PDA

View Full Version : My desktop just recovered from a crash

Sticks
2011-Feb-04, 10:09 PM
This evening my Advent PC had problems booting up

I first tried the "Auto repair" put on by the Tech Guys of PC World and then tried the start normally, which so far it has

I got a dialogue box with this text (copy and pasted)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1
BCP1: 82A242F6
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 0000FFFE
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020411-01.dmp
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-77438-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC3F.tmp.versio n.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

It said check for solutions which I clicked but so far has said no more

Any clues?

Sticks
2011-Feb-04, 10:12 PM
Last night I had a problem when I had a DVD in from work, which should be just a load of web pages and picture and documents related to where I work and for some reason the monitor went blank and I had to do a hard restart. May be related?

Not sure if it was related to some weeks back when there was a power failure with my PC on at the time.

Sticks
2011-Feb-04, 10:15 PM
On the auto repair it said something about hardware, but I have not added any recently

John Jaksich
2011-Feb-05, 04:59 AM
Sorry to hear it---

It is possible (and it is an educated guess) that your hard drive is corrupted or O/S is corrupted . . . .

Best of Luck

John Jaksich
2011-Feb-05, 05:46 AM
Another thought---you might try to get a utility disk for your particular brand of "hard drive" and have the hard drive scanned.

Sticks
2011-Feb-05, 10:14 AM
Using Blue Screen Viewer I got this

==================================================
Dump File : Mini020411-01.dmp
Crash Time : 04/02/2011 22:03:51
Bug Check String : APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
Bug Check Code : 0x00000001
Parameter 1 : 0x82a242f6
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x0000fffe
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+4afe7
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.0.6002.18267 (vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020411-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 139,288
==================================================

Is my system doomed?

Is this likely to re-occur?

Tazelaar
2011-Feb-05, 12:50 PM
I don't know conclusively, but I suspect it's some sort of hardware/software (driver) clashing with Vista. My hunch and limited research points me to a possible RAM<-->Vista conflict.

What kind of computer do you have (specs)? Do you have any SD card readers or something of the like?

Sticks
2011-Feb-05, 04:33 PM
Manufacturer: Advent
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor 2.2GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
System Type: 32 bit operating system

Windows Vista Home Premium

Sticks
2011-Feb-05, 04:34 PM
I have a card reader, but it was not plugged in at the time

Hlafordlaes
2011-Feb-05, 10:00 PM
It said check for solutions which I clicked but so far has said no more. Any clues?
Yes. That is a useless message from MS. Ignore it.

Last night I had a problem when I had a DVD in from work, which should be just a load of web pages and picture and documents related to where I work and for some reason the monitor went blank and I had to do a hard restart. May be related?

May indicate a bad video or monitor driver, or a virus loading from the CD. See below.

Not sure if it was related to some weeks back when there was a power failure with my PC on at the time.

Comments:
I get blue screens of death (BSODs) all the time and live with it (Win7). Under XP Service Pack 3 it was less frequent and easier to fix, but ever since Microsoft changed the driver model for Vista/Win7, it is a question of when and not if a PC will become unstable. Be it from a Microsoft, application, or driver update, one can assume that at some point BSODs will start occurring on a previously "perfectly" configured system. (After further automatic updates, a system may also become stable again.)

Most BSOD help instructions request that you do a thorough check of your physical memory sticks (RAM). Do this no more than once a year if you are not overclocking and if you have not physically moved your system (if the latter, always open the case and re-seat all mem sticks, add-in cards, and cables, and make sure the cpu cooler is still tightly attached. Vacuum out the dust bunnies!). Memory sticks do go bad but only rarely and mostly from mistreatment by overvolting and overclocking.

Generally speaking, if you have a habit of making a backup whenever you save an Office document, keep applications with autosave features set to a comfortably short time so not much is ever missing after a crash, and make sure any important work files do NOT reside on the same hard disk partition as Windows (usually C:\), you can traipse along and just reboot when things go awry.

All that being said, at least once a month, and/or following two or more consecutive BSODs, you should do standard maintenance:

