a banana up and add it to the stir fry for 15 seconds before shutting off the heat. Sometimes I use Thai Peanut Sauce, GF variety, instead of the pickapeppa.

With that I put 6 tablespoons of flax meal in a small dish and add enough apple cider and mix it into consistency between a paste and apple sauce.

Lunch is usually Thai Noodle soup mixed with 4 tablespoons of flax meal and a dish of raw cauliflower and some slices of raw seedless cucumber. !8 ounces of water preceded the meal.

Supper is usually a stir fry with green and red raw bell peppers cut up along with mushrooms. I add palak paneer and then about 6 tablespoons of flax meal with the apple cider again.

Other nights I have dosas ( I make my own ) or Thai Peanut noodle stir fry or baked tofu and potato. I usually eat fish once or twice weekly and tandoori chicken once every three weeks. Saturday afternoons before a star party I make up my own GF pizza. I put green peppers and mushrooms and pepper jack cheese on it.

With all the scare tissue in my body from colon surgeries, my small bowel will obstruct whenever I eat any large meals. So I never gain weight. Without the GF diet my bowel would constantly be trying to obstruct right around the clock.

It sounds like a lot of diets here are working out.

Spoons
2011-Feb-21, 06:56 AM
I decided recently that enough was enough, and started doing daily exercise, along with quitting cigs, cutting down on beer and increasing my water and fruit & veg intake. One of the main drivers for me was my little nephew being born, the other, a lady.

I've just decided to leave the car at home and ride to and from work, which gives me about an hour and a half riding per day. It's been a week, and it's going really well. I actually got an offer for a job which would pay quite a bit more, within the same company, but I turned it down in part because it would mess up my new routine, which I'm really enjoying.

I think once you decide to put your health first, and you really want to, it's not so hard to keep it up.

Jens
2011-Feb-21, 07:52 AM
I've just decided to leave the car at home and ride to and from work, which gives me about an hour and a half riding per day.

On horse or pony?

Spoons
2011-Feb-21, 08:52 AM
Two dozen ferrets.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-21, 06:27 PM
I lost four pounds this week. I've certainly been working out hard enough! And I painstakingly wrote down everything i ate this week. Feeling pretty good today.

IsaacKuo
2011-Feb-21, 07:18 PM
I find it difficult to measure how much weight I have lost in a week. Even when I measure at the same time every day, and my food/exercise is more or less identical, there seem to be fluctuations of 2-3 pounds.

I think that my weight loss has mostly leveled off in the last week, but it's really hard for me to tell (can't seem to push below 190). I'm still way above my target, and still in the upper range of "overweight".

I've punched a new hole in my belt, though, which feels significant.

Tinaa
2011-Feb-21, 07:23 PM
One notch smaller is good! I weigh on the same scale at the same time every Monday. I've really upped my water and other liquids and cut down on my salt. I know you mentioned that exercise makes you hungrier but i find that I feel less hungry after working out in the morning.

IsaacKuo
2011-Feb-21, 07:29 PM
Breakfast --I take raw pineapple and cut it into wedges and add one pear cut into about 15 pieces of equal size. All that goes into the stir fry pan with no oil added. I stir them up for about three minutes or so and then add pickapeppa sauce, the gluten free answer to worcestershire sauce. Stir that in and then I slice a banana up and add it to the stir fry for 15 seconds before shutting off the heat. Sometimes I use Thai Peanut Sauce, GF variety, instead of the pickapeppa.

With that I put 6 tablespoons of flax meal in a small dish and add enough apple cider and mix it into consistency between a paste and apple sauce.

Lunch is usually Thai Noodle soup mixed with 4 tablespoons of flax meal and a dish of raw cauliflower and some slices of raw seedless cucumber. !8 ounces of water preceded the meal.

Supper is usually a stir fry with green and red raw bell peppers cut up along with mushrooms. I add palak paneer and then about 6 tablespoons of flax meal with the apple cider again.
Sounds like a yummy and wonderfully healthy diet! Not to my personal tastes, since I'm not into the somewhat sweet flavor of typical Thai food, but the pepper/mushroom stir fry is one I'll definitely try out (minus the cider).

My diabetic condition is such that I have to watch my carbohydrate intake anyway, and raw fruits are recommended for me over cooked or dried fruit. Suits me fine--I like them less sweet anyway, and cooking/drying tends to concentrate the sweetness.

Other nights I have dosas ( I make my own ) or Thai Peanut noodle stir fry or baked tofu and potato. I usually eat fish once or twice weekly and tandoori chicken once every three weeks. Saturday afternoons before a star party I make up my own GF pizza. I put green peppers and mushrooms and pepper jack cheese on it.
Gluten-free pizza? How does the dough compare to traditional pizza dough? Just curious--I don't really eat pizza of any sort lately since it's so heavy in carbohydrates.

It sounds like a lot of diets here are working out.
Some days I'm not so sure. It's certainly working better than any time I've attempted to diet before, but I'm still worried that it's just temporary.

IsaacKuo
2011-Feb-21, 07:39 PM
One notch smaller is good! I weigh on the same scale at the same time every Monday. I've really upped my water and other liquids and cut down on my salt. I know you mentioned that exercise makes you hungrier but i find that I feel less hungry after working out in the morning.
In the past, exercise would make me feel hungrier overall--but not immediately after the exercise. I think it's a matter of my body going into some sort of "panic mode". Whatever the reason, I would end up eating more as a result soon enough.

But this time it's different because I just can't pig out. If I did, then it would show up in my blood sugar and that just means I'll need to exercise more just to bring the level back down. And ultimately, if I don't keep my diabetes under control that will mean insulin shots and/or worse.

Nowadays, I don't eat more after exercise, because I'm trying hard to stick to the plan. Still, I know the consequences if I eat too much, like I did on Valentine's Day. Blood sugar level of 199, which is really high, and I had to really push myself with exercise so it would go down to levels that weren't scary. (This involved me doing extra blood tests, which I really don't like to do--but hey, the little pin pricks are nothing compared to insulin shots.)

Tinaa
2011-Feb-25, 03:03 AM
I'm almost at the end of my second full week of tri training and I am tired. Nothing particularly hurts, so I don't think I'm doing too much. I am just really working hard. Two days of cycling (spin classes for now), three running (walk/jog) workouts and four days of swimming. I pair the running with the swimming because it is a little easier on my knees.

I'm looking forward to my rest day on Sunday. Of course, rest day involves laundry, housework, yard work, etc. And I try to do a bit of extra cooking to save time during the workweek.

Anyone else done training for a marathon or other kind of big race?

BigDon
2011-Feb-25, 04:15 PM
Yay Miss T!

At this rate you'll be ready for swimsuit season with weeks to spare!

I'm working my abs hard now and have a mid-line again but not quite a sixpack yet. (Body fat level is still too high) but I can see my toes when I look down without having to lean forward!

I'm looking forward to this Spring.

IsaacKuo
2011-Mar-11, 03:45 PM
Just a random update:

It turns out that my starvation diet was having bad effects--a lot of shortness of breath, a lot of lightheadedness. A lot of weird tingly sensations, random numbness, chills. My doctor checked me out and ran tests to rule out anything more serious. After bulking up my lunchtime food intake as recommended, my symptoms evaporated.

For a couple weeks my weight was more or less flat, waving up and down, and the prospect of having my weight loss stalled or even reversed was depressing me. But I feel like my body was regaining strength during this time, and I can see now that my weight has still been going down gradually overall.

The corner in my weight loss graph is about three weeks ago. It's been long enough that I can see the new trend is still downward, so the day to day ups and downs aren't freaking me out as much anymore.

Before my weight loss journey, I would have thought it impossible for someone with immense rolls of fat to also be feeling true physiological starvation effects. I mean, the energy is right there in my big belly! I can point to it, I can grab it in my hands and roll the flab around. It just goes to show how weight management is a non-trivial physiological problem. It's not just a matter of willpower. For example, you can't just convince your body to consume body fat rather than muscle by mentally commanding it. You can suffer more than just a growling stomach and hunger pangs.

My diet is still pretty severely restricted, just not as restricted as before. I feel worlds better, and my weight is still going in the right direction.

