PDA

View Full Version : candlelight, dinner for two, fine wine & conversation...

trinitree88
2011-Feb-06, 05:04 PM
Ah! Dinner for two, a bottle of fine wine, great food & conversation over candlelight, leads to many memorable evenings in the civilized world....but what if the candle flickers mysteriously? That'd be the Crab nebula....once thought a "Standard Candle"....though to be prudent, this paper needs to be rewritten a bit for acceptance. It has, however lots of the names of the big wheels in the industry...Gehrels, Kouvelioutou,Baumgartner, Connaughton, Zhang, Bhat..etc SEE: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1010/1010.2679v2.pdf

A.DIM
2011-Feb-07, 05:20 PM
Thanks Pete, although I must say I bit off more than I can chew with that one ... let alone digest!
I'm allegic to shellfish but do they go well with Cepheids? I ask because I read recently they too - cepheids - aren't so standard either.
I'm a little less civilized so I'll just have some brew while I wonder whether or not the rungs in the ladder which comprises cosmology's distance scale are to be believed...
Cheers!

BigDon
2011-Feb-07, 05:31 PM
Crap.

You know this changes everything?

trinitree88
2011-Feb-07, 07:18 PM
Thanks Pete, although I must say I bit off more than I can chew with that one ... let alone digest!
I'm allegic to shellfish but do they go well with Cepheids? I ask because I read recently they too - cepheids - aren't so standard either.
I'm a little less civilized so I'll just have some brew while I wonder whether or not the rungs in the ladder which comprises cosmology's distance scale are to be believed...
Cheers!

A.DIM; Yep, Cepheids can vary a bit too. It's tricky business finding long term standard candles, but that's the science and the art of it all.
I join your brews for many hearty meals though....some just aren't the same without it. As for the distance scale, there's a chance there's trouble brewing yet, it's an interesting time to be following astrophysics. Cheers. pete

astromark
2011-Feb-08, 07:23 AM
Are we missing the point ? Science wins... every time.
As the methods are refined. The equipment improves. The measurements are getting very much sharper...
NO. the baby is not being thrown out with the bath water... but we have installed a hand held shower.
Safer, cleaner, and more precise. Science wins. That's good. The candle has been seen to flicker, and we know why.
Glass of port and fine cheese, also good. Its a win win.