- Run checkdisk: In Win Explorer right click a drive, choose Properties, select Tools tab, click Check Now... in the Error- Checking section, and select the check box to automatically fix file system errors (don't check the other box). Windows will require a reboot and will check for damaged files on the C:\ drive and clear them out.
- Clean out old stuff: In Win Explorer right click a drive, choose Properties, under the General tab select Disk Cleanup, choose among the options of which old files to delete, and also go to the More tab and ask to delete all but the last restore point.
- Now run the defragmentation tool on the same Tools tab where you found chkdisk.
- Google "SysInternals" and download the PageDefrag tool from MS in order to defrag system files not touched by the normal defrag routine.
- Update virus definitions and do a full scan.
- From the Start menu, choose the Run dialog box and type in "sfc /SCANNOW" (sans quotes), making sure you have the original Windows install CD handy. This process will identify bad or missing OS files and replace them with a good copy.
- Now do a manual Windows Update. NEVER accept hardware drivers from MS UNLESS there is no driver available elsewhere; use the ones you can get from the system or component mfgr.
- Visit the web site of your system or components and follow instructions to install the latest drivers for your system (usually this entails chipset, video card, sound, keyboard/mouse).
- If you are a brave soul, make sure your BIOS and firmware are up to date. The BIOS can be maintained with tools from your system or motherboard mfgr; firmware by hard drive and optical drive mfgrs. If you have a PC guru around, get him/her to do this part.

If you want to move beyond MS's standard tools, I suggest:
- PerfectDisk: not free. Great defrag tool and the best all-around IMO.
- CCleaner: Free. Cleans out all the junk and maintains the registry in good shape.
- SpyBot Search&Destroy. Free.
- SpywareBlaster. Free.
- CPUID. Free toolset, google it and get all their goodies.

Inclusa
2011-Feb-06, 03:21 AM
Have anyone tried a whole system of Solaris or Linux?

Solfe
2011-Feb-06, 04:12 AM
Inclusa:
I use Linux all of the time. In fact I had a simular issue to Sticks with vista that caused me to switch just a few weeks ago. My issue was different though, my display on the laptop would "desolve" in to this blocky mess. When I plugged into a monitor, sometimes the screen was fine and other times it didn't work at all. I suspect that I had a heat issue and my video card is dying, but Ubuntu is gentler on the card.

I have Ubuntu 10.10 on two machines on a second and Xfce on a third. Prior to switching to the Ubuntu base I was using Xandros. For some reason the support for that disappeared and the system was odd in the first place. The gang here suggested a lot of software and OS's to try.

For Sticks: I'm not suggesting you leap to Linux/Ubuntu. If you have specific tasks that you are used to using Windows for a switch can be a headache. Now if you just use the machine for the basics like word processing and web surfing, then by all means switch. Its a good system, I like the look of Xfce but Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.10 are also good.

I would see if you can get a disc for your particular machine. I would call the manufacturer first and then if they are unavailable or too expensive, I would check local repair shops. The shop will likely want to sell you a service over a disc, but that might be cheaper than the manufactures price. eBay prices for such discs can range from miraculously cheap to massively expensive. Another place to look is thrift shops. I picked up a windows 98 disc and Mac OS 10.3 for $20 total and that included 2 computers for parts. Here is the secret - don't simple check the cds they have, open the cd drives of the hardware on the shelf. Many people have more serious pc problems and put the discs in just as the machine dies the donate the dead machine. In both cases I asked the sales clerk if they meant to sell the discs with the computers and they looked at me like I was insane then gave me the answer they thought would end the conversation. The didn't understand that OS discs are very expense. :)

Sticks
2011-Apr-17, 01:33 PM
On 27 and 28 March I had the identical crash and from Blue Screen Viewer gave this

Mini020411-01.dmp 04/02/2011 23:03:51 APC_INDEX_MISMATCH 0x00000001 0x82a242f6 0x00000000 0x0000fffe 0x00000000 ntkrnlpa.exe ntkrnlpa.exe+4afe7 NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 6.0.6002.18327 (vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432) 32-bit C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020411-01.dmp 4 15 6002 139,288

PC World's Tech Guys had put some Start up recovery program on it and it took it back to a restore point

Again I felt it related to a CD that had autorun on it using the command ShellExecute.

I had also been using Windows movie maker, which prior to a reinstall of Windows had a habit of crashing the system if I manipulated .avi files

I thought by keeping this CD well away from my desktop that would be a work around

This morning, I had an identical crash with this APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

I have not run that CD or done extensive work with WMM.

I do note that on Friday there were 26 Microsoft updates

When it ran the identical start up recovery program and taking back to a restore point again, it downloaded those 26 updates again.

Any clues?

I went to PC world after church, but the technician I spoke to in September has left.

Could a power cut on 13 December have caused this, I spoke about it at the time (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/107608-Problems-with-my-desktop?p=1829302#post1829302), The lass who was staffing the Tech Guys station suggested this, but admitted she is not a techie

astromark
2011-Apr-17, 08:56 PM
What would I do...? Go to 'control panel' and delete any new downloads. 'Delete' history and cookies. look for 'System restore' and pick a date a week or so back and 'Go'. and if this does not fix it all after a completed shutdown and restart... Unplug the Desktop and take it to a service agent... and I wish you well...