After a couple weeks of frustrating up-and-down uncertainty, I can finally say with confidence that I'm passing below the 190 pound barrier (still in the upper half of "overweight" BMI). It's a long way to my goal of 165 pounds...

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-11, 04:33 PM
The wrong trigger point for feeling hungry vs. food intake could well be one of the reasons why the big belly was built up in the first place, and it's definitely one of the things that become skewed by long term overeating so it becomes a rally bad indicator for when and how much to eat.
Making your body consume fat rather than muscle is done by exercising while dieting, that part is not mental. Actually following a diet and actually getting the exercise is very definitely mental work though and that can be a really hard part of losing weight.

Spoons
2011-Mar-12, 12:53 AM
I've found that losing weight and getting healthier needs a positive driving motivator. If I try to lose weight just because I want to lose weight I don't have the impetus to consistently do everything I should be doing, but as is the case currently, when I have multiple drivers it becomes much easier. If one driver falters you can lean on the other.

Tinaa
2011-Mar-12, 03:58 AM
Last week I only lost one lb and I was feeling a bit depressed. In spin class I do 30+ miles a week, I swim a couple of miles a week and run/walk at least three. I am tracking my food diligently. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried on my daughters jeans and they fit - two sizes smaller than what I've been wearing! I am making progress slowly but surely. It is sure hard work though.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-12, 11:18 AM
Do you have any way to reliably measure how much of your missing weight loss is because you're replacing the fat with muscles?

If I was on your exercise program my weight would be shooting up towards 40 pounds heavier than I am.

Tinaa
2011-Mar-12, 01:44 PM
No. I should be using measurements because weight was really never all that important to me, other than I have to track it on WeightWatchers. It is just much easier to step on a scale rather than take measurements. I suppose it really is a good idea to be lose slowly. I am creating new lifestyle. Healthy eating and daily exercise are becoming habits. Though it is a bit daunting to know that I will have to exercise almost everyday for the rest of my life.

Tinaa
2011-Mar-16, 02:12 PM
I lost three lbs this week but I'm struck with a killer virus. I've been down and out for two days. Should feel well enough tomorrow to get my workout in - I hope. I'm feeling quite guilty for missing, but between my head and my chest, I just can't do it. And I'm sure people would not appreciate my germs being spread all over the gym.

BigDon
2011-Mar-16, 04:22 PM
Do you have any way to reliably measure how much of your missing weight loss is because you're replacing the fat with muscles?

If I was on your exercise program my weight would be shooting up towards 40 pounds heavier than I am.

What Henrik said Miss T. Your legs are muscling up and toning. They will consume calories even at rest now. This is a desired anabolic state.

When I move furniture, or build up my walking like I am now, my legs get huge. The ex said my legs were one of my best features. I have "thighs like Baryshnikov" according to her.

You deserve a cheer. Here's one my mother taught me from her high school days.

Rickity rickity ree,
Kick them in the knee!
Rickity rickity rass,
Kick them in the other knee!

It's a little funnier if you draw it out in "cheer speak".

Good job Miss T, I'm literally rooting for you.

(Of course when my *friends* see me doing something clever they chant. "Spaz, Spaz, Spaz...")

JackWindu
2011-Mar-16, 06:02 PM
Tinaa it sounds like you are on the right path. I also have been told by my Doctor that I need to lose weight. I've been having some pain in the right side of my abdomen and my liver enzymes have been way to high. So after a few tests I have been told that I have NonAlcohol Related Fatty Liver Disease. (If I would have only known my liver would mess me up without drinking alcohol I would have drunk more beer). The only thing that really helps this is weight loss. So now I need to lose 50lbs. I've started walking 1 mile a day. As a former wrestler I know how to lose the weight, but cutting out bacon cheeseburgers is going to tough!

Spoons
2011-Mar-17, 06:33 AM
I bought a blood pressure tester today, because I went down to the chemists at lunch time to get a free test done. 2 problems - their testers aren't big enough for my arm (my arms aren't that powerful, the tester things are just tiny) and you have to wait 15 minutes relaxing before the test. So I said, heck, just buy it, and did.

Last time I was tested the doc said it read something like 170 over 140, and that if I don't fix it soon I'll be up for a jolly good heart attack and impending doom. That was two years ago. I did nothign about it for quite a while, kept eating poorly and drinking way too much. But I made it here, and today I tested 126 over 85, which is in a healthy range. I was happily shocked.

Still I must get to a doctor and get my cholesterol levels tested, and see what else they can test at the same time. If they're taking blood (which I hate) i want as many tests as possible from it.

This quitting smoking thing, eating well and exercising really works well!

Tinaa
2011-Mar-18, 01:31 AM
I haven't been able to do the quitting smoking thing. Well, I've done it several times but it didn't take.

Spoons
2011-Mar-18, 01:36 AM
I didn't have any trouble with it, after 15 years heavy smoking. I'm not sure whether that should be surprising or not.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-18, 04:39 AM
That seems to be one of the areas where there is a genuine difference between the sexes, with men tending to find it a lot easier to quit.

Spoons
2011-Mar-18, 06:12 AM
Really? I'd never heard that before. Interesting. My lady friend and I quit at the same time, and it hasn't bothered me, but she says it's fairly hard.

The only time I even think of a cig is if I'm really drunk.

For me, the fact that I get so much more out of every breath pretty much quells any interest in a cig.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-18, 02:43 PM
From what I read there's a fairly strong tendency for men to smoke because it's a social activity, while women tend to smoke because of the physical and psychological effects (pain and stress relief, lower appetite, etc.), so for many women e.g anxiety or stress is a trigger for craving which itself increases stress.
I've seen several (anecdote time:)) times where women trying to quit failed by using smoking as self medicated pain relief (e.g. while waiting for the dentist to be available to do a root canal).

IsaacKuo
2011-Mar-25, 02:49 PM
I went to the doctor for my regular quarterly checkup. Since my last quarterly checkup:

My cholesterol level went down from well above 200 to under 100 (meaning it went down from very high to normal level).

My HbA1c went down by an amazing 2.3 points from over 8 to under 6 (meaning my blood sugar went from almost out of control to normal levels).

Weight loss of 40 pounds from ~220 to ~180.

In light of these positive results, both my cholesterol and diabetes medications have been reduced. My doctor thinks that we may be able to eliminate medication altogether if things continue as they are.

Tinaa
2011-Mar-26, 01:47 PM
Wow Isaac! That is fantastic. I'm supposed to go in May to get my blood tests. I hope my results are as good as yours.

I'm still plugging away with my training and food plan. My goal this weekend is to bike 20 miles.

Barabino
2011-Apr-06, 08:22 PM
OK, so I've been inside the rehab clinic for fat people for a week...

The good news is that I'm losing weight and glicemia...

the bad news is that they say I have bipolar disorder
and "suggest" me to take a mood stabilizer... :-(

frankly, I'm here to solve a problem -- not to treat a new one...

BigDon
2011-Apr-06, 10:50 PM
Miss T, I'd like you to know that as of yesterday I went from 350 pounds nearly three years ago to a 36 inch waist, measured as of yesterday.

I'm sort of happy about that. And now I'm working to get my chest and shoulders bigger, to exagerate the difference.

I'm going to be ready for bikini season! I'm sure I'll catch some this year!

Tinaa
2011-Apr-06, 11:07 PM
Glad you are losing weight. I think my mood has been elevated quite a bit since I've been losing. All the extra exercise I've been doing may also be responsible for my good feelings. And the 34 lbs I've lost probably helps.

What all do you have to do at the clinic?

Barabino
2011-Apr-07, 07:47 PM
we really eat normal meals, just a little scanty
(of course no french fries at all;
cheese or pizza? only 1 every week etc.)...
and we must walk for 2 hours everyday... (at home I exercise a little more than this)

but we have to talk with at least 5 psychologists every week... :-|

usually all together as a group, sometimes face-to-face... :-(

so, the point here
is not to get slim in a month,
but to be less dependent on food...

but another drug is another dependency, isn't it?

that's why I'm a little worried... :-|

LaurelHS
2011-Apr-07, 08:59 PM
I'm trying to get in better shape lately also. I found out last month that my Body Mass Index is a little higher than it should be. I don't think I need to do anything too drastic though. I was eating waffles with syrup or greasy breakfast sandwiches in the morning but now I'm having Special K with lowfat milk instead. I'm also trying to cut back on the sugary snacks and desserts, but that's hard because I get depressed and want comfort foods. I'm taking long walks a few times a week and doing exercises to tone up my arms a little.

