PDA

View Full Version : One thing Chinese TV series almost always mess up: Corns and yams in Ancient China.

Inclusa
2011-Feb-15, 07:42 AM
Corns (maize) and yam came to China in late Ming Dynasty from the missionaries (I believe), but the TV series almost always mess this up. Presentation of these crops in
an earlier period than that sounds ludicrous.
Someone probably needs some education on agricultural history.

vonmazur
2011-Feb-16, 01:38 AM
I thought the ancient Chinese sailed to South American and Mexico and brought these back with them??

Dale

Ronald Brak
2011-Feb-16, 02:07 AM
I thought the ancient Chinese sailed to South American and Mexico and brought these back with them??

I don't think there's much evidence for that.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Feb-16, 06:49 AM

Dale
I though that journey was from a science fiction story.

Jens
2011-Feb-16, 07:09 AM
It is from an SF novel, by Gavin Menzies, called 1421.

vonmazur
2011-Feb-17, 02:02 AM
Never read it.....IIRC Discovery or someone like that did a program on this, expalining how the Chinese got Peppers and other plants from the west.

Dale

JonClarke
2011-Feb-19, 10:24 PM
What "Chinese TV series"? When are they set?

Yams (Dioscorea) are also native to Africa and Asia.

Other species called Yams include taro (native to south and east Asia) and sweet potato, which spread westward from central America via Polynesia, perobably pre European contact.

"Yams" are not neccessarily anachronistic in a film about China.

Inclusa
2011-Feb-20, 03:24 AM
Corns are presented in ancient China before late Ming Dynasty often enough.

JonClarke
2011-Feb-20, 03:59 AM
There was extensive trade with Spain and the Ming dynasty from the mid 16th century. The Ming dynasty ended in the mid 17th century. Once source indicates that sweet poatoes were introduced to China in 1560. Along with maize these were apparently proactively purchased and introduced.

So maize and sweet potatoes are not anachronistic in a film set in the late Ming or Manchu periods.

It is quite impressive how the central American food crops were spread round the world in less than a century, mostly by he Spanish and Portunguese.