PDA

View Full Version : Experiment: Communications faster than C

pkay
2011-Feb-01, 08:20 AM
Firstly, please forgive me for this question. I am just a hack, but I donít know who else to ask and I donít have the resources. Maybe this has already been done?

1: Take a laser in the lab. and shoot it through 2 slits.
2: Observe the Interference Pattern (IP) on a screen.
3: Close one slit and the IP disappears (standard stuff).

4: Repeat the experiment but this time, after the light passes through the 2 slits, it has to travel all the way to the moon and back (the slits and screen are still in the lab).
5: Close one slit and time how long until the IP changes.
6: If it takes the same amount of time for light to propagate to the moon and back, wellÖno show.
7: If the change in the IP was immediate, then we have communications faster than C.

antoniseb
2011-Feb-01, 03:12 PM
You could probably do the experiment more cheaply in one of the LIGO labs.

Boratssister
2011-Feb-01, 04:18 PM
May be using fibre optics in the double split experiments could yeald surprising results?

loglo
2011-Feb-01, 08:01 PM
The interference pattern is built up over many photon detections. It will not change instantly if one slit is closed, though it will instantly stop being built up.

Ken G
2011-Feb-01, 08:19 PM
The result of that kind of experiment is already known-- it will take the light crossing time before the pattern changes. I can't say exactly what experiment showed that, but it's basic to the quantum mechanics, and the quantum mechanics has been tested over and over in many ways.

WayneFrancis
2011-Feb-02, 12:33 AM
Firstly, please forgive me for this question. I am just a hack, but I don’t know who else to ask and I don’t have the resources. Maybe this has already been done?

1: Take a laser in the lab. and shoot it through 2 slits.
2: Observe the Interference Pattern (IP) on a screen.
3: Close one slit and the IP disappears (standard stuff).

4: Repeat the experiment but this time, after the light passes through the 2 slits, it has to travel all the way to the moon and back (the slits and screen are still in the lab).
5: Close one slit and time how long until the IP changes.
6: If it takes the same amount of time for light to propagate to the moon and back, well…no show.
7: If the change in the IP was immediate, then we have communications faster than C.

No need to use the moon. That would actually only complicate things. We can very easily detect something like this in the lab. Not surprisingly its has never haapened