Tinaa
2011-Apr-09, 10:25 AM
I'm taking on a challenge today in Austin. I am running/walking in the Diva Dash. It is a three mile obstacle course run. A few months and many lbs ago I never would have even considered it.

Spoons
2011-Apr-12, 02:19 AM
Congratulations Tinaa! That's fantastic. How did you fare? Feel good after it?

Tinaa
2011-Apr-12, 10:46 PM
It was fun and I was darned glad to cross the finish line. Here is a little news story:
http://austin.ynn.com/content/277708/thousands-compete-in-women-only-obstacle-course

I've talked a couple of the ladies into doing the tri with me in May.

Spoons
2011-Apr-12, 11:07 PM
Great stuff! Those triathlons are brilliant motivators. A friend of mine did that and it got her busy training every day.

Good luck with it.

Tinaa
2011-Apr-13, 02:10 AM
It's got me working out everyday. I've lost 34.5 lbs.

Hubby and I are heading to San Marcos and Austin tomorrow to see if we can find me a new bike. The one I ride now is pretty awful. I think I'd like to do a couple of triathlons every year, so I need a decent bike.

Spoons
2011-Apr-13, 03:21 AM
Wow! Very impressive results!

Stick with it. I expect you're feeling so much better for it too. I know I'm feeling so much lighter on my feet these days. I'm really looking forward to the next time I get a chance for a game of squash or tennis - should float around the court.

Tinaa
2011-Apr-20, 11:33 PM
My tri is only 17 days away!

http://www.skeese.com/pages/News.html

Check out the video. I'm getting excited!

John Jaksich
2011-Apr-21, 03:14 AM
It is impressive to see the entries---I have my own struggle with weight----

Good Luck--Tinaa!

Tinaa
2011-Apr-24, 02:24 PM
I did get a Trek bike a week and a half ago. I love it! I can ride the whole tri distance (11.1 mi) easily. Adding the swim in front and the run after - won't be near as easy! But I am stoked.

Tinaa
2011-May-03, 12:29 AM
Gained a pound this week. Yes, I know that it is common to have off weeks. Still it is a bit disheartening. I even knew I over ate. I had a few margaritas and some fried foods, but I had a good time with my friends. And we ate out a couple of times this week.

I was also super tired from my tri training. My thighs were burning all week. I know they'll happy for a little healing time. I am so glad my triathlon is this coming weekend. I think I am ready! A few lighter workouts this taper week. And Sunday, I'm gonna finish my first tri!

IsaacKuo
2011-May-03, 12:50 AM
It's okay to have an off week. I'm having an off week right now. Ironically, I'm celebrating Wii Fit telling me I'm "normal weight" (started off obese, 60lbs ago). Oh well--back to overweight category! I'll make up for it this week, I'm sure.

Tinaa
2011-May-03, 01:35 AM
Wow! 60 lbs. I'm impressed. From my heaviest to my goal will be 76 lbs. My friend has lost 106 lbs on Weight Watchers. My daughter wants a Wii. Is it a fun way to workout? If I like doing this tri I'll sign up for another. But I'm looking for something different and fun.

IsaacKuo
2011-May-03, 02:03 PM
Wow! 60 lbs. I'm impressed. From my heaviest to my goal will be 76 lbs. My friend has lost 106 lbs on Weight Watchers.
Thanks! I'm not sure how much more weight I intend to lose. Certainly not 106 lbs--that would be a BMI of 16.15, or very underweight.

My daughter wants a Wii. Is it a fun way to workout? If I like doing this tri I'll sign up for another. But I'm looking for something different and fun.
Wii Fit has a good variety of games, but none of them provide the sort of intense workout you're used to.

Whether the games are fun or not depends on your level of skill. Experienced gamers find the games too easy and too quickly mastered. Others find the timing and balance games too difficult and the remaining straight exercise "games" offer little variety.

I find myself in the happy middle--just skilled enough to find most of the games enjoyable, but not trivially mastered. Still, I wish that there were more variety in the scenery. Wii Fit takes place on just one island, and it could easily have had more value with some more environments to explore.

That said, I haven't been playing Wii Fit for a couple months now. I've been getting my exercise by hauling the twins around the subdivision in a wagon. I've just been using Wii Fit to weigh in regularly.

Tinaa
2011-May-07, 02:30 PM
Tomorrow is my triathlon. I'm alternating between trepidation and excitement. My daughters are coming with me for support. Gonna be an exciting Mother's Day.

Tinaa
2011-May-08, 06:00 PM
I finished my first tri in 2:01:50. Not a great time but i did finish. I wanted to be done under 2 hours. The hills on the 11 mi bike were a surprise. There were many steep inclines. I guess they don't call this the Texas Hill country for nothing. MY swim was good but I walked half the 2 mi run. I am pretty happy. My daughters said I kicked butt and I was awesome. Pretty high praise from them.

IsaacKuo
2011-May-09, 09:24 PM
Hey, two hours of intense exercise is impressive to me! How long do you think you would have lasted at the start of your weight loss journey? I'd have been hard pressed to last five minutes.

Tinaa
2011-May-09, 11:14 PM
When I first started swimming again I had to swim a lap and walk a lap. I gradually worked up to swimming a mile nonstop. That's when I decided to train for the tri. I tried following the couch to 5k running program but my knees are too bad. They seem to be a little better as I lose. The biking was totally new to me. I do like it and will get better.

It was really hard but I do believe I shall do more of them. I had fun with my daughters and my friend. We met lots of nice ladies from around Texas. One of my daughters, who is also on a weight lost journey, has decided she wants to compete next year. That will be fun!

Spoons
2011-May-12, 07:42 AM
I've decided to quit drinking, initially due to the need to save money for a trip to visit family in Germany next year but also supported but the fact that even though all this exercise and healthy eating has made me feel healthier it's made no significant impact on my weight.

I expect the no drinking thing should make the weight fall off me because I was drinking very heavily.

It should also help me to get the rest of the stuff in my life better organised. Might finally clean out that spare room instead of hovering in a stupor over my keyboard.

Tinaa
2011-May-14, 03:43 PM
I don't drink much - especially on WW - uses too many points. I'm sticking to WW as a food plan, but I feel kind of lost as to my exercise plan now. I set a goal, finish the triathlon, and achieved it. I will do another and set a goal of a better time. But, until I decide which one - and it may be next year's Skeese Greets Women's Tri - I don't quite know what to do with myself. Last week I participated in a water aerobics class, swam, lifted weights and rode my bike. I just have no idea what to do next. I need a goal to work toward.

IsaacKuo
2011-May-16, 03:11 PM
I just have no idea what to do next. I need a goal to work toward.
How about a goal to explore as much of the area by bike as you can?

I made a goal of walking the little guys in their wagon all around the subdivision. Now, I'm starting to mix in a little jogging while pulling the wagon. The little guys really love the speed! If I can get my stamina up enough, this might even increase the radius I can get to, to explore more around the surrounding subdivisions.

The_Radiation_Specialist
2011-May-16, 05:46 PM
I'm 6'2" tall and 130 pounds. Somehow I can't get fat even if I eat a lot (and I do eat heaps!) . I got the genes from my dads side of the family (all skinny tall males). So I guess I'm kinda lucky in that department but it's nightmare to find t-shirts that don't look awkward on me. :(

Spoons
2011-May-17, 04:01 AM
How about a goal to explore as much of the area by bike as you can?

I made a goal of walking the little guys in their wagon all around the subdivision. Now, I'm starting to mix in a little jogging while pulling the wagon. The little guys really love the speed! If I can get my stamina up enough, this might even increase the radius I can get to, to explore more around the surrounding subdivisions.

Yeah, my uncle was showing me the GPS tracking program he has on his phone, which plots out your journeys, including elevations and speed. You could use something like that in so many ways - set speed challenges, elevation challenges, arty designs for walks... whatever you can think of.

