PDA

View Full Version : Undergrade info

hdram225
2004-May-09, 10:18 PM
Hi, I am new here and thought you all could help me out. I am currently an undergrad physics major at Oklahoma State University. I've just recently become interested in astronomy but i really love it and want to double major in physics and astronomy, but osu doesnt have an astronomy program. So, I will be transfering pretty soon(probably next spring). My top choices are the University of Oklahoma(because of location) and the University of Wyoming(because it seems great and my father got his PhD there). Right now, i think UW is more impressive in their undergraduate program, but it is very far away from my family and it will be more expensive. If anyone has any comments about either of these schools that would be great!! I'm really at a stand still right now and need to make a decision soon!! Thanks,

Heather

milli360
2004-May-09, 10:53 PM
From your father, you probably already know what Laramie is like (altitude, cold weather, wind, etc.) Did your father get his PhD in astronomy at Wyoming? I think their astronomy program is built around their infrared scope (http://faraday.uwyo.edu/observatories/wiro/), right? I visited it about twenty-five years ago.

hdram225
2004-May-10, 12:01 AM
My sister also went to UW a few years ago, and she told me all about the weather and everything. my dad was there for Geophysics, so he couldn't really tell me too much about the astronomy program. There are three observatories that the university uses, and I think the Infrared is more for graduate use, but the star observatory is for undergraduates. I just found out that I am going to go up to Laramie for my brother-in-law's brother's graduation, so I will get to take a tour of the school.

Heather

milli360
2004-May-10, 09:18 AM
Hey, OK State and WYO still share a mascot, don't they?

I'm sure you'd enjoy going to school at Wyoming--I and my six brothers did. :)

hdram225
2004-May-10, 12:48 PM
Yep...both cowboys, but I honestly think that Wyoming would have a better claim to it...I mean, there really aren't any cowboys in Ok anymore...just hicks really. What all did you like and dislike about UW?...and Laramie too?

milli360
2004-May-10, 01:40 PM
I believe the physics and astronomy and geophysics programs were/are good--but it's been awhile! The petroleum engineering is good too, as are the geology and math departments. But sometimes it's a matter of individuals.

Laramie is a small town, but it's only two hours from Denver, so it's close to a lot of resources. Same for skiing, hiking, mountain climbing. The 7200 feet altitude can take your breath away, but you get used to it quickly. It had a lot of bad publicity recently over the Matthew Shepard killing--I'm sure your relatives have given you a better perspective. Before he met up with his killers, he seemed to be thinking that it was a comfortable place to live and go to school.

hdram225
2004-May-10, 02:15 PM
I believe the physics and astronomy and geophysics programs were/are good--but it's been awhile! The petroleum engineering is good too, as are the geology and math departments. But sometimes it's a matter of individuals.

Laramie is a small town, but it's only two hours from Denver, so it's close to a lot of resources. Same for skiing, hiking, mountain climbing. The 7200 feet altitude can take your breath away, but you get used to it quickly. It had a lot of bad publicity recently over the Matthew Shepard killing--I'm sure your relatives have given you a better perspective. Before he met up with his killers, he seemed to be thinking that it was a comfortable place to live and go to school.

haha...thanks for the creepy info!!...but yeah...it seems really cool. I have been to Laramie once, and I'm going next week, so I will get to see first hand what it's like now.