PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Whole Sun View .. Coming Soon from STEREO

Fraser
2011-Jan-31, 07:10 AM
“For the first time in the history of humankind we will be able to see the front and the far side of the sun … Simultaneously,” Madhulika Guhathakurta told Universe Today. Guhathakurta is the STEREO Program Scientist at NASA HQ. Courtesy of NASA’s solar duo of STEREO spacecraft. And the noteworthy event is timed to [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/82947/first-ever-whole-sun-view-coming-soon-from-stereo/)

George
2011-Jan-31, 02:21 PM
Wow! Man has never witnessed the dark side of the Sun. I wonder if that side is orange, too? [hehe]

Philippe Lemay
2011-Feb-10, 07:29 PM
In that sneap-peak video they made it sounded like the black bar on the far-side was going to be the last part missing, and that they were soon going to map it too. But in the video they've since released stating that the whole map of the Sun is complete, it looks like they didn't really map it all out properly, not yet anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Far_side_of_the_Sun_3D_STEREO_crop.jpg

From what I understand the probes will eventually circle the whole sun, so they will be able to fully map the far-side eventually. But why the rush? Where they pressured to produce results before they could properly finish a full map? Because while I know it's not their intent to deceive us, the current far-side map looks a bit like a bad photoshop. No offense meant to the scientsist who worked on the project of course it is a great accomplishment. But as I said, it seems rushed.

George
2011-Feb-12, 06:23 PM
I think the celebration is for the fact that the probes will finally, for the first time, be in a position to directly observe the entire back side. How well the imaging looks is incidental to the positioning.

Philippe Lemay
2011-Feb-12, 09:52 PM
They will... but they're not quite their yet. To really map the far side it looks like we'll have to wait just a few more weeks, so they can really map the whole thing. Right now the Earth and the 2 satellites form two 90 degree angles and one 180 degree angle. Once they are all in place to form three 120 degree angles, THEN we will truly be optimally placed to full map it.

At least that's how I understand it to work. I acknowledge I don't have a degree in heliophysics. lol

George
2011-Feb-12, 10:45 PM
It seems they have chosen the 180 deg. angle between them to be the definitive moment. But since the Sun is a big sphere, you are right that they will need a little more movement away from the Earth to get that last little bit that can't quite be seen when at 180 deg. Based on my heliochromology experiences, we may as well join their enthusiasm 'cause they don't even even have the color right but seem to be having the most fun with it. :)