I don't know if there are any similar things for jogging or whatever, but I've just entered into the Global Corporate Challenge, a walking challenge to see whose team can walk the greatest distance over a several month period. I like competitions, especially when I win them, so that's got be fired up to do a ridiculous amount of walking over the next 4 months or so.

Tinaa
2011-May-17, 04:38 AM
I have explored all the streets in this area. I live near a small lake and I've been all up and down the streets out here. To get to another area I'd have to go on the local FM. I really cannot tackle the "main" road because it is way too dangerous. It doesn't have a shoulder. I suppose I could load up my bike in the truck and go explore other areas. I do enjoy riding. I use my GPS on my phone when I ride. It maps the whole ride, says my pace and mileage out loud as I ride. It is kinda a cool.

I finally lost two more pounds this week after gaining one week and no loss last week. Both were due, in part, by poor tracking and margaritas.

Stug III
2011-May-17, 09:37 AM
Yeah, my uncle was showing me the GPS tracking program he has on his phone, which plots out your journeys, including elevations and speed. You could use something like that in so many ways - set speed challenges, elevation challenges, arty designs for walks... whatever you can think of.

I don't know if there are any similar things for jogging or whatever, but I've just entered into the Global Corporate Challenge, a walking challenge to see whose team can walk the greatest distance over a several month period. I like competitions, especially when I win them, so that's got be fired up to do a ridiculous amount of walking over the next 4 months or so.

Have you seen this? (http://www.mapmyrun.com/)

Spoons
2011-May-17, 10:35 AM
No, but I'll have to look into that more when I finally get away from work. Cheers! Looks interesting.

Sp1ke
2011-May-17, 01:18 PM
And I know several people who really like RunKeeper (http://runkeeper.com/).

Tinaa
2011-May-18, 12:50 AM
I use CardioTrainer (http://www.droidapps.org/cardiotrainer-get-into-shape-with-the-droid/). That way I can track biking, swimming, weights, most types of workouts. It'll show the route I rode and i can post it on facebook. My gym is starting a a rowing class for six weeks. i think I'll signup for the 6 am class.

Tinaa
2011-May-24, 12:37 AM
Hoorah! two more pounds which now adds up to 41 total. I have 35 more to go. Exercising everyday has become habit - I feel like I'm missing something if I have to skip one. Making healthier choices is normal now. I have very few clothes to wear anymore. Just the few I've added along the way. My friend, who has lost 108 lbs has passed down some of her old stuff.

My daughter has lost 30+ lbs and she emptied my closet last night. She's pretty happy to get a new work wardrobe. And I'm super proud of her hard work.

Spoons
2011-May-24, 03:19 AM
Nice work Tinaa!

I'm starting to find my shirts are mostly looking like parachutes now. Luckily I've lived a very varied life and have been relatively slim at times, so I still have some shirts and pants that I can't fit into but should soon be able to.

Another 3 kilos lost this last week.
ETA: it's slowing down a bit now, but I've only got another 10-15kgs to lose really. I've started doing squats though, while holding a loaded up barbell - wet weather is coming, so that's an alternative to jogging at times.

Tinaa
2011-May-25, 02:49 AM
Over six lbs is a week? That is pretty awesome.

I think I've grown a bit complacent. It is hard to keep up the drive to track the food, get up and workout every day. It gets old. It has become a habit more or less. I overslept this morning and didn't have time to go to the gym. I felt out of sorts all day.

Spoons
2011-May-25, 01:15 PM
Yeah, it ends up like a drug addiction - you're not doing it to feel good, but to not feel bad.

Eh, whatever it takes. I've got an addictive nature and it's the cheapest addiction going.

As far as the losing 6lbs per week - it's pretty easy when you start out at 115 kilos... the first 15 kilos falls off fast. It's the last 15 that takes a long time. For my build I expect I should be about 85 kilos - I'm a fairly solid build and I put on muscle quite easily, so those charts at the doctors are ridiculous. There's no way I could be 70kgs at 5 foot 11 without being super boney.

Tinaa
2011-May-25, 10:09 PM
The other day at work a friend told me I look good and probably should stay this size. I pulled up my shirt (she's a pretty good friend) to show her the fat that I still have - though I am looking much better. All she could say was. "Wow! you don't have any stretch marks!"

Perception is everything.

Spoons
2011-May-26, 12:23 AM
It sure is. I think the point of it all is to make sure you feel happy with where you are - from there you'll feel happier, thus look better (smiling people are beautiful people) and, if it even matter, others will appreciate how you look too.

adapa
2011-Jun-09, 12:02 AM
I came across this link (http://ernestineshepherd.net/) and thought that it would be appropriate for this thread. I think that the lady depicted is a great example and can be a source of inspiration to anyone regardless of fitness level.

Tinaa
2011-Jun-11, 12:48 AM
I have some lady friends I do water aerobics with on occasion who are 75+. I tell my friend Joan, who is 76, I want to grow up to be just like her. She is 30 years my senior and still going strong.

I've been lifting weights, riding a stationary bike and swimming. My rowing class starts Monday.
(I was thinking it would start his week. I showed up and no class.) My weight loss has be extremely slow - half a pound last week - but I had missed some workouts and attended a wedding, and went out for drinks, and I'm back on track this week. Maybe.

Spoons
2011-Jun-15, 03:06 PM
Rowing is fantastic exercise. Probably the best type you can get, I reckon, for a good balanced workout.

Tinaa
2011-Jun-15, 09:58 PM
First class was pretty easy - low tension, 3 minute intervals with one minute rest between. We were mainly working on form. Tomorrow may be another story. I'm already feeling a little sore from my weight workout today. I upped my weight and it was really hard. I may be sorry tomorrow.

Spoons
2011-Jun-16, 12:02 AM
Well, it is important to get the form right first up, because minor adjustments to that can make a big difference to the overall effectiveness of the exercise. As with all really, I suppose.

Heheh - that's probably one of the better burns life can give you.

Tinaa
2011-Jun-20, 11:54 PM
Well I have acquired a whole new respect for rowers. My stomach muscles are screaming, my shoulders are aching and my whole body is really tired. And I lost a pound. I'mglad that I'm swimming tomorrow. I need to stretch my stomach muscles.

Spoons
2011-Jun-21, 02:49 PM
Belated thanks Stug III! I just set up a login on that mapmyrun site. Looks like a handy site... I'm going to attempt to keep logging my exercise and dietary intake on there and see what trends I notice.

suntrack2
2011-Jun-21, 04:39 PM
I have seen some diabetic patients whose weight was beyond the standard height weight chart, I think potato,heavy mill along with more eggs, sometime late dinner habits or say irregular habits of in-taking food cause flatulence to the stomach result into indigestion, after coming in regular course of mobility one starts to eat more. Who are (especially ladies class who have joined the health club for exercise and later they leave the exercise or there is a vast gap between their exercise regularly, later they found their weight gains) sometime obesity like problem may persist in a common man or say particularly in the children may be related with thyroid problem.

one can avoid the spicy food if he/she wants to loss the weigh naturally, drinking water early in the morning is helpful for the better digestion and natural lubrication in the intestines, may result into better performance of the inner organs can be helpful to proceed static weight adherence.

one can avoid late night sleeping may also result into dimensia, or say uneasiness or we can say the stressful things appears in our body system cause harmonic imbalance result into rise in weight.

there are several causes for gains and loss in weight. fast palpitation in chest is the slight indication of having some troubles result into chronic situations may appear, in such case one can immediately check his/her blood pressure. normally found that the fatty peoples are having high BP (blood pressure) problem.

Suryanamaskar is such a exercise which can assist our body in better shape. You can try to control your body balance through this yogic(means yoga related) exercise.

practice of steady seating in chair is dangerous for our body system, it is better to move here and there while working, steady seating in chair and toggling our eyes on computer screen is not good one. movements are important.

walking is best exercise for those people who are having big weight problem. do not walk more, walk as you like happy. one can avoid over walking. but walking can reduce body mass.

if you are interested to know about "Surya Namaskara" exercise then later I will show you the picture chart for the same or you search the suryanamaskara in google.

sunil

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jun-21, 05:19 PM
walking is best exercise for those people who are having big weight problem. do not walk more, walk as you like happy. one can avoid over walking. but walking can reduce body mass.
Except that arthritic pains especially in the knees are a very common result of obesity and that will make walking essentially impossible in the amounts required for weight loss.
One of the most efficient forms of training once arthritis kicks in, is in a swimming pool, but showing up in a public pool while overweight is very hard.
Surya Namaskara is quite nice, I do it myself occasionally, but again, it's hard to do if already overweight and it puts stress on the joints that would make it impossible to perform for anyone with arthritic pains.

