PDA

View Full Version : Is Earth In Imminent Danger From Inbound Meteors?

Factoid
2004-May-10, 04:30 PM
http://www.bushcountry.org/news/may_news_pages/g_050204_withheld_earth_danger_inbound_meteors.htm

When I came across this article this BB seemed like a natural place to post it and ask all of you for your take on this article. Is this guy a delusional paranoid or there's something really going on?

Wolverine
2004-May-10, 04:43 PM
Is this guy a delusional paranoid or there's something really going on?

If I had to go out on a limb, I'd wager the former rather than the latter. :wink:

The content of that posting is so horribly wrong on so many levels.

Note, at the bottom:

One of our site visitors mentioned that the sources for the writer who submitted the article to us noted above is found on forums on the following three websites

... the primary sources are rense.com and GLP. Survey said: [X] [-(

Kaptain K
2004-May-10, 04:45 PM
To answer your questions in order:
Maybe (probably!).
No*

*As my astronomy professor would have put it: "About as much chance as a celluloid dog chasing an asbestos cat through hell".

ToSeek
2004-May-10, 05:07 PM
Comet tails are hard vacuum for all practical purposes. Earth went through Comet Halley's tail in 1910 (with similar panicking) but suffered no ill effects.

Russ
2004-May-10, 05:16 PM
I'll go out on a limb here and predict that this is total Bravo Sierra. Reasons:

1) The writer does not know the difference between a comet and an asteroid. That or his sources don't.

2) The writer does not cite references or sources, so this inforation cannot be verrified by peer review. A very good ** indicator.

3) Comets LINEAR, NEAT and Bradford have orbits that do not intersect Earths' orbit. Further they do not intersect each others' orbits or even nearly so.

4) April 16th has come and gone with no astronomical disasters being inflicted on Earth.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture.

I am in agreement with the late Gene Shoemaker. We will know that there will be an extinction level event impact when the object enters our atmosphere. :o :cry: :) :D :lol:

Dgennero
2004-May-10, 06:27 PM
It seems some people are bored enough to wish for an impact.
If an impact really were imminent, and a disastrous one at that, there would be no ominous radio intercept, secret operations, conspiracies or cover-ups.
You'd read it announced by the proper authorities, boldest letters ,page one in the New York Times and every other newspaper worldwide, because there are too many independent detection sources, too many people involved to keep this in the closet.
The current POW scandal in Iraq shows that major issues cannot be kept secret. There will be a leak somewhere.

beskeptical
2004-May-11, 03:24 AM
This has been brought up: here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13373&highlight=meteor+storm)

We go through cometary tail debris all the time. That is what meteor showers are. Comet tail material is too small to have an meteoroids of any significant size short of big pieces of the comet itself.

AGN Fuel
2004-May-11, 04:03 AM
We are in no danger from meteors.

Now, meteorites on the other hand........ :lol:

Wolverine
2004-May-11, 04:39 AM
Picky, picky. :P

:wink:

TravisM
2004-May-11, 11:22 AM
No, imminent...
Yes, eventually... (given enough time how can they miss?)

[edit]

Oh, and 'they' would tell us. It would get leaked. There are too many astronomers out there. We'd all know the day it was gonna happen, where it would hit, and we'd evacuate. Unless it was a 'planet killer'. (I didn't like that movie...)

beskeptical
2004-May-11, 10:39 PM
No, imminent...
Yes, eventually... (given enough time how can they miss?)

[edit]

Oh, and 'they' would tell us. It would get leaked. There are too many astronomers out there. We'd all know the day it was gonna happen, where it would hit, and we'd evacuate. Unless it was a 'planet killer'. (I didn't like that movie...)But there have been three NEOs recently that either weren't seen until they had passed or were only seen within days of their closest approach.

But don't let me get any more woo woo rumors started out there. If you want something to worry about, consider motor vehicle accidents. 8-[

ocasey3
2004-May-11, 10:45 PM
I just re-read Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle and it is great at describing what it might be like if something massive hit the Earth. It is a little dated but scary none the less. :o