PDA

View Full Version : Eyewitness recollection

Swift
2011-Feb-10, 03:30 PM
Considering that "UFOs as ETs" proponents often rely on eye witness accounts as "proof" of this concept, I thought this study from the Journal of Experimental Psychology (http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/News-imemdiate-questioning-of-witnesses-harms-recollection-021011.aspx?et_cid=1104329&et_rid=54636800&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.laboratoryequipment.com%2f News-imemdiate-questioning-of-witnesses-harms-recollection-021011.aspx) (reported on in "Lab News"), was interesting. The study focused on criminal investigations, but I still think it relevant.

People who witness a crime and are tested about it immediately afterward are more susceptible to misinformation, making it more difficult to recall the facts accurately later.

When an eyewitness is asked to make a police statement about a crime, memory can be clouded by misinformation—possibly introduced unknowingly by law enforcement, or through erroneous online accounts or news reports—by the time the witness is asked to provide testimony in court, in what researchers call “retrieval-enhanced suggestibility,” or RES.

“There are many cases in which misinformation is introduced unknowingly to people,” says Jason Chan, assistant professor of psychology at Iowa State Univ.

“It could be police, or through friends, or a number of sources. And people can confuse their memories, even if it’s information not specifically pertaining to that witnessed case. For example, if you saw a bank robbery and later saw a movie depicting bank robberies, whatever you remember from that movie—which has nothing to do with the real-life case—can interfere with your ability to recall the real-life case.”

LotusExcelle
2011-Feb-10, 04:51 PM
Despite evidence that eyewitness testimony is clearly faulty even when "fresh", I doubt this will deter UFO-as-aliens proponents from claiming that eyewitness a, b, and c are trustworthy for whatever reason. Even beyond that I'm amazed eyewitness testimony is not better vetted and tested in courts of law.

Garrison
2011-Feb-10, 11:05 PM
The UFO proponents take the exact opposite view, they often seem to regard eyewitness testimony as the most compelling evidence, unfortunately juries often feel the same way.

Fazor
2011-Feb-11, 07:22 PM
And then there's the misguided notion that people in various fields are exempt from these problems. "But it was an ex pilot/military official/police officer/Duke of Eddington/celebrity/ufo expert/reporter/etc!"

Oh well.

Gillianren
2011-Feb-11, 07:33 PM
I've finally worked it out! Ex-pilots/military officials/police officers/Dukes of Eddington/celebrities/UFO experts/reporters/etc. aren't actually human and therefore aren't subject to human failings!

AstroRockHunter
2011-Feb-12, 08:22 PM
I've finally worked it out! Ex-pilots/military officials/police officers/Dukes of Eddington/celebrities/UFO experts/reporters/etc. aren't actually human and therefore aren't subject to human failings!

Then why would these ET's out themselves:confused:

I thought they all wanted to take over the planet secretly:silenced:

Gillianren
2011-Feb-13, 01:36 AM
Ah, but for whom? They could be different aliens.

Bozola
2011-Feb-13, 06:26 AM
What irks me the most is that the quality of UFOs have severely decreased since I was a child (admittedly a looong time ago). It used to be lumpy silicon-based lifeforms in silver suits with outrageous technology studded with astrological symbols. Now it's all jittery dots on YouTube (with the obligatory Slayer sound track) and anal probes by overgrown fetuses.

Give me a good old Dalek, anyday.

Garrison
2011-Feb-13, 02:09 PM
What irks me the most is that the quality of UFOs have severely decreased since I was a child (admittedly a looong time ago). It used to be lumpy silicon-based lifeforms in silver suits with outrageous technology studded with astrological symbols. Now it's all jittery dots on YouTube (with the obligatory Slayer sound track) and anal probes by overgrown fetuses.

Give me a good old Dalek, anyday.

Yes strange how the quality of the encounters seems inversely proportionate to the spread of CCTV and camera phones, almost as if those older encounters weren't real...

Luckmeister
2011-Feb-14, 06:04 AM
give me a good old dalek, anyday.

"exterminate"