Tinaa
2011-Jun-22, 01:25 AM
Don't know about others, but I was (am still, but working on it) overweight because I ate too much and didn't move around enough. Happily that is fixable!

Spoons
2011-Jun-22, 05:00 AM
The not sitting for extended periods thing is easy to say but not so easy to just up and change. Some (probably many) of us have jobs that require intense amounts of work and are based at a computer workstation. I do try to take any excuse to get up from my desk, but there's a point at which productivity is reduced too much and you only end up costing yourself more time at work, which is at the expense of leisure/exercise time.

I'm based in my companys city office now, and I haven't been allocated a parking space. Darned if I'm going to spend $20 a day to come to work, so now I walk to and from work each day. It's not far at all, only around 3.4km (1.9mi) each way, but between that and a daily jog (hopefully daily - I go through stages where I don't because either work is too busy or I'm too boozed up or depressed or something else) losing weight isn't a problem at all.

The problem is that things always do come up. For example, the past 4 weeks I've had generally 14 hours work a day, every day (with barely 6 occasions of getting up from my seat per day). That only leaves 1-1.5 hours commute, 1 hour to make and eat dinner and hopefully the rest of the time I get to sleep rather than do more work at home. This sort of thing comes up pretty regularly, so it makes maintaining the healthy routine very difficult.

These sort of conditions for work/life balance shouldn't happen, but with the structure of our beautiful modern society, where businesses want more work from less people, hey, what can you do?

So now that I have a little time to get back to my healthy routine I'm going into it heavily. To be honest I don't particularly care about the health, just losing weight. But one hand washes the other.

Plus I've got that long run to build up to and I don't want to have to stop during it. Hoping to make two laps of the lake today.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jun-22, 07:59 AM
The not sitting for extended periods thing is easy to say but not so easy to just up and change. Some (probably many) of us have jobs that require intense amounts of work and are based at a computer workstation. I do try to take any excuse to get up from my desk, but there's a point at which productivity is reduced too much and you only end up costing yourself more time at work, which is at the expense of leisure/exercise time.
There's been some studies that suggest that "naturally slim" people are so in part because even when sitting down they are constantly fidgeting so just sitting down burns more energy.

Healthy eating habits helps a lot too, including not messing up the hunger reflex/feedback system by eating when not hungry or by eating up even though full or by replacing meals with high carb snacks or eating to compensate for emotional stress or, a pet peeve of mine, by drinking diet instead of real sodas (my hypothesis is that the sweetness of the taste triggers the digestive mechanisms to handle an addition of sugars, as no sugar is actually added to the system this means it instead depresses blood sugar, triggering a false hunger response, leading to overeating).

Spoons
2011-Jun-22, 08:12 AM
Yes, I've heard that before, about "naturally slim" people, although I myself am a major twitcher. My feet and legs are always jumping about.

I don't think I'm the best case study though, unless you're doing a study on the dietary effects of alcohol. (Which I am cutting down heavily, in order to get some real and more prompt results)

Tinaa
2011-Jun-25, 12:26 AM
i am constantly bouncing my right leg. It drives everyone crazy but it is just as big as the left one.

I am still whining about my stomach muscles. As I lifted weights today, I felt my poor stomach muscles crying in pain. Who'd a thunk that tricep curls would use my lower stomach?

suntrack2
2011-Jun-28, 07:04 PM
one has to be very careful while lifting any weight, sometime stomach gets a jerk and starts unbelievable pain, there is one simple "mantra" or say exercise to do : take a deep breath and say in mind "so---------(long......so) stop only for one second then release the breath out by saying (hummm) relax, then again repeat the same atleast for 5 times, one can get really relax in pain. The name of Mantra is "sohum".

wd40
2011-Jul-07, 10:18 PM
Now that obesity rates are starting to threaten US society itself http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/07/us-usa-obesity-idUSTRE7663JD20110707 then just like there are strict compulsory laws and severe sanctions governing smoking, motorcycle helmets, guns and safety belts that override "personal freedoms" and 'rights", "personal food responsibility" and "dietary self-control" will never work as long as high-calorific but unfilling tasty food is readily available, being that the human insulin system ensures that "the more you eat the hungrier you are", and I can yet foresee compulsory food rationing, computerised food coupons and medical chips, obligatory smaller portions and bans on certain foods, to prevent the average sedentary adult from ingesting >2000 calories per day, with draconian heavy fines and even some form of corporal sanction for being overweight (including children), lest US civilization literally collapse under its own weight! Remember that in Australia you get a heavy fine if you don't vote in a national election, something that is currently unthinkable in the USA, but could change in the future, so "liberties" can be 'trampled' on for the National good!

pzkpfw
2011-Jul-08, 01:52 AM
BAUT is not the place for that kind of political/social/cultural commentary. No more please.

Tinaa
2011-Jul-11, 02:43 AM
Spent the day at Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, Texas. Figure I burned more calories in the 10 hrs there than I could have with my usual exercise. I was not even uncomfortable walking around all day in my swim suit. Weigh in tomorrow. I'm down 43.5 lbs total. I am still losing slowly. Rowing at 6 am. My sunburn is going to make that class tough!

IsaacKuo
2011-Jul-11, 12:21 PM
I love that Schlitterbahn because it uses non-chlorinated river water for everything except a few rides.

I've been in weight maintenance mode for about a month rather than weight loss mode. Still, during this time I have lost around 5 pounds, for a total of around 75 pounds--down from an obese 225 to a healthy 150, or 1/3 mass loss.

The best part is that I have been taken off of my cholesterol medication. I can now eat grapefruit, my favorite fruit. Yum!

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-11, 01:41 PM
Congratulations to both of you.

Especially Tinaa on being comfortable in swim suits again.

That's one of the nastier catch 22's of weighing too much you've gotten away from now.
Often swimming is the only form of training that really works because arthritis is a common result of obesity, but it's basically impossible to go to a public swimming pool because of how devastating it is to have other people look at one in swim wear.

Tinaa
2011-Jul-17, 09:03 PM
After a tiring day at Schlitterbahn, we hit Six Flags Fiesta Texas on Tuesday. It was really fun. The lines were very short so we made almost every ride - even made it to the water park to ride the Tornado. Scary!

I only got to my rowing class and swam a mile this week. One 10 hr day and a 12+ day at amusement parks wore me out. Tomorrow is weigh in. Ugh!

Isaac, how long did it take you to lose 75 lbs? MY goal is 76 lbs and these last few weeks have not been going so well. I've only lost an average of .8 lbs per week the last couple of months.

And thanks Henrik. I've still got a long way to go and it seems like it is taking forever. I know I'm learning a whole new lifestyle but, dang, can't they make a pill for this, or something?

IsaacKuo
2011-Jul-18, 02:43 PM
Isaac, how long did it take you to lose 75 lbs? MY goal is 76 lbs and these last few weeks have not been going so well. I've only lost an average of .8 lbs per week the last couple of months.
About 7.5 months. The last month or so has been up and down, as I have gone from "weight loss mode" to "weight maintenance mode".

There was a significant bump downward when I was taken off my cholestoral medication. This let me eat grapefruit again for the first time in years, so I gorged myself on them. It turns out that no matter how many grapefruit I eat, it adds no permanent weight. But grapefruit is very filling so it offset a lot of food I would otherwise have eaten. So, even though I wasn't consciously in "weight loss mode", I still ended up losing weight.

I don't need to lose any more weight, but I do need to build up some upper body muscle mass (think the "before" picture in Captain America).

Still, I could lose another 5 pounds to get to the 145lb level that Wii Fit claims would be my ideal body weight. But I definitely don't want to do that at the expense of what little muscle mass I have.

IsaacKuo
2011-Jul-18, 02:53 PM
Oh--I'm still eating lots and lots of grapefruit. I just love the taste and mouth feel. I really like the mouth feel of biting into chilled grapefruit or tomatos--I like the splash of cold juice combined with the texture of the pulp.

