PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible that the stars are our creators?

jamescollins93
2011-Feb-02, 05:30 AM
My teacher said something to me today in earth/space science that gave me a spark of inspiration. She said once you get to the nuclear level matter can be created, so does that mean the stars sheer nuclear power the creation of all things in the universe and a sub group to the multiverse? I also think this could be the cause of 2012. Our time is up and the Universe knows it. Could nuclear power be the key to a complete new global genetic era?

antoniseb
2011-Feb-02, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the BAUT forum jamescollins93.

Matter has been around since just about the beginning, 13.7 billion years ago. For millions of years all there was of the kind of matter we are made of was Hydrogen, Helium, and a little bit of Lithium. Once the stars started forming, they converted a lot of that Hydrogen into heavier elements in energy-producing nuclear processes. These same processes have been going on for at least 13.3 billion years, and can keep going on for hundreds of billions more. There is no evidence in Astronomy that the end of the universe is about to happen, or that somehow we've been singled out to have our time be up. Don't be confused by people trying to make easy money selling books and lectures.

Hornblower
2011-Feb-02, 01:24 PM
There are hard core doomsday believers who thrive by spinning pseudoscientific conjectures that may seem convincing to many novices, but really are just a lot of hocus pocus.

Jeff Root
2011-Feb-02, 03:31 PM
The origin of matter and energy is unknown, but it pretty clearly
originated about 13.7 billion years ago in the "Big Bang". After
that, matter and energy have combined together in lots of new
and interesting ways, but no additional matter or energy seem
to have been created.

The bit about the end of the Mayan calender next year is so
silly that it doesn't really have anything to do with astronomy
or science-- just storytelling. People love to tell completely
unbelieveable stories that other people believe.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Strange
2011-Feb-02, 04:10 PM
She said once you get to the nuclear level matter can be created

To be strictly accurate, energy can be converted to matter (and vice-versa - the famous E= Mc2). But you can't create (or destroy) matter or energy.

Matter has been around since just about the beginning, 13.7 billion years ago. For millions of years all there was of the kind of matter we are made of was Hydrogen, Helium, and a little bit of Lithium. Once the stars started forming, they converted a lot of that Hydrogen into heavier elements in energy-producing nuclear processes. These same processes have been going on for at least 13.3 billion years, and can keep going on for hundreds of billions more.

An excellent summary of the last 13 billion years.

WayneFrancis
2011-Feb-03, 12:41 AM
My teacher said something to me today in earth/space science that gave me a spark of inspiration. She said once you get to the nuclear level matter can be created, so does that mean the stars sheer nuclear power the creation of all things in the universe and a sub group to the multiverse? I also think this could be the cause of 2012. Our time is up and the Universe knows it. Could nuclear power be the key to a complete new global genetic era?

oooookay....
First many of the atoms in your body are made from stars.
2nd matter can be created and destroyed yes. E=mc2 So you can convert energy to mass and mass into energy with the right conditions.
3rd there is no cause of 2012 beyond how we created our calendar. That year is no more special physics wise then 2011 or 2013.
4th there is no indication that the universe "knows" anything in mental terms.
5th "Could nuclear power be the key to a complete new global genetic era?" is about as nonsensical as "could the colour red be the key to faster cars"

Nuclear power has been around since the big bang. As long as there has been atoms heavier then hydrogen there has been the possibility for that atom to fission into 2 parts by some process. What do you think its significance actually is in today's day and age in relation to what ever a "new global genetic era" actually means?

BadTrip
2011-Feb-03, 06:35 PM
The origin of matter and energy is unknown, but it pretty clearly
originated about 13.7 billion years ago in the "Big Bang". After
that, matter and energy have combined together in lots of new
and interesting ways, but no additional matter or energy seem
to have been created.

The bit about the end of the Mayan calender next year is so
silly that it doesn't really have anything to do with astronomy
or science-- just storytelling. People love to tell completely
unbelieveable stories that other people believe.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

According to the current standard model, wouldn't it be said that the origin of energy is unknown?... The model does a decent job of explaining the origin of matter, no?

BadTrip
2011-Feb-03, 06:37 PM
5th "Could nuclear power be the key to a complete new global genetic era?" is about as nonsensical as "could the colour red be the key to faster cars"

from the frame of reference of any police officer in the nation, red cars are always faster. ..... doppler profiling, you know.

Jeff Root
2011-Feb-03, 07:57 PM
All energy that we normally deal with is embodied in matter.
Without matter of some kind, the energy couldn't exist.
And of course, all matter embodies energy. Without energy,
matter couldn't exist. Matter is really a category of energy.

The one possible exception that I can think of is dark energy,
which we know almost nothing about. Dark energy might be
able to exist without matter. But that is purest speculation.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

cosmocrazy
2011-Feb-07, 05:03 PM

"is it possible that we are created by stars"

Not only is it possible, it actually is, at least the building blocks we are formed from!

We are carbon based beings and that carbon was born inside stars during their evolution many years past. But there is no evidence that stars create anything consciously (at least as we know it) its just one of the natural process of the universe we are part of.

baric
2011-Feb-07, 05:23 PM
Every atom in your body that is not hydrogen was formed inside of a star or as the result of a star going supernova.

antoniseb
2011-Feb-07, 06:12 PM
Every atom in your body that is not hydrogen was formed inside of a star or as the result of a star going supernova.
Not quite true... some of the lighter elements, especially Carbon are spewed out well before the supernova event, perhaps from stars that never will be supernovas...
But basically, yes.

baric
2011-Feb-07, 07:54 PM
Not quite true... some of the lighter elements, especially Carbon are spewed out well before the supernova event, perhaps from stars that never will be supernovas...
But basically, yes.

I said 'or'! Yes, most elements are formed by nucleosynthesis in the core, but there are a few heavier-than-iron elements that are formed only in supernovas. That's why I added that part.

antoniseb
2011-Feb-07, 08:06 PM
I said 'or'! ...
D'Oh, yes you did. Sorry.