PDA

View Full Version : Who actually keeps a blog?

Inclusa
2011-Jan-29, 04:31 AM
What I find is: Blogger is from Google, so I decided to opt out.
Live Journal has too much ads.
Tumblr? Too much harmful materials.
Wordpress, I have to download something, so this is beyond the point.

Fazor
2011-Jan-29, 05:08 AM
You don't have to download anything for wordpress. That's what I use (obviously, based on the url ;))

Strange
2011-Jan-29, 10:50 AM
What I find is: Blogger is from Google, so I decided to opt out.
Live Journal has too much ads.
Tumblr? Too much harmful materials.
Wordpress, I have to download something, so this is beyond the point.

Blogger is nice and simple. But limited. (It is possible to extend it but it is pretty complex)
Wordpress is very good whether you use it hosted by them or host it yourself. (you want wordpress.com not wordpress.org)
TypePad is probably good because it is based on the MovableType package but it is not free.

p.s. don't why you are bothered about Blogger being owned by Google; they will index your site anyway.

KaiYeves
2011-Jan-29, 02:57 PM
I use Tumblr, although I don't think of it as a proper blog because it doesn't feature material created by me on a regular basis.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Feb-01, 11:25 AM
I use WordPress exactly because it's something I installed myself so I can mess around with the code a bit. So far the only thing I've done is to make it add links between parallel Danish and English version pages of my very seldomly updated gardening blog.

jokergirl
2011-Feb-01, 01:22 PM
I use wordpress (on their servers, so I don't have to download anything) and I like it a lot better than the others I have tried. Blogger is quite clunky in comparison.
I have a Livejournal but it's private and more in use for social networking than blogging. It's what us oldtimers used before there was facebook ;) I wouldn't recommend it for blogging and I'm a bit iffy about the new owners, but there is a feature that lets you export the old posts from LJ to wordpress if you happen to have one.

;)