The bulk of my current diet is whole grapefruit (minus the outer peel), whole tomatos (sprinkled with celery salt), and salad (oil and vinegar dressing). I also eat strawberries, and sometimes whole oranges, apples, or pears for a little variety. Basically, any whole uncooked fruit or vegetable is good. Honestly, it's mainly because it's lazier than cooking them, but it doesn't hurt that it's a lot healthier.

In the past, I drank a lot of fruit juices and V8. Now, whenever I want some cold juice I eat a grapefruit or tomato or some strawberries straight from the fridge. I enjoy them more than I ever enjoyed juice. They're like smoothies but with more interesting texture. Now that I'm used to whole fruits and vegetables, I'd really miss the texture with juice.

grapes
2011-Jul-18, 06:20 PM
Isaac, how long did it take you to lose 75 lbs? MY goal is 76 lbs and these last few weeks have not been going so well. I've only lost an average of .8 lbs per week the last couple months.A pound a week is awesome. You're more apt to have acclimated to the new habits if you don't lose a lot suddenly.

Tinaa
2011-Aug-04, 12:33 AM
Good week so far. I lost two pounds and started back to spin class. I really surprised myself. Rowing class ended last week and I knew I needed to get back to spin. I hadn't been in quite awhile so I was kind of dreading it. I hopped on the bike and started warming up. The ride was supposed to be a lot of hills - great! But it really was pretty great! I was able to do all standing runs - a major improvement for me. I really have built up some strength and endurance. HA! Didn't lose many lbs. but I did go down another dress size. YES!

Spoons
2011-Aug-04, 12:48 AM
Nice going Tinaa!

I got myself a new phone last week - and Android OS. And the GPS actually works on it too. This means I can record my walking directly to that mapmyrun website and keep track of it better - now I record all my exercise with that and it's an extra encouragement to go for walks. I just love gadgets!

Started playing squash once a fortnight with a mate of mine - got that today after work. I love squash.

And I went to the doctors last week for something. While there I was asking him about health stuff - he asked about my diet and then suggested moving my dinner to lunch. Basically, he reckoned I should try get 60% of my nutrition in at breakfast, or at least try get 80% in by lunch time. So I've started just having a small sandwich for dinner and cooking up a decent size lunch for work. Feeling a heck of a lot better for it - nice not going to bed bloated. (I know, this is an obvious one, but as a little kid I grew up in a househole where mum always made large, often fairly late dinners. Whatever dad had on his plate we had the same serve and that continued to be my routine.)

IsaacKuo
2011-Aug-07, 02:52 PM
Going down a dress size is awesome! I've gone down from XL (40in waist) to S (28in waist). Nevertheless, I still don't have anything like a flat stomach unless I'm standing and suck it in. Right now I'm working on building up some upper body muscle--which I've never had before. It was less obvious when it was covered up by fat.

Here's a tip for getting a little fresh fruit and fiber at even the most unhealthy restaurant--eat the slice of lemon!

Step 1: Order water or ice tea with lemon.
Step 2: Squeeze lemon juice into water or tea if desired.
Step 3: Optionally sprinkle salt on the lemon slice.
Step 4: Eat the lemon pulp (simply take bites out of it). The salt takes some of the edge off the extreme tartness.
Step 5: Optionally sprinkle the rind with salt.
Step 6: Eat the rind. I find that the rind is actually much milder than the insides.

Now you can eat the rest of your meal guilt free. ;)

DoggerDan
2011-Aug-07, 11:15 PM
Week 1:
Mon - Weights/Lower
Wed - Aerobics/Lower
Fri - Weights/Upper

Week 2:
Mon - Aerobics/Upper
Wed - Weights/Both
Fri - Aerobics/Both

It takes me half an hour for each day.

I've been doing it for about ten years, and am pretty fit.

The first poster mentioned concerns about sticking with it. When I began working our regularly, I was sort for about a week before it went away. I don't push hard. Instead, I increase weight incrementally for each muscle group until I reach the beginnings of a burn, then move to another group. For cardio, I vary my heart rate throughout it's training range. By varying the routine, I can watch TV or read a book every other workout. I said to myself "it's just part of my work" and did it before breakfast. That way it's just something I do, not something I have to gear myself up to do.

If I can't make a workout, I don't worry about it and just catch the next one.

closetgeek
2011-Aug-08, 01:10 PM
I actually have some questions regarding workout and nutrition. My first question is how to time it. Currently, I am doing a daily 20 minute treadmill program which involves a brief warm up; three minutes of slower paced walking (first 1 minute of 2 mph, then 3 minutes of 3 mph) on the second minute of 3 mph, the treadmill starts to gradually incline. It eventually tops out at 4 mph on a 6 degree incline. I don't know if this kind of workout is low or high impact and was wondering if someone could help me understand the difference. Secondly, do you include the warmup and cool down part of the program as the total minutes of the workout or am I technically only working out for about 15 minutes?

Recently, I've also added 5-6 minutes of jogging on the treadmill, after I complete the 20 minute program. I started out, last week, at 5 minutes of jogging at 4 mph, but I've worked it up to 6 minutes at 4.5. My ultimate goals are to run an 8 minute mile and to burn a minimum of 250 calories per workout, at which point, I quit smoking. I am also not sure about whether or not it being high impact or low impact matters, once I reach burning 250 calories/workout.

On the nutrition side of it, I recently learned that I am slowing myself down by creating too much of a calorie deficit. I read that you are supposed to be taking in a minimum of 1800 calories/day to avoid sending your body into panic mode. I am taking in, maybe half of that and most if it is calories from my coffee. It's something that I am trying to fix but as soon as I start eating normal, I blow up. I've been slowly introducing not just food but food with nutritional value. At the present time (not a permanent solution) I am drinking a Special K shake for breakfast, for the calories and the vitamins. My question is, are the values in the shake similar to the vitamins you would get from eating foods or more like the vitamins you would get from taking vitamin suppliment pills? I heard there was a big difference between the two.

IsaacKuo
2011-Aug-08, 01:58 PM
If you're overweight and you want to lose weight, less than 1800 calories per day is definitely okay. My diabetic dietitian recommended a 1200 calorie per day diet for me when I needed to lose weight. Was my body in panic mode? It sure felt like it for several months, at least. Just make sure you aren't dehydrated and eat if you feel light-headed or short of breath.

As for the exercise numbers and vitamins--I'm confused about those issues myself.

In particular, I'm wondering when I should eat protein (like nuts or meat) with respect to strength exercise. I know that unlike calories, the body can't store proteins. So I wonder whether I should eat protein before or after a workout, and by how much. Many of my meals have little or no protein (just salad, fruit, and/or non-starchy vegetable).

closetgeek
2011-Aug-09, 02:04 AM
If you're overweight and you want to lose weight, less than 1800 calories per day is definitely okay. My diabetic dietitian recommended a 1200 calorie per day diet for me when I needed to lose weight. Was my body in panic mode? It sure felt like it for several months, at least. Just make sure you aren't dehydrated and eat if you feel light-headed or short of breath.

No, I am really not overweight, maybe a few vanity pounds but I'm in the healthy range. My two biggest obstacles in quitting smoking are the weightgain and the depression. Smoking a pack a day burns 200 calories and it stimulates the feel good receptors (the name suddenly went out of my head). I chose running, in hopes of the runners high counter-acting the depression I go into when I quit and I am trying to increase the calorie burn to counter the 200 calories I will no longer be burning from smoking.

So I am not the only one having a hard time sorting myth from fact, when it comes to a healthy diet and workouts?

Tinaa
2011-Aug-09, 10:02 AM
Getting the good nutrition is where WW helps me. You count your points and keep up with veggies and fruits, dairy, healthy oils, and liquids.

If you want to start a running program try the couch to 5K or C25K.

According to current guidelines, one needs to get at least 30 min of exercise a day to be healthy. I've read that to lose weight, one needs at least 30 min of exercise a day; to keep it off an hour a day.

Best of luck with quitting smoking - I can't seem to manage to quit.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Aug-09, 12:10 PM
I've read that to lose weight, one needs at least 30 min of exercise a day; to keep it off an hour a day.
Shouldn't that be the other way around?

