PDA

View Full Version : My first telescope, NEED HELP?

stargazer1657
2011-Feb-21, 09:29 PM
Hi all, I recently purchased my first telescope a few days ago. It is an (old) brass telescope on a wooden tripod. I am trying to figure out the basics as to maintaining it and using it. It is pretty tarnished and has some wear on the tubing (gives it charchter) but actually works!!!!! The eyepiece at the back unscrews and allows me to slide out the closest lens which is housed in a brass tube that is about 3 inchs long with a lens on both sides.There appaers to be another one further in (larger and housed like the first from what I can tell, and of course the main lens at the end. They all seem to be in ok condition. There are therads on the underside the base where their it mounts, am I missing something that should be here. Can anyone inform me as to the quality of this type of lens setup, and what type of use I can get out of it. Also, is it old or just made to look that way? Any insight or direction would be awesome!!!!!!!!

Hornblower
2011-Feb-21, 11:52 PM
Hi all, I recently purchased my first telescope a few days ago. It is an (old) brass telescope on a wooden tripod. I am trying to figure out the basics as to maintaining it and using it. It is pretty tarnished and has some wear on the tubing (gives it charchter) but actually works!!!!! The eyepiece at the back unscrews and allows me to slide out the closest lens which is housed in a brass tube that is about 3 inchs long with a lens on both sides.There appaers to be another one further in (larger and housed like the first from what I can tell, and of course the main lens at the end. They all seem to be in ok condition. There are therads on the underside the base where their it mounts, am I missing something that should be here. Can anyone inform me as to the quality of this type of lens setup, and what type of use I can get out of it. Also, is it old or just made to look that way? Any insight or direction would be awesome!!!!!!!!

My bold. I cannot tell what you are trying to describe here. Can you clean up this sentence?

I would try looking at the Moon through it for starters. I would recommend looking for an astronomy club where you could pick their brains. You could have anything from an antique jewel of a small refractor to a piece of junk. Some experienced observers could help you in evaluating it.