And it's still going to be the fallacy of thinking exercise will cause weight loss (apart from the very temporary liquid loss) when instead it's the muscle gain that's important.

profloater
2011-Aug-09, 03:20 PM

And it's still going to be the fallacy of thinking exercise will cause weight loss (apart from the very temporary liquid loss) when instead it's the muscle gain that's important.
Not a fallacy I think; apart from tending to favour muscle over fat, exercise causes an increased metabolic rate which persists long after the exercise finishes, this will use up more calories. There are always trade offs though like joint damage but on the positive side the higher impacts in typical exercises will enhance bone growth and calcification. Some evidence it stimulates the immune system too. However I agree with the implication that it is mainly intake control which brings weight loss.

closetgeek
2011-Aug-10, 01:51 PM

There are a lot of myths about exercise and it's hard to find a good source of information. Muscle gain is a major factor, especially when going from a predominantly sedentary lifestyle to an active lifestyle and it will slow the decrease in actual weight. I think when people are talking of weight loss, they are speaking in terms of fat percentages. Exercise alone will do very little for you if you are not taking in less than you are using. What you mentioned about the water loss was actually another interesting thing I learned...

Tinaa, funny you should mention the 5k because I was looking up how to train for distance running (I haven't done any distance running since I was on the track team, 21 years ago). One of the sites was training for a half marathon. He was saying that when you start out, you should weigh yourself immediately before and immediately after you run and drink enough water to bring your weight back up to what it was before you ran. I was actually surprised to see how much weight you actually lose, just in sweat, from a 25 minute workout. Unfortunately, distance running is going to have to wait till I get the proper prosthetic equipment, though. I got a little over ambitious in the beginning and after only a ten minute jog, rubbed the bottom of the amputation site so raw that it bled through the cushioning. I was incapacitated for a few days but I learned to respect my limits. :)

Tinaa
2011-Aug-11, 12:36 AM

Give me a day or two. Super duper busy right now. I'll get you some data!

Tinaa
2011-Aug-11, 01:00 AM
http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=24521&sc=806

This was what I was writing about. The WW article has good footnotes if you want to verify the data.

closetgeek
2011-Aug-11, 08:06 PM
http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=24521&sc=806

This was what I was writing about. The WW article has good footnotes if you want to verify the data.

What!?! 300-400 calories per session? For crying out loud, what do they think we are; health nuts? :)

profloater
2011-Aug-11, 08:20 PM
Lumberjacks have an excellent muscle to fat ratio, and so do hotel housestaff. Making beds to a schedule is about as hard work as felling trees with an axe. For those without axes or multiple beds, running up stairs is very energetic and usually free. Also very hard to eat much while running up stairs so the pounds just get left behind. It could be a new stairway to fitness club: backside watchers.

Tinaa
2011-Aug-16, 04:19 AM
Lost another lb this week - 48 total. Yay! I was complaining to one of the trainers that some other people I know, who are also trying to lose weight, are losing faster than me and they aren't even exercising like I do! Granted, I'm known to drink and margarita or a beer or two and I eat out when the occasion arises, but still! I work out at least six days a week. I swim, spinning class, lift weights and ride my bike. They just limit their calories. He told me to just keep doing what I'm doing and I'll still be healthier this time next year.

IsaacKuo
2011-Sep-20, 06:18 AM
I had my quarterly check up today. My cholesterol and blood sugar numbers continue to be great, so my doctor has DC'd my metformin medication also. I am now on zero medications! That's down from three medications (one for high cholesterol and two for type 2 diabetes).

Since the start of the year, I have gone down from 225 lbs to 140 lbs. Besides the obvious benefits to my cholesterol and blood sugar levels, I also simply feel healthier and more energetic than ever before.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Sep-20, 07:06 AM
I think the most proper response to that is "Woohoo!" or perhaps "Yahoo!" but the latter is apparently trademarked these days.

grapes
2011-Sep-20, 01:20 PM
I had my quarterly check up today. My cholesterol and blood sugar numbers continue to be great, so my doctor has DC'd my metformin medication also. I am now on zero medications! That's down from three medications (one for high cholesterol and two for type 2 diabetes).

Since the start of the year, I have gone down from 225 lbs to 140 lbs. Besides the obvious benefits to my cholesterol and blood sugar levels, I also simply feel healthier and more energetic than ever before.Good to hear! Especially that you have your physician involved, 225-140=85 lbs in let's see 262 days, that's a pound every three days, with just seven free days. Impressive numbers.

Tinaa
2011-Oct-21, 11:35 PM
I've not been losing but I haven't been gaining either. I've been staying pretty active. Next Saturday I ride in my first Tour de Pecan. It is only a fifteen mile ride - quite long enough for my first.

IsaacKuo
2011-Oct-24, 06:34 AM
Not gaining is good! How much more would you like to lose?

I have been steady since reaching my goal weight (between 140lb and 145lb). There is naturally some fluctuation, but I know what I need to do whenever I stray. When my weight went below 140, I think I was losing muscle strength so that wasn't good. Gaining weight is a piece of cake. Stopping the weight gain or losing is tough, but I find it doable.

My efforts at regulating my weight are almost entirely based on controlling my food intake. I do get some exercise, but I don't factor it in one way or the other. However much exercise I get, I get. It's the food intake that I dial down/up.

Tinaa
2011-Oct-24, 10:02 AM
I'd like to lose about thirty more. I haven't been tracking my food like I must. Been feeling very stressed and I am a stress eater. I'm not unhappy with weight now. I feel pretty good but I know my knees would be much better with the extra weight gone. I just have to make up my mind to stick to the program, again, to make my goal.

IsaacKuo
2011-Oct-24, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I know how that is. I'm a stress eater also, or at least I was. I've been striving to invert that dynamic by reacting to stress by controlling my food intake.

The entire period of my weight loss, I was actually under a lot of stress. Often, it seemed like my weight was the only thing I had a measure of control over. I may not have any control over X or Y or Z, but every time I think about reaching for a snack and not doing it, it feels like a minor victory.

There were a few times when I worried that I might be headed toward an eventual path to anorexia, but any of those worries were unfounded. I still find it really really easy to eat and gain weight on a dime.

Tinaa
2011-Oct-24, 10:55 PM
That's a good way to look at it. I can't control much, but can control what I eat. I am super good about getting up and getting active. I ought to be able to put down that tortilla! :doh:

closetgeek
2011-Oct-25, 01:02 AM
That's a good way to look at it. I can't control much, but can control what I eat. I am super good about getting up and getting active. I ought to be able to put down that tortilla! :doh:

I thought feeling good about making a better choice would eventually give me a dopamine surge but nothing comes close to the feeling I get from naughty foods. When you find it, let me know.

swampyankee
2011-Oct-25, 12:48 PM
I thought feeling good about making a better choice would eventually give me a dopamine surge but nothing comes close to the feeling I get from naughty foods. When you find it, let me know.

My personal weakness is Italian pastry (and there are a lot of good bakeries around where I live...). They lose that specialness when I have them more often than once a month or less. I find that I can get a good dopamine surge from walking my hyperactive dog. Much less than three or four miles and a few squirrels, she feels so cheated.

IsaacKuo
2011-Oct-25, 01:47 PM
One trick I use is to frame each eating decision as a choice between what I'm thinking of eating and what else I might eat instead.

For example, if I'm thinking of eating a graham cracker, I think to myself, "Would I rather eat a graham cracker or a truffle?"

I find it easier to avoid a snack if I think of it as saving those calories for a better snack later. And often, I never get around to that later snack. It's part of my principle to only eat things that I will really enjoy.

profloater
2011-Oct-26, 04:24 PM
I have had to look at recent pictures and have decided to lose weight. Being an inventor I have invented my system called "weight and see" The rules are simple. I set myself a target of 0.1 kg per day reduction that is about 3.5 ounces. I made a chart of target weight per day and I weigh myself every morning. If I am at or below target I eat "normally" whatever I like, however if I am above target I fast that day and just have lots of tea. This is now three weeks into my plan and I have only have to fast for four days in that time including the first day. I find I lose about 1.6 kg on the morning after a fast day. Even though it's early days I am lighter now than I have been for about ten years! It would work for anyone who like me finds fasting for one day easy. It is guaranteed to work! And I really do eat whatever I fancy on the eating days. Fasting days include no alcohol of course and no sugar in the tea. The ritual of finding out in the morning makes it easier to fast as compared to missing a mealby chance which is more uncomfortable.

IsaacKuo
2011-Oct-26, 07:41 PM
Fasting entirely may not be a good idea because it will make your body store fat on the non-fasting days. I'd suggest maybe trying to eat three "meals" of a fruit or uncooked non-starchy vegetable. The fiber content will make up for the calories, and your body will still be getting a regular dose of calories so it doesn't trigger a fat storage response.

On the other hand, maybe your tea already has some minor coloric content?

profloater
2011-Oct-26, 11:22 PM
Fasting entirely may not be a good idea because it will make your body store fat on the non-fasting days. I'd suggest maybe trying to eat three "meals" of a fruit or uncooked non-starchy vegetable. The fiber content will make up for the calories, and your body will still be getting a regular dose of calories so it doesn't trigger a fat storage response.

On the other hand, maybe your tea already has some minor coloric content?No one day fasting does not trigger that and only a feedback plan will work for me. Fasting for one day is actually easier on the will power than reduced eating since the first mouthful sets off the hunger train. I do take milk in the tea but that for the day would only make up about a hundred Calories. Water would do but I like tea. I believe the insulin cycle ends by storing fat but the science is that if I keep to a reducing target, the body has to work out the fat maths internally. Fasting definitely is using up stored calories and once the liver has sent out its balance sheet, the fat must get converted. Since it is just one day at a time, the starvation metabolism does not kick in. (That's my story anyway!)

Tinaa
2011-Oct-30, 12:21 AM
I finished my ride. It was fun. I really should have signed up for the 30 mile ride. I was happy to find out that I am in better shape than I thought I was. It was pretty chilly at the start but about half way through I had to take off my windbreaker. Turned out to be a beautiful day in Geronimo, Texas for the Tour de Pecan!

Tinaa
2012-May-13, 08:38 PM
Fast forward a bit... I have kept off the weight I lost, have not yet reached my goal. I did finish the triathlon today 15 minutes faster this year than I did last year. I did not train extra this year, I just swam, biked and occasionally got on a treadmill. SO I am in a bit better shape than I was.

LookingSkyward
2012-May-16, 09:30 AM
Great job, Tinaa! Really, really great to hear!

HenrikOlsen
2012-May-16, 10:15 AM
As a slightly relevant comment, I think I've started a weight gain journey.
Took up bicycling (part of the way) to work about a month ago, I'm currently averaging 5km/day, and as I'm rather fat free, I expect the resulting increase in muscles will result in a weight gain.

elizabeth25
2012-May-16, 11:23 AM

I do realize that I will have to exercise for the rest of my life

I quit smoking 10 weeks ago, and feel great, i have so much more energy than before so i joined my local gym about 3 weeks ago, i only do 60-90 mins every morning, as my son only goes half a day at school, i also do aqua arobics 2-3 times a week too, i am starting to notice the difference already, i agree it has become a habit for me, i cant wait to get to the gym first thing in the morning, and i love aqua arobics, i get there 30 mins early and some lengths before it starts, i have cut down on fizzy drinks a lot, i only have 1 can of coke a day (before it was up to 6), i drink water or fruit juices. I really dont mind if i have to do this for the rest of my life, only wish i started a long time ago, but hey, better late than never, right?

IsaacKuo
2012-May-16, 01:55 PM
Since my minimum weight half a year ago, I've gained back about ten pounds. This is okay, since I really had lost too much weight and the last five pounds seemed to be all upper body muscle mass. Still, I'd like to lose that last inch or two off my waist again.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-07, 06:23 PM
I just joined Weight Watchers yesterday. We'll see how it goes.

Tinaa
2012-Jul-08, 01:24 AM
It works if you write down EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. I've been halfway keeping up and the pounds started creeping back. I'm back on again and lost a pound last week!

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-08, 05:27 AM
Years ago I found myself way overweight, having spent about ten years gaining it.

I started cycling and haven't regained it since. Ever since I moved here last year, I've done a lot of hiking, too. Different muscles! I still do about 20 minutes of calisthenics in the morning - pushups, situps, plank, barbells, knee bends, etc.

Tinaa
2012-Jul-09, 02:33 AM
I signed up for a 40 mile ride on this coming Saturday but my friend only thinks she can do 25. I think 25 will be fine for me too. There is another tri in San Marcos in Sept. Trying to decide if I want to put myself through it again. I get so freaked out before it starts but I feel pretty awesome when I finish. Will have to start working out a bit more. Since I'm back on WW seriously now, training may keep me motivated.

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Jul-09, 05:22 PM
Over the last year and a half I have lost about 60-70 lbs. Doing a lot more physical work eating little less because I can't afford all the junk food I use to eat.

Tinaa
2012-Jul-14, 04:22 PM
I finished in a little under two hours. My tire stated going down about five miles from the finish. I just kept on pedaling. I was either that or spend an hour trying to change a flat on the side of the rode.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-16, 07:49 PM
I've lost 2 pounds so far.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-16, 10:02 PM
I signed up for a 40 mile ride on this coming Saturday but my friend only thinks she can do 25. I think 25 will be fine for me too. There is another tri in San Marcos in Sept. Trying to decide if I want to put myself through it again. I get so freaked out before it starts but I feel pretty awesome when I finish. Will have to start working out a bit more. Since I'm back on WW seriously now, training may keep me motivated.
I've recently started biking and have just gotten up to 2*8 km (about 2*5 miles) a day, as that's the distance to work and back.
I think I'll have to pull back to only doing that every second or third day as I apparently haven't gotten to the point where I recover fast enough to do it all the time, definitely feeling old and broken.
And I think I'm gaining weight from this (not much fat to lose, not much muscle to start with).

Tinaa
2012-Jul-17, 12:47 AM
I lost one pound this week.

Henrik I now recover remarkably fast! I was a bit tired after the ride but I was fine by the next morning. I've been working out at least five times a week for a year and a half. I'm amazed that my body has done so well after I mistreated so badly for so many years. I have to get a good weight lifting routine started because I know it helps build lean muscle. I hate lifting weights. I still need to lose 30+ pounds and I really need to quit smoking. I'm still on the journey.

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-21, 06:21 AM
Hi, folks - I'm proud of 'ya!

Tell you what - I'll work out an hour a day on those days when someone posts that they worked out for an hour a day. How's that sound? I'll respond here and tell you what I did!

- DD

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-21, 02:59 PM
Does that inlude 2*30minutes of bicycling? 'Cause then you can start working all workdays as that's about what I do getting to and from work

Tinaa
2012-Jul-21, 05:52 PM
I usually get in 45 minutes a day. I just cannot seem to get up and leave early enough to get the extra 15.

Tinaa
2012-Aug-11, 12:45 PM
I started rowing class this week, again. My stomach muscles are not happy. On the other hand, two spin classes a week and swimming a couple of miles no longer make me sore. My weight loss is still not progressing like I would like. I know I need to add another day of weight lifting no matter how much I hate it. And I need to stay out of the beer and wine. Nothing's better than putting on my suit when I get home and spending time with The Hubs floating in the pool, with a glass (or three) in hand, and talking about nothing in particular.

DoggerDan
2012-Aug-18, 12:16 PM
Does that inlude 2*30minutes of bicycling? 'Cause then you can start working all workdays as that's about what I do getting to and from work

Henrik, I've been giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, and have been doing 145 BPM exercise 3x per week since I made the offer. In addition, I've been walking two miles at least twice per week, as well.

I'm glad you're doing that to and from your own work!

I think this is about getting healthy. Tinaa's working towards that, and I support her.

Noclevername
2012-Sep-13, 11:15 PM
I just made my 5% of my starting body weight loss at Weight Watchers. Not bad for 2 months membership.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Sep-14, 07:34 AM
I got my fasting plasma glucose down from 7.8 mmol/l to 5.6 mmol/l in 3 months of every day, both ways, at least some of the way, ignore all comments about what other people do, cycling.

Which means I'm officially out of pre-diabetes territory, though still predisposed.

Noclevername
2012-Sep-14, 07:45 AM
Congratulations, Henrik. Here's hoping for continued good health.